Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

Just thinking earlier, ive now been driving for ten years :help:

And i was wondering what other peoples driving lessons and instructors were like.

I had my test at Handsworth,my insructor was ok but a bit strict :suspect:

I learnt with a company at Frecheville and the owner was great, but his sidekick was very strict, he used to puff on a cigar and ogle the ladies walking down the street and once took the wheel of me as I incorrectly turned down a one way street in Handworth :o Frightened the living daylights out of me.

I had my test at Handsworth and was forewarned that if I got the one only lady examiner I would fail as she was an evil witch.....I failed. Got a lovely chap 2nd time round and passed.:hihi: :hihi:

It was 20 years ago though

My driving instructor had the patience of a saint - he certainly needed it as I had no confidence at all when I was first learning to drive. I once sat at a junction, there was a bus coming up the road which you would have needed a telescope to see, and I daren't pull out of the junction. He just sat there and said, 'Well, you could have pulled a fleet of buses out of this junction, while you have been waiting here'. He was a brilliant instructor, he built up my confidence and I passed my test first time!

I took lessons through BSM, they were located at the top of the Moor. One quid, per one hour lesson, took about twenty lessons, passed my test 1st. time, much to the surprise of my instructor I think.

I can remember him shouting at me “Look What Your Doing You Nearly Hit That Bus” :blush:

i must admit that i had only had a few lessons when that incident happened.

Then at a later date he took the wheel showing me how to maneuver a steep hill with a junction at the top.

But he stalled the car, and came out with an excuse about recently having the car serviced. :huh:

At the end of the day he was a great bloke, and after 25 lessons i passed 1st time. Not bad for a dog ehh.:hihi:

My celebration after the test.:D

I had my first driving lesson on my 17th birthday..1978.!

the car was a morris marina...in like a red colour.!..and if i remember correctly,think it was about a £5:00 an hour then.!

jt

My instructor was the late, great Larry Logan (who also taught both my brothers).

Very much 'old school', his lessons were an absolute pleasure. He was foul mouthed and sometimes racist but he was also very funny.

Nearly every lesson would see me having to stop outside a beer-off so he could buy his large bottles of beer (2 and 3 litre plastic bottles, tasteless no doubt but very cheap also).

He had loads of sayings: "Hug this corner like you would your girlfriend." He'd then reply to his own comments as if it were I saying it "Oh, but I haven't got a f-in girlfriend!" He'd also say we'd better get to the Hallamshire Hospital A & E as I had just burnt his arm off driving too close to a parked car.

We'd do three point turns but whilst in mid-flow he'd tell me to put the handbrake on whilst he told me all about his daughter Lisa (whom I knew from school) and the things she had got up to last night "calling me a f-in pig, the cow." Traffic would build up either side but was he bothered?

His car would be full of smoke (he was a chain smoker) and lessons cost £8 (this was 1986/7). The sod never quite told me when I was ready for my test and so I had more lessons that I should have, but they were fun.

I took my test in May 1987 and passed first time. I felt liberated (as one does when passing a driving test) but also quite sad because that ended our association. I saw him a few times in the Rising Sun, Nethergreen but was saddened to hear that he passed away a couple or three years back.

I passed my test at hillsborough in 74,my instructor was a woman and the company was called "Black cat" she was really laid back and never raised her voice!just calm and collected,the car was a mini clubman in white with the cat motif!!cant remember how much a lesson as I had a set course then my test,passed 2nd time,had passed my bike test the same year 1st time at the same test centre on a bantam it was an absolute doddle!!wouldnt like to do it it now!!!!

i remember my instructer gordon hunston very strict many a times he would make me cry:hihi: but he was really good at his job i passed first time glad i did wouldnt like to tell him i failed:hihi: was well worth £12 even i did get abuse from him

I had Keith Wainwright, Stans brother, he was a great bloke, ended up running a pub up Walkley, don't actually think it had 'owt to with my driving but you never know!:loopy: Great bloke and Muriel his wife.

i still learning at the mo, but my first instructor was a lady, when i scream coz i lost control of the car, she screamed louder than me !! when i panicked as i dont know what to do next,, she panicked as well,, lol

she used to drive the car from my place (to pick me up) then drive the car back again to where she gonna teach me, then drives me home again,, so i said to myself,, she's learning , not me?

oh yes , i dumped her,, after 3 weeks

i have a new one now,, he's old, and did some shouts too, but no, he not screaming at me! and i feel very confident now! heheheheh !

I passed my test almost 22 years ago and was taught from scratch by my OH ! Passed first time - but I wouldn't recommend it - nearly ended in divorce !