How Many Pubs Are There In Sheffield?

Does anybody know the correct answer to this question?

We seem to have lost 100's of pubs in the last decade. What is the exact figure today?

Not as many as there use to be

Looking at this website, it seems quite out of date, my local has been closed for over a year, but the websites contact page is unreachable.

An FOI request to Sheffield Council's licensing team might do the trick. Otherwise, there's https://www.whatpub.com/ which is probably the most accurate third party source (although I don't know how you'd obtain a count from there). The problem with any non-official source is that they rely on people visiting the pubs and updating the websites regularly.

Looking at this website, it seems quite out of date, my local has been closed for over a year, but the websites contact page is unreachable.

Don’t go on Wikipedia searching for the info. According to them, Fox House at Longshaw is in Nether Edge!

How about contacting the Sheffield branch of CAMRA?

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

I think the previously linked website is a Sheffield CAMRA one. Sheffield Ale Pubs is worth a google - Pete keeps a pretty up-to-date listing of pubs with real ale. A few years back Rate Good Pubs (a group of post grad lads) did a Sheffield list with a group of them visiting all the pubs and rating them.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2014/08/06/PhD-students-launch-Trip-Advisor-style-app-for-pubs

Edited by jemson

http://www.whatpub.com is the website attached to CAMRA's national database of pubs but it does rely on updates being submitted by people that visit them.

There are 20+ within 15 minutes walk of the Grindstone on Crookes- perhaps that's why it is shut.

Guest makapaka
There are 20+ within 15 minutes walk of the Grindstone on Crookes- perhaps that's why it is shut.

Bar the ball - which has always been a busy pub - the rest of em all need a new approach or they’re going to be in trouble.

Noah’s ark might be exception which has gone down the sport and cheap

Drinks route which whilst not everyone’s cup of tea will probably work in a pub of that size.

The punch bowl and grindstone which are big places need to do something different to what they currently are doing for me.

Bar the ball - which has always been a busy pub - the rest of em all need a new approach or they’re going to be in trouble.

Noah’s ark might be exception which has gone down the sport and cheap

Drinks route which whilst not everyone’s cup of tea will probably work in a pub of that size.

The punch bowl and grindstone which are big places need to do something different to what they currently are doing for me.

The Old Grindstone is open again.

Within that zone more pubs have opened(5) than have closed(3), so perhaps makeovers don't work.

Guest makapaka
The Old Grindstone is open again.

Within that zone more pubs have opened(5) than have closed(3), so perhaps makeovers don't work.

Perhaps. Which are the 5 pubs that have opened and the 3 that closed?