Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

It is never ok to park on footpaths and therefore cause an obstruction. However this is rarely enforced in my experience which is very frustrating.

When I am out on my mobility scooter and the thoughtless drivers block the pavement I bang on the vehicle and tel them to F shift it or Phone 101. Thinking about getting adhesive stickers made to stick across the window on the drivers side. They will soon get the idea when they have to scrape it off and the time it takes,

Hello all fellow pedestrians.

Since when was it ok to park on the pavement.

I walk to quite a few places pushing my granddaughter in her buggy and I find in numerous places that the path is blocked by a parked car.

The owners of said cars give me rather dirty looks if I am in their way if they are either coming on to the path or wanting to get off it. Since when did a car have the right of way on a path.

I have phoned the highway department to complain and have been told to ring 101. But i think the police have rather more important things to deal with.

No parking signs or road markings would be good.

If you drive past Penistone Cinema, at the opposite side of the road there is a wide-ish footpath. Here you will find cars parked on this footpath. There is a lined area, half on the road, half on the path allowing cars to park there.

Angel1.

we have this problem in Page Hall.

Cars park on the pavement, so pedestrians walk in the road instead :|

People in Stocksbridge walk in the road even when there aren't any parked cars.... :suspect:

they like parking on the pavement to go to the post office here, good job I wasn't distracted a few days ago as some idiot mounted the pavement to park up and I had to dodge out of the way.

I'll be honest I park my car half on the pavement. I live on a tight road and on the corner and the passers by take very little care and will attempt to squeeze rather than wait. I've had to replace both my wing mirrors at the expense of £200 each.

By parking half on the pavement they have more room and less chance of hitting my car. I've seen multiple couples with prams walk past as far as I'm concerned it's not an issue

Personally I didn't think anyone had an issue anyway? whether it's allowed or not I just assumed everyone accepted it.

If you drive past Penistone Cinema, at the opposite side of the road there is a wide-ish footpath. Here you will find cars parked on this footpath. There is a lined area, half on the road, half on the path allowing cars to park there.

Angel1.

Very interesting.. but as Penistone is in Barnsley and this being a Sheff forum I doubt anyone cares..

Btw didn't know Penistone had a cinema..

Personally I didn't think anyone had an issue anyway? whether it's allowed or not I just assumed everyone accepted it.

In London its not allowed, because they have more cars and not enough space. Some cities are like that too, everywhere is becoming more congested. How do we make it work?

Make the pavements narrower, so the cars can proceed faster, a daft idea?

Very interesting.. but as Penistone is in Barnsley and this being a Sheff forum I doubt anyone cares..

Btw didn't know Penistone had a cinema..

I posted in reply to post 1. The poster said that parking on a pavement as they understood was against the law. Now the law is no different in Sheffield to Penistone, is it?. By the way, the Cinema in Penistone has been there years and years.

Angel1.

People in Stocksbridge walk in the road even when there aren't any parked cars.... :suspect:

I have to admit, late at night when the roads are quiet, I do that to avoid the dog mess on the pavements. City living eh! Adapt and survive.

I posted in reply to post 1. The poster said that parking on a pavement as they understood was against the law. Now the law is no different in Sheffield to Penistone, is it?. By the way, the Cinema in Penistone has been there years and years.

Angel1.

No your BMBC bye laws im sure are slightly different to ours in Sheffield ..

I bet if the Tories ran Penistone village cinema they'd have shut it years ago. Glad to hear it's still doing a brisk trade

Angel1.

I do like Penistone Cinema. They don't have the very latest films, but I love the fact that they still have an intermission and you can buy ice-cream that doesn't cost the earth.