Wednesday/United history

And still was when I first started going, and for many years after. :)

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 18:12 ----------

Both Owlerton and Hillsborough were incorporated into the City of Sheffield in 1901 so any way you look at it The Wednesday left the city. :)

To be honest I've no idea as to whether or not Hillsborough is Wednesdays original home in the area or if they had a ground in the area prior to another move.

I'd always assumed that as they are side by side either description could be used and that Owlerton lent itself to the nickname.

Someone can no doubt clarify the facts.

I think you are right. Owlerton. My dad who as a young man went there in the early 1930's and never referred to the ground as Hillsborough -Owlerton he always called it- and the team, he referred to them as The Wednesday until he passed in the 1970's. The ground on the Penistone Road side was and is in Owlerton. The other end beyond Leppings Lane is going towards Middlewood Road, which is in Hillsborough.

Sheffield United Football Club don't own the ground.

Hi Jim, who does own the ground and where is your reference from please?

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 23:03 ----------

Hi,

This is more history than football, but it's football history, so hopefully this is the right place! :hihi: I suspect the fans of each club will be able to answer this one for me :)

So, as of recently I've started working near Bramall Lane. As a Wednesday fan, I've never paid that much attention round here, even though I live in S2.

There's a pub, opposite the ground called the Cricketers?

My question is on the history of this pub, as I can't find anything about it.

Is it really old? Does it have anything do with either club starting as a cricket club, as I seem to think that Wednesday in their origins have a cricket club? I think both might, and I seem to think that Bramall Lane had cricket played here?

I just wondered what the link was, if there was one? I know Wednesday used to play round here (Olive Grove and Myrtle Road from what I can find) but wondered if anyone could advise on this? There might be no link at all, and it could be just a name, but wondered if anyone knew?

Cheers!

In 1909 my Mothers Aunt & Uncle were publicans at the Cricketers, Mark & Sarah Ann Hornsey.

Sheffield United Limited (formerly the plc).

http://www.assetmatch.com/app/OurCompanies/CompanyProfile?companyId=1403

(last paragraph)

The ownership of the ground was transferred from the football club to the plc in 2012.

http://aunitedview.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/it-came-in-letter.html

Edited by Jim Hardie
Used same link twice.

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 23:03 ----------

In 1909 my Mothers Aunt & Uncle were publicans at the Cricketers, Mark & Sarah Ann Hornsey.

Impressive!! I think there must clearly be a link between the ground being a cricket ground and the name of the pub then, given that date.

I'm glad I asked this question! It's proved very interesting!

I read somewhere that Wednesday used to play at Myrtle Road (I think it was on Wiki somewhere). The suggestion being that it was on the land behind the Ball, which is the only flat bit of ground, and later became United's training ground.

Impressive!! I think there must clearly be a link between the ground being a cricket ground and the name of the pub then, given that date.

I'm glad I asked this question! It's proved very interesting!

I read somewhere that Wednesday used to play at Myrtle Road (I think it was on Wiki somewhere). The suggestion being that it was on the land behind the Ball, which is the only flat bit of ground, and later became United's training ground.

If you follow Carlinate's earlier google link, it shows a graphic, highlighting Highfield, Sheaf House and Myrtle Road, these are places that Wednesday played other than Bramall Lane in the S2 area. Also an earlier post mentioned Malcolm Sissons (himself a Unitedite) is the current owner, I would imagine if you pop in on a match day when it's open he may be able to give you some history of the Cricketers.

The Cricketers pub was there when I first went to Bramhall Lane in 1948 united were in Div 1

There were not any derby matches for a while as Wed were lower down

That's true, but only for 48/49 season. United were relegated that season and in 49/50 season Wednesday pipped United to promotion on goal average. Interestingly, if the rules pertaining today had been in force it would have been United promoted as both clubs had identical goal differences but United scored one more goal than Wednesday.

That's true, but only for 48/49 season. United were relegated that season and in 49/50 season Wednesday pipped United to promotion on goal average. Interestingly, if the rules pertaining today had been in force it would have been United promoted as both clubs had identical goal differences but United scored one more goal than Wednesday.

Yes Jim, that just reinforces my view that Wednesday have always been the fortunate team in this city:)

echo.

Sheffield United Limited (formerly the plc).

http://www.assetmatch.com/app/OurCompanies/CompanyProfile?companyId=1403

(last paragraph)

The ownership of the ground was transferred from the football club to the plc in 2012.

http://aunitedview.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/it-came-in-letter.html

Hi Jim and thanks !

Beating united at Wembley in front of thousands was soooo ****ing brilliant I still slate em now for it

Guest sibon
Hi,

This is more history than football, but it's football history, so hopefully this is the right place! :hihi: I suspect the fans of each club will be able to answer this one for me :)

So, as of recently I've started working near Bramall Lane. As a Wednesday fan, I've never paid that much attention round here, even though I live in S2.

There's a pub, opposite the ground called the Cricketers?

My question is on the history of this pub, as I can't find anything about it.

Is it really old? Does it have anything do with either club starting as a cricket club, as I seem to think that Wednesday in their origins have a cricket club? I think both might, and I seem to think that Bramall Lane had cricket played here?

Cheers!

Hi Andy. I've been on a bit of a self-imposed exile, so apologies for the late reply.

According to this site, the pub first opened in 1856, which is roughly when Bramall Lane opened as a cricket ground. Neither football club were in existence at that point. I imagine that the ground and the pub would have been built together.

Bramall Lane continued as a cricket ground until 1973, when the football club decided that they would need four sides to the ground in preparation for their slide down to Division 4:D. The last cricket match was a roses match which was ruined by the weather. I attended the game. All I can really remember is the long grass on the football pitch slowing the ball a lot, Geoff Boycott swearing at me and a lot of rain.

The cricket square is now somewhere under the new stand on Cherry Street. The Lane has a long and illustrious history as a cricket ground, including hosting an Ashes test in 1902. Details of the 1902 Ashes are here if you are interested.