Gove drops support for Boris and decides to stand!

According to SLYnews just now, Gove has just announced he can no longer support Boris, and he is going to stand himself!

Edited by Lex Luthor
wrong section

And so the leadership debate becomes even more interesting. If Mrs. Gove's e-mail is anything to go by than it is that Rupert Murdoch and the Daily Mail won't back Boris. Prepare for an avalanche of articles in Murdoch media and Daily Mail saying how wonderful this is.

And so the leadership debate becomes even more interesting. If Mrs. Gove's e-mail is anything to go by than it is that Rupert Murdoch and the Daily Mail won't back Boris. Prepare for an avalanche of articles in Murdoch media and Daily Mail saying how wonderful this is.

I think this point is worthy of thread on its own. The media obviously have far too much political sway.

I expect this is where Gove begins to expand on his plan to take the UK out of the single market;

Here is his statement.

The British people voted for change last Thursday. They sent us a clear instruction that they want Britain to leave the European Union and end the supremacy of EU law. They told us to restore democratic control of immigration policy and to spend their money on national priorities such as health, education and science instead of giving it to Brussels. They rejected politics as usual and government as usual. They want and need a new approach to running this country.

There are huge challenges ahead for this country but also huge opportunities. We can make this country stronger and fairer. We have a unique chance to heal divisions, give everyone a stake in the future and set an example as the most creative, innovative and progressive country in the world.

If we are to make the most of the opportunities ahead we need a bold break with the past.

I have repeatedly said that I do not want to be Prime Minister. That has always been my view. But events since last Thursday have weighed heavily with me.

I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behind Boris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead.

I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership. I want there to be an open and positive debate about the path the country will now take. Whatever the verdict of that debate I will respect it. In the next few days I will lay out my plan for the United Kingdom which I hope can provide unity and change.

I expect this is where Gove begins to expand on his plan to take the UK out of the single market;

Here is his statement.

The British people voted for change last Thursday. They sent us a clear instruction that they want Britain to leave the European Union and end the supremacy of EU law. They told us to restore democratic control of immigration policy and to spend their money on national priorities such as health, education and science instead of giving it to Brussels. They rejected politics as usual and government as usual. They want and need a new approach to running this country.

There are huge challenges ahead for this country but also huge opportunities. We can make this country stronger and fairer. We have a unique chance to heal divisions, give everyone a stake in the future and set an example as the most creative, innovative and progressive country in the world.

If we are to make the most of the opportunities ahead we need a bold break with the past.

I have repeatedly said that I do not want to be Prime Minister. That has always been my view. But events since last Thursday have weighed heavily with me.

I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behind Boris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead.

I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership. I want there to be an open and positive debate about the path the country will now take. Whatever the verdict of that debate I will respect it. In the next few days I will lay out my plan for the United Kingdom which I hope can provide unity and change.

That is what the majority voted for , Grove has decided to stand behind his pre Brexit statements unlike Boris who seems to be back tracking.

Best news ever ????

This is a bloke who is very tight with the likes of paul dacre and the Murdoch press empire - who when asked the direct question in the course of the referendum campaign he had no interest in the PM position - at least we know what to expect from him then -

But be very clear this guy is a serious politician - he is very bright indeed which helps but his sneering approach to opinions that are not the same as his own (or those who back him - don't forget who they are) will grate very quickly

As with Brexit - be careful what you wish for.

At least he is not a total tosser aka boris

Best news ever ????

This is a bloke who is very tight with the likes of paul dacre and the Murdoch press empire - who when asked the direct question in the course of the referendum campaign he had no interest in the PM position - at least we know what to expect from him then -

But be very clear this guy is a serious politician - he is very bright indeed which helps but his sneering approach to opinions that are not the same as his own (or those who back him - don't forget who they are) will grate very quickly

He has the perfect mix is pragmatism and principle for me and the fact that he argues passionately is not a vice.

Murdoch isn't always wrong about everything. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I trust Gove to stand up to Murdoch when it matters.

The fact that Gove initially backed Boris is I think due to the fact that he didn't really want to be PM. He wanted to be the right hand man of somebody else who shared his views and would deliver a good Brexit deal. He's clearly learned that flip-flopping Boris doesn't fit that description and nobody else does either. Although I think you'll see an alliance between Gove and Fox emerge before too long. And I think that Cameron's people will be much more inclined to get behind Gove than Boris because there's a lot less resentment there.

Gove has been the Conservative grass roots favourite for PM for several weeks now.

Edited by unbeliever

Best news ever ????

Boris,the guy who bought all tha water cannons what can't be used,the guy who didn't know when 24 hour tube was starting and still isn't,I think Gove standing will put a spanner in Boris's ambitions.

Just listening to May,a female Cameron.

He has the perfect mix is pragmatism and principle for me and the fact that he argues passionately is not a vice.

Murdoch isn't always wrong about everything. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I trust Gove to stand up to Murdoch when it matters.

The fact that Gove initially backed Boris is I think due to the fact that he didn't really want to be PM. He wanted to be the right hand man of somebody else who shared his views and would deliver a good Brexit deal. He's clearly learned that flip-flopping Boris doesn't fit that description and nobody else does either. Although I think you'll see an alliance between Gove and Fox emerge before too long. And I think that Cameron's people will be much more inclined to get behind Gove than Boris because there's a lot less resentment there.

Gove has been the Conservative grass roots favourite for PM for several weeks now.

Do you trust Gove to give up passporting/jobs in the City so he gets freedom of movement? I am not so sure he will or can.

The three Tory figureheads of the time running against one another.

This will end well.

Maybe Corbyn is right to try and hang on by the skin of his teeth.