The forum has been blocked at work..

In fact I believe that you can do it another way if you set up a web server on your home PC. You can use https to log on remotely to your home PC from a web page using a standard secure web browsing port. You can set up like this to Remote Desktop using just a standard web browser.

This would be impossible to block via a company firewall and all the software you need is built in to XP pro or Vista.

IIRC the initial connection is made over 443 or 80 as you connect with the browser, but it still spawns a process which uses 3389 in the background to actually pass the RDC data over.

If I'm wrong then point me to the option to specify the port in the client.
I think you're right, but you can specify the port if launching from command line.

Shame you don't have SSH access to a dedicated server, you can set putty up as an SSH local proxy tunnel, then set your browser to connect to putty (locally) which will route it through your server, I used to do this at work and it let me in every site as a result...

I set SSH to work via port 80 on my server, just incase, and did it that way :D

as for remote desktop, you can change the port it connects on, and also choose the port by using IP:port in the address box of the RDP Client. - for changing the listening port, check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

Wouldn't it just be easier to take your laptop to work and plug it into the company network? At the end of the day when you take your laptop home, you take your browsing history with you so they've no way of checking what sites you've been looking at.

Wouldn't it just be easier to take your laptop to work and plug it into the company network? At the end of the day when you take your laptop home, you take your browsing history with you so they've no way of checking what sites you've been looking at.

No longer allowed to take our own laptops in!

Browser history isn't the problem and what you suggest wouldn't work. The connection is filtered, not the browser history checked.