ESA / JSA and Parkinsons

Good morning.

I have Parkinsons which affects my daily living but not my mobility. As such, I get the daily living allowance of P.IP.

Until recently i was on ESA, I went for a "face to face" assessment and a few weeks later i was told i was fit for work and would no longer get ESA. My partner has a part time job, which is only contracted to 12 hours, but she snaffles up hours where she can and consequently goes over the 24 hours. This meant the ESA was £11 per week. Not much i know but to be fair the benefit allowed me to have my medication for free and also helped with council tax.

Anyhoo, I was told to put in a claim for JSA and was given an appointment to take along wage slips and my p45, I.D and all that. Anxiety emphasises my tremors and travel on public transports makes me travel sick, so i was in a bit of a state when i got to west street. At the interview they said I wouldn't get any benefit as my partner "earns too much" and they suggested i should appeal against the ESA decision and subsequently didn't want my p45.

That morning i got a letter from the council asking for proof of benefits "we know your not on ESA..".. and as i'm fit for work but jsa didnt think so..I'm not on ANY qualifying benefits.. (they're in the same building !!!)

My attention span drifts when im expected to process all complicated stuff and i have a tendency to switch off, i can't deal with that today etc.. but then i get more letters and it all backs up, you know? but i've made the effort , i've done what i can but what on earth do i do now?

CAB i know, i'm trying to contact them but they dont seem to pick up the phone.. any advice or suggestions would help tidy the situ for me. Has anyone been in a similar situation. what did you do?:confused:

Definitely appeal the decision.

You only have 28 days (I think) from the date on the letter. Give any medical professionals you see a visit/call and ask for a letter backing up your claim.

I posted a while ago about the stupid ESA assessment and how lacking it was at actually looking at peoples issues instead of a general " can you stand on one leg and bark like a dog" type assessment.

As for CAB, they are fantastic but always very busy. My experience is that you have to be persistent and if need be, go and wait.

Definitely appeal the decision.

You only have 28 days (I think) from the date on the letter. Give any medical professionals you see a visit/call and ask for a letter backing up your claim.

I posted a while ago about the stupid ESA assessment and how lacking it was at actually looking at peoples issues instead of a general " can you stand on one leg and bark like a dog" type assessment.

As for CAB, they are fantastic but always very busy. My experience is that you have to be persistent and if need be, go and wait.

... The criteria for point scoring on ESA makes it difficult for anyone who knows their own name to get any points at all.. can you pick a pen up off the floor or hold either hand above your head etc.. They seemingly know of a job where it's possible to get paid for doing that. In reality constant visits to the loo due to medication, or falling asleep in the middle of the day would be a big no-no for employers. I have difficulty brushing my teeth or shaving. When it comes to typing or signing my name i'm hopeless. I might type a sentence then delete a whole paragraph... ideal for ordering stock or answering a phone call. I don't know who compiles the criteria lists but maybe i could get a job advising them on the real difficulties experienced and how they would affect the workplace. Those sort of jobs are never on the job search lists. But hey i can sit at a desk and chew my biro while staring at the endless queue of people let down by the system.

Cloudsailors, this is happening to more and more people and it's a national disgrace. The distress being caused knows no bounds. It's a deliberate cold and calculating Tory government ploy to reduce benefit for the disabled. Think about that when you hear the mealy mouthed words coming from Theresa May about helping people in need.

Not that any of that helps you. It's basically an obstacle course to see at what point you'll become so exhausted /despairing you give up, so don't. You must appeal as zach says, and even go to a tribunal if necessary.

You also need to visit your doctor for support, go down to the CAB asap, as they are almost impossible to get through to on the phone, and go and see your local MP at their surgery. I'd also go and see a Tory MP, tell them what's going on in their name. A letter to the newspapers wouldn't hurt either if you have any energy left.

The UK government have been roundly condemned for its treatment of the disabled by the United Nations, but the report has been suppressed. However you can see the report online.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uk-disability-rights-un-report-government-treatment-disabled-people-a7616101.html

I don't think people know what's going on in their own country unless they've come upp against it for themselves. Good luck. Don't give up.

Edited by Anna B

Cloudsailors, this is happening to more and more people and it's a national disgrace. The distress being caused knows no bounds. It's a deliberate cold and calculating Tory government ploy to reduce benefit for the disabled. Think about that when you hear the mealy mouthed words coming from Theresa May about helping people in need.

Not that any of that helps you. It's basically an obstacle course to see at what point you'll become so exhausted /despairing you give up, so don't. You must appeal as zach says, and even go to a tribunal if necessary.

You also need to visit your doctor for support, go down to the CAB asap, as they are almost impossible to get through to on the phone, and go and see your local MP at their surgery. I'd also go and see a Tory MP, tell them what's going on in their name. A letter to the newspapers wouldn't hurt either if you have any energy left.

The UK government have been roundly condemned for its treatment of the disabled by the United Nations, but the report has been suppressed. However you can see the report online.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uk-disability-rights-un-report-government-treatment-disabled-people-a7616101.html

I don't think people know what's going on in their own country unless they've come upp against it for themselves. Good luck. Don't give up.

I Posted this some time ago, ....

The UN Inquiry into the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the UK

Published Monday, March 6, 2017

This Commons Library briefing paper provides information on the inquiry by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities into the impact of Government policies on the rights of disabled people since 2010.

The UN Committee inquiry

At the end of August 2015, it was revealed in the national press that the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was to conduct an inquiry into the impact of the UK Government’s policies on the rights of disabled people.

The inquiry was conducted under the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to which the UK has been a signatory since 2007. The Optional Protocol allows the UN Committee to investigate a State Party if they have received reliable evidence of ‘grave and systematic violations of the Convention’. The UK is the first country to be investigated by the UN in relation to this Convention.

The Committee's findings

The Committee's report, published on 6 October 2016, found that Government reforms*had led to ‘grave and systematic’ violations of the rights of disabled people. The report emphasises*the impact of changes to Housing Benefit entitlement, eligibility criteria for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and social care, and the closure*of the Independent Living Fund.

The Government's response

The Government published a robust response alongside the publication of the Committee’s report, stating that it “strongly disagrees” with the findings.

What next?

Like other UN human rights conventions, the CRPD does not contain any mechanism that allows the Committee to enforce its recommendations. As the Government’s response to the report rejected all the recommendations made, there are no more official steps in the process.

This report was Just ignored.

http://researchbriefings.parliament....mmary/CBP-7367

You must keep at it no matter what.

I understand better than most how hard it can be to keep going but as pointed out by Anna B and Itrytoplease, the system is set up to trip you up and also wear you down!

I could write a book on what's gone on in the year or so after being made redundant. All of it was a battle which involved me trying to prove to the DWP that I have health issues. It seemed it didn't matter what my doctors/professionals said. It all came down to how a question was asked and answered, then interpreted by a person with no medical qualifications.

For me the CAB has been a complete eye opener with regards to what you don't know. As someone who has worked all their life I didn't have a clue how to claim, or what to claim. Their help and advice has been above anything I could have wished for. The down side is that they are very busy and it is quite hard to get a one to one. Again, keep at it.

Good luck to the OP and anyone else who is entering this. It will p**s you off at times but to repeat myself again, keep at it.

What a pity this thread is on the disability forum when it could be on the main General Discussions where more people will see it.

Most people have no idea what's going on. All they know is the propaganda they're being fed via the media with biased programmes and articles about benefits, which portrays people as 'scroungers,' and important things like the UN inquiry which Itrytoplease posted (thankyou) are suppressed and ignored.

The real message about what this Conservative Government is doing to the most vulnerable in society should be out there in the mainstream.

What a pity this thread is on the disability forum when it could be on the main General Discussions where more people will see it.

Most people have no idea what's going on. All they know is the propaganda they're being fed via the media with biased programmes and articles about benefits, which portrays people as 'scroungers,' and important things like the UN inquiry which Itrytoplease posted (thankyou) are suppressed and ignored.

The real message about what this Conservative Government is doing to the most vulnerable in society should be out there in the mainstream.

It's a pity that people consistently put the blame on whichever political party they oppose.

This problem is huge- current estimates of total deaths due to the state of the benefits system is around 800,000 people dead- many through suicide after having benefits removed when they were found 'capable of work' by organisations like ATOS.

This happens under the tories, and, it happened under Labour. It will continue to happen whichever political party is in power.

The true cause is the bloated bureaucracy that infests the benefits system (and the others e.g. the NHS).

Forms that are way too complicated for non-experts to fill in properly (all benefits forms come with the recommendation to contact the CAB before trying to fill them in, despite the face that the CAB is now on it's knees and is often unable to set appointments before the DWP form deadlines in many cases).

Benefits 'helplines' that are never answered- see this SF thread concerning the impossibility of contacting Housing Benefits/council tax by phone-

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525166

thread titled- "SCC Council Tax Enquiry Line is Pointless"

Disabled people trying to access an advocacy service to find someone to help them with the benefits system are often blocked by a similar array of bureaucratic forms and procedures, so they can't even complete the necessary bureaucracy to get a person they need to fill in the benefits forms!

As an autistic person I am acutely sensitive to bureaucratic stupidity and, having done a lot of research into the 'Welfare Reform Deaths', it is clear to me that this cancerous overgrowth of bureaucracy is the root cause.

It pains me to see, time and time again, the same knee-jerk response i.e. 'if only we can get labour/the liberals/whatever party in power, it will all stop.'

And thus people pour all their effort and work into trying to convince everyone else to vote in yet another election that will only install another group of power-seekers who are, just like the last lot, totally unable to see the true root of the problem, and, will fixate on just setting up another set of overly bureaucratic systems to tackle the issues of the existing overly-bureaucratic systems.

Edited by onewheeldave

It's a pity that people consistently put the blame on whichever political party they oppose.

This problem is huge- current estimates of total deaths due to the state of the benefits system is around 800,000 people dead- many through suicide after having benefits removed when they were found 'capable of work' by organisations like ATOS.

This happens under the tories, and, it happened under Labour. It will continue to happen whichever political party is in power.

The true cause is the bloated bureaucracy that infests the benefits system (and the others e.g. the NHS).

Forms that are way too complicated for non-experts to fill in properly (all benefits forms come with the recommendation to contact the CAB before trying to fill them in, despite the face that the CAB is now on it's knees and is often unable to set appointments before the DWP form deadlines in many cases).

Benefits 'helplines' that are never answered- see this SF thread concerning the impossibility of contacting Housing Benefits/council tax by phone-

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525166

thread titled- "SCC Council Tax Enquiry Line is Pointless"

Disabled people trying to access an advocacy service to find someone to help them with the benefits system are often blocked by a similar array of bureaucratic forms and procedures, so they can't even complete the necessary bureaucracy to get a person they need to fill in the benefits forms!

As an autistic person I am acutely sensitive to bureaucratic stupidity and, having done a lot of research into the 'Welfare Reform Deaths', it is clear to me that this cancerous overgrowth of bureaucracy is the root cause.

It pains me to see, time and time again, the same knee-jerk response i.e. 'if only we can get labour/the liberals/whatever party in power, it will all stop.'

And thus people pour all their effort and work into trying to convince everyone else to vote in yet another election that will only install another group of power-seekers who are, just like the last lot, totally unable to see the true root of the problem, and, will fixate on just setting up another set of overly bureaucratic systems to tackle the issues of the existing overly-bureaucratic systems.

Have to disagree with much of this. Yes it happens under both parties, but is a whole deal worse under the Tories. Yes the bureaucracy is ridiculous, but much of it has been put in place by the Tories. The introduction of Universal Credit by the Tories has exacerbated the situation, and various 'reforms' like the bedroom tax have made a bad situation even worse. The whole charade that has to be gone through via ATOS (or whoever is in charge at the moment) is not designed to help people but to deprive as many as possible of benefits when they are unable to support themselves. When even the UN have deplored the current situation in the UK it's time to take notice.

Meanwhile, the Tories still seem unwilling to crack down on tax avoidance /evasion and continue to pander to the rich and influential. which includes a large number of their own party.

The Tories are ruthless and not known as the nasty party for nothing.

Have to disagree with much of this. Yes it happens under both parties, but is a whole deal worse under the Tories. Yes the bureaucracy is ridiculous, but much of it has been put in place by the Tories. The introduction of Universal Credit by the Tories has exacerbated the situation, and various 'reforms' like the bedroom tax have made a bad situation even worse. The whole charade that has to be gone through via ATOS (or whoever is in charge at the moment) is not designed to help people but to deprive as many as possible of benefits when they are unable to support themselves. When even the UN have deplored the current situation in the UK it's time to take notice.

Meanwhile, the Tories still seem unwilling to crack down on tax avoidance /evasion and continue to pander to the rich and influential. which includes a large number of their own party.

The Tories are ruthless and not known as the nasty party for nothing.

JSA sanctions (removal of benefits for 3 months or longer) have been in place since well before 2003. During Labours time in power they sanctions continued. If Labour is so caring then why did they not do the decent thing and end the barbaric practice of sanctioning?

I'm not going to get into a labour vs tory debate here, as it is exactly that debate that keeps people seeing the real issue, which is the bureaucracy.

I can't get into the politics of what was or who did what. What I can agree with is the bureaucracy.

Just when I thought things were starting to level out a bit, I got another letter.

"Your contributions based ESA will end as you have had the limit of 365 days. After this time you will not get any more payments"

So, I have run out of contributions and as such I don't need money to pay for things any longer? On what planet or level of "common sense" thinking would this be the case?

It's not the end of the world but apparently I now have to apply for a new claim of income based ESA. I guess it's just another hoop for us to jump through!!

Deep breathing... begin :hihi: