Removing load bearing wall - building inspector needed?

We're about to have some work done to remove a load bearing wall between kitchen and dining room. The builder who is quoting is reputable and says we can involve the buildings inspector, at a cost, but he has done many similar jobs and knows the size steel required. I have faith in his skills but just worry that if we don't get it inspected it might come back to bite us when we sell. Apparently we could take out an indemnity at small cost, should this happen? I know the safest thing all round would be to get building inspector involved, but would rather avoid the delay and the cost - am I mad?

If the builder is as good as you claim, he should be able to reference the relevant law, and be keen to do so.

any builder that doesnt use an inspector for this work is dodgy and a cowboy, if you remove a load bearing wall it has to comply with building regs and you need an inspector to sign it off. you dont have to use the council as this takes a long time and expensive, we use a firm called ASSENT building control, it will cost you £180 plus your architect fee which you also need to do the calcs. mad not to as when you come to sell! yes you can buy an indemnity but why not do it right in the first place?

any builder that doesnt use an inspector for this work is dodgy and a cowboy, if you remove a load bearing wall it has to comply with building regs and you need an inspector to sign it off. you dont have to use the council as this takes a long time and expensive, we use a firm called ASSENT building control, it will cost you £180 plus your architect fee which you also need to do the calcs. mad not to as when you come to sell! yes you can buy an indemnity but why not do it right in the first place?

I agree with this 100%.....

Do it once do it right is my moto....

defo need building regs for future selling of the house ta jeff

You don't necessarily need a building inspector to comply with building regs, and while I might expect to need one to inspect and sign off the job, he cannot do that until it is done...

You don't necessarily need a building inspector to comply with building regs, and while I might expect to need one to inspect and sign off the job, he cannot do that until it is done...

but you do need a structural engineer to calculate the loads rather than relying on a builder who says hes done it before??? each property is different, only a mug doesnt get the Calcs checked

I dont think you can buy an idemnity if you go about it this way . Idemnity ins is only if you lost your certificate it is illegal to try to get around planning this way

Edited by spider1

Thanks all - good to know we don't need the council at any rate! cheers

Thanks all - good to know we don't need the council at any rate! cheers

You DO need the council and they will carry out an inspection the following day and you DO need a structural engineer.

While any decent builder can tell you what steel would be suitable he cant provide you with the necessary calculations.

Do the job right or dont do it at all.

Edited by dan2802

Agreed re structural engineer, but I thought we could use Assent instead of the council?

Agreed re structural engineer, but I thought we could use Assent instead of the council?

Same thing but Assent are more expensive.