Steel stop weeks.

When I was younger my first career was at BSC Stocksbridge where the plant would shut annually for two weeks and the maintenance crews of which I was a member would install new equipment, do repairs etc. These were known as the stop weeks, I have,nt worked there for over 30 years now.

Can anybody tell me do these stop weeks still occur and if so could you assist with the dates for this year and next year. The reason I ask is that we are trying to organise a large surprise get together for a friend without him knowing and can only guarantee the stop weeks for him being able to have time off work.

Any assistance would be appreciated

They still occurred when I worked for Vauxhall Motors approx 15 years ago, although not for me as I was an engineer, not a shop floor worker.

Thanks Berberis but I am particularly interested in Stocksbridge because that's where he works. I remember sheffield used to shut and be like a ghost town because all firms tended to have the same weeks but not sure about modern day practices.

Works been winding down at Stocksbridge for a while hasn't it?

I thought they laid off several hundred lads last year as TATA started to try and get rid of the British Steel business.

Thanks Berberis but I am particularly interested in Stocksbridge because that's where he works. I remember sheffield used to shut and be like a ghost town because all firms tended to have the same weeks but not sure about modern day practices.

I would ask the mods to move this to the Sheffield Discussion section in that case :thumbsup:

the place where i work starts on monday for the next 2 weeks. i got a mate who works at stocksbridge if he in pub tonight ill ask him when theres start

Thank you very much miffy, most helpful. Can now sort something I am obliged.