Do I take her word for it?

Had a liver biopsy ten days ago and I rang hospital receptionist to find out when I would hear something, The receptionist looked for my report and told me I was fine but a dr would ring me. then she asked if i,d had the biopsy told her yea, she told me everything looked ok.

Now I got a little giddy over this and rang my daughter who said just wait till I heard from dr, then I texed my freind she told me receptonist was not allowed to say a thing to me.

Is this right? do I take the recptionist word that I am ok?

Thanks Misty

I'm a 'never count your chickens before they hatch' kinda guy so I'd wait for the doctor's opinion, but the nurse thinking that you're fine can only be a good thing surely. Hope you're ok in the end.

Had a liver biopsy ten days ago and I rang hospital receptionist to find out when I would hear something, The receptionist looked for my report and told me I was fine but a dr would ring me. then she asked if i,d had the biopsy told her yea, she told me everything looked ok.

Now I got a little giddy over this and rang my daughter who said just wait till I heard from dr, then I texed my freind she told me receptonist was not allowed to say a thing to me.

Is this right? do I take the recptionist word that I am ok?

Thanks Misty

I would want to talk to the doctor if it were me Misty. Hope all is OK.

Yea am ok yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dr rang... close thread now x thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many doctors’ receptionists think that they can acquire medical knowledge through osmosis and so are qualified to give out medical advice and diagnose ailments. They are not.

Book and appointment with your GP and wait until a person qualified to tell you you are healthy does so. Until then, take what the receptionist said as a positive sign.

Fingers crossed everything is ok.

Doctors receptionists are NOT medically trained and should NEVER give their interpretation of medical results over the 'phone or otherwise.

I would speak to your practice manager since this should NEVER happen.

P.S., pleased to hear you've been give the 'all clear' - but you should ensure that no one else is put at risk of receiving 'duff' information and speak to your practice manager. This is very poor practice.

Edited by Daven

Yea am ok yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dr rang... close thread now x thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glad to hear your results were good! :D

Doctors receptionists are NOT medically trained and should NEVER give their interpretation of medical results over the 'phone or otherwise.

If the entry reads "Nothing found, all clear" I think even I, have no medical knowledge whatsoever, would be capable of interpreting it. I appears that in this case that, or something similar, is what it said. However the receptionist is quite right that it's not official until the doctor says it, but since most people want to know as soon as possible, I'm not sure she should be condemned for leaking the news.

I am a gp recptionist

when a dr has read the report he will put a comment on for us to tell patient, ie tell patient normal, tell patient to make an appointment....and that is all we tell them, we are not medically trained to go into details....

we are only allowed to tell them cholestrol readings, simply because everyone one wants to know the level...if the patient wants to know more about their results we will book a telephone consultation with the gp...

glad your results were ok by the way :)

I've had blood tests told to me over the phone by a receptionist before, in fact 3 times on seperate occasions.

I've had blood tests told to me over the phone by a receptionist before, in fact 3 times on seperate occasions.

Perhaps some surgeries have different policies, If a gp wants us tell a patient anything he will clearly put in the notes what we can tell them...so this what maybe happens at your surgery.