Mormons - what do they believe in?

We met some new folks recently who seemed quite pleasant. In the course of our first conversation they said they were Mormon's and said they couldn't do anything on a saturday because of their religion.

I don't really know much about what they believe in. I heard it was a polygamous religion at one time, but I don't know if that still holds.

I'd be interested to know more, not that I'm thinking of joining - I'm not religious myself - but I'd like to know a bit more about their beliefs. Anyone know anything about it?

Saturday has no sigificance for Mormon's - maybe they were winding you up? Or perhaps they just had other commitments that weekend?

Seems to be a lot of mormon advertisements about.

Anyway, I think they believe in Jesus. Yet I have also heard that mormons believe that they can become gods and godesses?

If this is true, I'm wondering what bible they are reading.

They aren't reading much of the bible - they read The Book of Mormon, D&C and The Pearl of Great Price... All three are 'scriptures' their founders wrote themselves, so they can write whatever they like and get their followers to believe in some right stuff!

Your thought on it then?

Sorry I mustn't put the link.

You are right. It is a bad form.

mormons are c-r-a-z-y.

you are n-o-t - i-n-t-e-l-l-i-g-e-n-t

Only the most fundamentalist followers of any religion (i.e. the nutters that abuse it) conform to all the above!

But all followers of all religions conform enough to be defined as cult members.

I did a tour of the States a few years ago and ended up in Salt Lake City. I went on a tour around the conference centre that the Mormons own and was accompanied by a Mormon who took me through the gardens. (It was a coach tour so you had to go there whether you liked it or not as part of the trip)

She was a Thai woman who had come over to strengthen her bond with the Mormons.

The conversation turned to death as we talked about the tsunami that had only recently hit Thailand and the lady told me that whenever someone dies it is because they have been evil or because they're guilty for their sins.

I said that surely all those who had died in the tsunami couldn't have all been evil and sinners. She said that they must have been. I asked how this could be a applied to a baby. She looked puzzled and referred me to a passage in the Bible which read that 'not all things can be explained'.

I don't profess to know a lot about the Mormon faith, I always have admiration for someone who can follow a philosophy or a religion to the letter, it's not something I could do as I'd want proof and explanation and without it, I struggle to relate to the subject. I just feel that if there were points within a religion where there is a sweeping generalisation such as that people only die if they are evil or sinners, this doesnt explain child death or mass tragedy.

Going back to my visit to the Conference Centre in Salt Lake City. It's massive. It seats 21,000 people with no pillars to block your view of the choirs which sing there.

This religion have a lot of money and know how to invest in order to generate more.

I don't profess to know a lot about the Mormon faith, I always have admiration for someone who can follow a philosophy or a religion to the letter, it's not something I could do as I'd want proof and explanation and without it, I struggle to relate to the subject.

This is one of the (admittedly smaller) problems with our society. Why exactly is this a trait to be admired?

sticking to your guns despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is somehow something to be admired? No that's madness.

We should be admiring people who change their mind when confronted with strong evidence that goes against their deeply held beliefs. Surely that is much more admirable?

This is one of the (admittedly smaller) problems with our society. Why exactly is this a trait to be admired?

sticking to your guns despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is somehow something to be admired? No that's madness.

We should be admiring people who change their mind when confronted with strong evidence that goes against their deeply held beliefs. Surely that is much more admirable?

Isn't it admirable to stick with something even if it has flaws? I can see where you're coming from, but to have devotion to something and to even go on a pilgramage across the world to be where others of the same faith are is a pretty admirable feat. It's not something I'd do, but to have such focus of the mind and determination is in itself admirable. Shame it couldnt be putter to better use.

Isn't it admirable to stick with something even if it has flaws? I can see where you're coming from, but to have devotion to something and to even go on a pilgramage across the world to be where others of the same faith are is a pretty admirable feat. It's not something I'd do, but to have such focus of the mind and determination is in itself admirable. Shame it couldnt be putter to better use.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, but I am of the opinion that having an open mind is better than a closed one.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, but I am of the opinion that having an open mind is better than a closed one.

Oh of course! I agree totally with that.