Chilcot report delayed until after election

Tony Blair has basically admitted their were mistakes but that everything he did was done in good faith.

Which makes it all OK then.

"The report should lay to rest allegations of bad faith, lies or deceit. Whether people agree or disagree with my decision to take military action against Saddam Hussein; I took it in good faith and in what I believed to be the best interests of the country."

I particularly thought the part of his statement regarding 'his wishes that future leaders would learn from this' was absolutely inappropriate at a time when grieving relatives were coming to terms with the astounding revelations of this report. It came across as smarmy, slimey, gloating and callous, given the circumstances.

If Bliar had anything about him he would have faced the relatives and delivered that in person - one thing is for sure - those soldiers that died had a hell of a lot more spine than him.

Tony Blair has basically admitted their were mistakes but that everything he did was done in good faith.

Which makes it all OK then.

"The report should lay to rest allegations of bad faith, lies or deceit. Whether people agree or disagree with my decision to take military action against Saddam Hussein; I took it in good faith and in what I believed to be the best interests of the country."

What's the betting "lessons have been learned" will be said over the next 24 hours.

What authority did Bliar have to pledge to Bush our support, assuring, "I will be with you whatever" - 8 months before the invasion?

---------- Post added 06-07-2016 at 13:47 ----------

Claims of weapons of mass destruction were made "with a certainty that was not justified".

So that means "misleading" does it not?

Edited by Lex Luthor

Well the cats out of the bag and im surprised. But i bet its worded so to not add weight to any legal action.

Edited by phil752

I just want to say as it is becoming increasingly clear what has happened, to all those that marched against this war, those that had posters in their windows, those that spoke up against it - Thank you.

The most crass thing that Blair has said is that given the same information he would do exactly the same again.

The problem was that he did not question any of the so called intelligence,because he was hell bent in supporting Bush and going to war.

He has learnt nothing at all.

The most crass thing that Blair has said is that given the same information he would do exactly the same again.

The problem was that he did not question any of the so called intelligence,because he was hell bent in supporting Bush and going to war.

He has learnt nothing at all.

He received "intelligence" that supported his and Bush's desire for war and he didn't question it. He went to the House of Commons and repeated it and said it was cast iron.

If he'd received intelligence to the contrary of what he wanted does anyone really think he'd have accepted it in such a rush? No, he'd have questioned it, asked for further intel, gone back to the sources etc.

In the end he chose to believe the dodgy intel because it supported what, in his heart, and true his "faith" he wanted to do.

It's Blair. He spun. It's what he does. Something in his brain that should have said "hang on, we're talking about war here, maybe cut out the spin on this one" didn't fire.