Vauxhall astra engine keeps cutting out..

:help: I have an astra which i believe is stalling mid drive.whilst driving the amber light with the spanner logo comes on,the revs drop and theres no power when i press the accelerator.I roll to a stop turn the engine off (even though theres no power) then start her back up and off we go again.I took her to a little garage where they ran a ECU on it.No faults decected.Baffled they sent me on my way.So with out going to a main dealer.Can any body point me in the right direction as to what it can be??? thanks...

Try a different garage.

We have a astra bertone it's doing exactly same except ours sometimes won't start but after turning it over a few times it starts. We had had it to numerous garages and they all say ECU it's also coming back with no faults when put on a computer. We've been told were looking at a thousand pound for new one supply and fit or get 2nd hand one which might still have same problem. When the cars running u wouldn't think there was anything wrong.

If u find out what if it's anything else let me know so we can check it out on ours pls

My Astra used to do this but it was the engine warning light that would come on. The light would come on sometimes and just go off again, but on numerous occasions the car would cut out. If I was driving at a reasonable speed it would just kick into action again but if I was going fairly slow I would have to restart the engine myself. This became particularly troublesome at roundabouts!

We also took ours to a garage who found nothing wrong (seems like a common theme with Astras maybe). The problem went away after a few months thankfully.

We have a Saab now, bring back the Astra I say for the about of problems the Saab has caused!

Hi you can call me I'll come and have a lOok for you thanks

Either the crank or cam sensor.

Both cheap and easy to fix, Ecotec engines have problems with sensors.

Lol @ the Saab comment. That's like saying I had loads of problems with my Toyota, so I bought a Lexus :D

If it does have an intermittent sensor fault that should be recorded somewhere in the ECU, and that would tell you which one was faulty, and it may also time and mileage code it as well.

It would only come up as "no fault found" if a cheapo or generic code reader was being used.

We had this on our Corsa, as said it was the crank sensor, if that fails, it stops the fuel pump, changed mine in about half an hour, it in an bit of an awkward position though, but they sound the same symptoms as ours, runs then cuts out, then when cooled, will start and run again.

Regards, acman.

We changed our crank sensor and our problems still there drives me mad I never know if the car will start when I go out in the morning

Hi you can call me I'll come and have a lOok for you thanks

How much do u charge? Could do with ours looking at

Best way to beat these problems, buy Korean, Hyundai or Kia. I have both and no problem with either of them.

How much do u charge? Could do with ours looking at

just 20 pound to come and diagnose the problem.