Unemployment down to 1.69 million

I have a blinkered right wing friend that blames Labour for increasing the number of claimants claiming sickness benefit; yet I have seen graphs of a gradual increase in disability claimants.

To me the vote leave vote was about people not working and 'sponging', where are these people if unemployment is on the decline?

Isnt this government vilified for bringing in the stringent disability assessments?

This is completely from memory but when Ann Widdecombe did her TV show taking on the The Benefits Culture, she found a town that a majority of its working population were on some kind of disability benefit. She later found a man who was on this benefit because his hand hurt.

Im not saying the current method of testing claimants validity is working, but it does seem Labour allowed people to languish on disability benefits without good reason.

By whom?....

A right wing friend ;)

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 10:32 ----------

Im not saying the current method of testing claimants validity is working, but it does seem Labour allowed people to languish on disability benefits without good reason.

Disability claims have been going up under all Governments, even Tory ones. Is it just a Labour problem, in your opinion, the Tories have been in power for 6 years.

I am told that these days single mothers go into training because its easier than work and they get loads of benefits,

They start with an access course to go to uni, and then just keep going all the way to a masters degree.

They get child care and student grants, that they will probably never pay off.

At least they have a qualification at the end of it all. When I was unemployed for a time a few years ago, I asked about training courses I could take to help with my job hunting prospects. I was looked at like I had just asked for jus primae noctis with the guys wife.

At least they have a qualification at the end of it all. When I was unemployed for a time a few years ago, I asked about training courses I could take to help with my job hunting prospects. I was looked at like I had just asked for jus primae noctis with the guys wife.

I know someone that is doing criminology, and maybe going on to do a masters degree; not sure if its just for fun or to find a job.

I dont know if people are taking advantage of the system that allows them to get thousands in student loans, with little prospect of them being paid back.

Disability claims have been going up under all Governments, even Tory ones. Is it just a Labour problem, in your opinion, the Tories have been in power for 6 years.

As our population increases the proportion of those on benefits of all kinds will always increase. Its the rate of increase that is the issue and it was always thought that Labour allowed too many people obtain disability benefits. This was highlighted in the Ann Widdecombe TV show. I suggest you watch it if you can find it.

You can take figures bend and twist them as much as you like to suit your political ideology its all about winning votes.

You can take figures bend and twist them as much as you like to suit your political ideology its all about winning votes.

Berberis hasnt quoted any figures to twist, makes things easier if you just make things up :)

https://fullfact.org/news/have-disability-benefit-claims-trebled-20-years/

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 18:09 ----------

Edited by El Cid