Memories Of Walkley

Anybody any memories i used to live on freedom road my family still live there and have done since late 70's

Discuss Please!!!!

Anybody any memories i used to live on freedom road my family still live there and have done since late 70's

Discuss Please!!!!

OK OK!!!:hihi:

I lived on Heavygate Rd from 1961 and went to St Josephs school, but knew others from Bolehill school.

We used to play on the Bolehills a lot.

I remember sitting on the steps of Walkley library most evenings, as a 13-14 yr old with my mates-sorted the world out and discussed how we would spend our future fortunes when we married someone rich, famous and utterly GORGEOUS.

Still live in the area.....and none of my dreams came true:(

My mother once lived at No 123 and a schoolfriend lived about third of way down on the left. My ancestors also owned the Freedom House. Also attended the Boy's Brigade at the church (is it still there?) near the bottom.

Edited by carosio

I used to be the paper boy in the mid to late sixties before I joined the Army good fun in Walkley, spent most of my time playing knock down ginger and scaling the back walls First pint in the Otley and used to frequent the Upperthorpe Hotel still do occasionally

Billy B

I was born in walkley on Camm St, I lived in Hoole St and Burgoyne Rd, great place, lots of good memories.

I remember the picture house on South Rd & the 'sasparilla' shop near Lentons fruit & veg, sauls grocers and the pikelet shop to name a few.

I remember an old lady who used to sell cornets of home made ice cream in a little shop opposite the library...was that the sasparilla shop too?

i lived at Channing street left there in 71

We lived at 41 walkley st in the late 60s- early 70s, does anyone remember amblers butcher further down the road? [we still owe him a few quid for all the meat we had on tick] :)

If I remember right , my mum and dad had a house on Waller Road, next to a cemetary entrance? until I was about 5, then we moved to Dronfield. We'd have left there about 1969.

I lived at 128 freedom road i love walkley

I remember an old lady who used to sell cornets of home made ice cream in a little shop opposite the library...was that the sasparilla shop too?

No the sasperella shop was Hartley's the Herbalists, it was where the grass is opposite Netto.

You've jogged my memory about the ice cream shop, opposite the library, Could it have been called something like walkley dairies.

heading from there towards town, was a barbers shop. The barber died while cutting someones hair.

A man used to sell fruit and veg from a cart at the top of either Freedom Rd. or Carr Rd.

In the fifties an old guy used to walk up and down with a barrow, delivering for somone I think, it could have been for Jacksons.

Where the fireplace shop is nearer town, was an old fashioned drapers shop, buttons zips cloth. When you paid, the money went on a wire to the cashier.

At the bottom of Greenhouse street, where the shops were built in the 60s, within the garden of the doctors surgery. There used to be a Tardis type police box, with a blue light, very Dixon of Dock Green.

Accross Walkley Rd from the library the derelict land, which now has flats, was the site of a Billiards Hall before the war, I think.

What happened to it and when I've no idea.

Next to the library used to be a newsagents, the name escapes me, A couple in their 60s who raced greyhounds. He always had a cigarette in his mouth and marked the papers up in a haze of smoke.

Another landmark was Mr Rozen, standing outside his shoe shop, which was probably one of the shops demolished, opposite Netto.

I remember seeing him standing outside his shop on Barbour Rd. Twenty years later, he looked exactly the same.

The bloke who died whilst cutting someones hair must have been old Mr Binks.

The shop with the overhead wire (cashier system) was hawksfords at the top of Hoole St.

I remember the shops being built in the Doctors garden at the bottom of Greenhow St, there was a coffee bar & a plumbers merchant

Other shops that come to mind were Slacks the bakers, Wrays, Tandys and Brays were all butchers, gowers & burgons and the co-op on heavygate rd