What more evidence do we need to change our voting system?

So, voting has ended and already in some areas politicians and the BBC are referring to 80% turnouts in areas that would normally have 30%.

Our representatives cannot ignore this. Too many people do not vote as they feel their vote will not count under our present first past the post system.

I do not see how our representatives can claim that our current system is democratic anymore, after this turnout.

At least this referendum has taught us one thing, we cannot cling on to the first past the post system any longer.

So, voting has ended and already in some areas politicians and the BBC are referring to 80% turnouts in areas that would normally have 30%.

Our representatives cannot ignore this. Too many people do not vote as they feel their vote will not count under our present first past the post system.

I do not see how our representatives can claim that our current system is democratic anymore, after this turnout.

At least this referendum has taught us one thing, we cannot cling on to the first past the post system any longer.

I don't see Why not?

Oh yes I do now... I bet you are a Liberal

me neither, maybe people thought this vote was more important than the others.

me neither, maybe people thought this vote was more important than the others.

Or because everyones vote counted equally. If we'd run a referendum on GE lines turnout would certainly have suffered.

I don't see Why not?

Or a Labour, UKIP or Green voter !!

I think we should have a more representative system, by which the number of MPs better mirrors the total number of votes. (Edit. I'm inclined to agree that a high turnout is indicative of people feeling that their vote actually counts, and is a justification for moving towards a more representative system in GEs).

As much as I abhor UKIP and what it stands for, their representation should be much more than it is, and should better match the votes they receive. In contrast, the SNP are over represented in parliament, based on their actual votes.

That is simple in principle, but how it could be achieved in practice is another matter, and I don't know the answer. Our current system of local MP representation is, IMO, important and well worth preserving, but that is difficult to reconcile with true proportional represntation. Certainly the system offered by the Con-Lib parliament a few years ago was pretty poor.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Or a Labour, UKIP or Green voter !!

Don't forget Respect and Monster Raving Looney.:rolleyes:

I think we should have a more representative system, by which the number of MPs better mirrors the total number of votes.

As much as I abhor UKIP and what it stands for, their representation should be much more than it is, and should better match the votes they receive. In contrast, the SNP are over represented in parliament, based on their actual votes.

That is simple in principle, but how it could be achieved in practice is another matter, and I don't know the answer. Our current system of local MP representation is, IMO, important and well worth preserving, but that is difficult to reconcile with true proportional represntation. Certainly the system offered by the Con-Lib parliament a few years ago was pretty poor.

I think that there's scope to find a way for the House of Lords to be reflective of the numbers of votes cast in some way or another. The trouble is, would the MPs want to legitimise the House of Lords, as it would defiantly empower that chamber.

I don't see Why not?

Ooooh. Guess again!

Why not? Because the majority of the British public don't bother voting in elections. Therefore the government cannot claim to be democratic.

Today, people knew that their vote counted, so they got off their backsides and voted.

I think that there's scope to find a way for the House of Lords to be reflective of the numbers of votes cast in some way or another. The trouble is, would the MPs want to legitimise the House of Lords, as it would defiantly empower that chamber.

I was disgusted with the way the Blair government(s) reformed the House of Lords. They destroyed the old system without having a replacement ready, and then just left it without finishing the job.

Personally, I quite like the idea of a House of Lords which is independant of political parties. I don't mind them being appointed politically, provided they are then free to act as they see fit, and are not still answerable to the party to ensure that they are kept in position.

At the end of the day, MPs will always have more power that the Hous of Lords.

I voted for AV. We lost. I no longer complain.

I shall do likewise if leave lose this referendum.

Vox populi vox dei.

I voted for AV. We lost. I no longer complain.

I shall do likewise if leave lose this referendum.

Vox populi vox dei.

I'm an atheist so if we lose I'm going to blame the remainians for every single bad thing from now on. ;):hihi: