Scales.. weird things.

i hope you're taking all this in tz? :D:hihi:

Hangover in the Borders! Will read later ;)

Our digital scales need to be zeroed on each use by placing one foot on the platform on a solid floor.

The scales came with extra feet to be used on a carpeted floor.

Given normal day-to-day variation in human weight, one day's weight isn't massively important. (Good pun there, hope you appreciate it.)

The important thing is trend. The right tool seems to be a weighted average. There's a good app for that on iPhone called True Weight. Just make sure you back it up once a month.

It doesn't answer the interesting question is why the scale is so imprecise. Mine is too, even on wood floors. (See https://www.ncsu.edu/labwrite/Experimental%20Design/accuracyprecision.htm)

But I think generally your body's daily fluctuation will overawe you scale's imprecision.

Put a new battery and make sure the scale is not on a soft surface (carpet). Weight yourslef first in the morning. This will give you the most accurate result

This is true I weigh myself as soon as I get out of bed and been to do what I need to do. It can be a pain weighing yourself daily but you just get used to it, I have to do it due to fluid retention.

And now for something completely different... I am on a self-imposed diet and as such I weigh myself every morning on digital scales. But I have noticed something odd, the reading on the scales depends on where I put them or in fact, when I stand on them. This is a mostly even floor, but it can fluctuate as much as 1 kilogram between weigh-ins. This morning I stood on them, it said I had gained 300 grams, my wife called me for something, I went back to the scales a minute later and all of a sudden I had lost those 300 grams plus another 200... I moved the scales a foot to the left and all of a sudden I had gained 500 grams...

Can I conclude my scales are borked? Or is there some sort of explanation for this, like minute changes in pressure from underneath?

As someone who has lost 9 stones (gastric sleeve) I can give a little advice.

Weigh yourself weekly.

Place your scales approx in the same place when you use them.

Good luck.

Angel1.

I don't like digital scales they never give the reading I want ! :hihi: Instead of scales you could try measuring yourself around the stomach and keep a record to see if any weight loss has happened. Remembered men put on weight around the stomach just an idea.

Thanks for all the advice people :) Despite a hedonistic 5 days I have been able to control things quite well, or I have found a way to deceive the scales :)

I am going to accept there is a variance and take the week-to-week readings as indicators of a trend, as long as that trend is down I will be happy. @crookedspire - I automatically do, one of the reasons I want to lose weight is because I am fed up with having more and more clothes that don't fit well. Now that I am reversing 'the growth' I am beginning to notice I fit stuff again. As I haven't thrown my old clothes out I should be able to track more or less to where I was ;)