Shoes - What are my rights?

Expert Assistance Required

I bought some Kickers shoes in March, from a leading Sports Shop. After about a month of wearing them each side on each shoe, the edging parts are coming away from the shoe, as if they have not been made properly, and the front of the shoe came away from the sole and was letting water in.

I took them back the other day with a credit card statement to prove I had bought them from there, I spoke to the Assistant Manager and he said, that the problem on the side of the shoes is not a manufacturing problem as you can see scuff marks on each side, how can you possibly scuff the inside of your shoe high up? But he said that the problem at the front didn't appear to be self inflicted, and proceeded to call around a few other shops for their advice and came up with the notion that trainers are only guarenteed for 3 months??? So I said so people pay £100 for 3 months? Anyway these are not trainers and you don't expect to pay £50 for a pair of shoes to only last 4 months do you? He said I know what your saying, I said I only want an exchange anyway, and I used to work in exchange and refunds and if items were faulty they could be exchanged for upto a year afterwards with proof of purchase. He just said you will have to come back another day and see the manager.

So I just wondered if anyone on the Forum know's the legal aspects of the matter?

I bought a pair of Vans from Ath-Leisure in Meadowhall for £60 a few years ago. The inside of the soles collapsed (easiest way i can put it) after 1 month of having them. I took them back to the shop and said 'look, these are broke, can i have my money back or a new pair?'. i had the receipt and everything. They said (after being arsey with me for about 30 minutes) 'we have to send them off for independent testing'...ok i thought, i'll let them do that.

3 weeks later i got a call from Ath-Leisure, saying that they would not be refunding my money or giving me a replacement pair because the independent tests had found that 'the damage to the trainers were a result of 1 months continuous wear, and that i could collect them from the shop'.

i hit the roof. it got me nowhere. i went to some 'federation of shoe people' (not the cartoon). They said that i didn't have much of a chance of getting my money back. i gave up, but have never bought anything from Ath-Leisure or Vans ever again. and never will. i know this won't hurt them too much but its a small moral victory for me!

Kick up a stink in the shop & tell them you will stand inside the shop until you get some more shoes,trading laws are for the use of & the 3 months notion is rubbish,if the shoes are falling apart you can ask for a refund or another pair.Stand up for your rights

I agree with Tosh

go back to the store and ask for the manager or whoever is in charge and inform them that you want a refund as the shoes are not of merchantable quality. If they refuse just tell them to watch you stand outside and inform anyone who comes near to the shop door that they have sold you a defective product and are refusing to give you a refund and advise them not to buy from a store with that policy, if that fails ask them if they have heard of Roney Robinson on Radio Sheffield and the consumer spot they have in the mornings with the Trading Standards officer.Oh and for good measure give them the forum web site and see what publicity they are getting on here.

Good luck and keep us informed.

owdlad.

Originally posted by owdlad

I agree with Tosh

go back to the store and ask for the manager or whoever is in charge and inform them that you want a refund as the shoes are not of merchantable quality. If they refuse just tell them to watch you stand outside and inform anyone who comes near to the shop door that they have sold you a defective product and are refusing to give you a refund and advise them not to buy from a store with that policy, if that fails ask them if they have heard of Roney Robinson on Radio Sheffield and the consumer spot they have in the mornings with the Trading Standards officer.Oh and for good measure give them the forum web site and see what publicity they are getting on here.

Good luck and keep us informed.

owdlad.

Cheers Owdlad nobody agrees with me usually,thanks mate you've made my day & I agree with anything you say LOL

Go in on a sunday when the part time school students are working and none of the higher up people can be arsed to go in. Theyll refund anything.

I've had the same problem with trainers from Footlocker which I have since renamed LootFocker...

Nike Air's - where the air bubbles burst after a month

then

Reebok G-Unit's - the stitching came off after a week.

The story you get off the staff is that its not their problem, its your fault and NO, you can't have an exchange or refund.

I have had similar problems with the shoddy quality of shoes in the past (not so much of a problem, these days, lol )

I had a pair of shoes for just a fortnight, and the front became detatched from the sole.

I took them back, and the shop said "But you've Worn them! we can't refund you , because you've worn them!"

like, erm... W T F????????????????????

P "Silly me! I should have Framed them!" T

I think a lot of the time it's at the managers discretion whether or not to give a refund.

I bought a jacket a few months ago from a place in meadowhall with the name River in the title ;) Anyway about 2 weeks later all the buttons start falling off.

I took it back and asked for an exchange. They said they couldn't do this? but they could get the buttons sewn back on. It's been ok since so I think there must have been a fauty batch.

If they hadn't offered to do this I think I would have gone mental. I can't stand paying money for shoddy items.

My boyfriends mum once bought something from a shop in Crystal Peaks. I can't remember what was wrong with the item but she wasn't happy with it so she asked for her money back. They told her she could only have a credit note. She said as she had paid with cash, and not a credit note, she (quite rightly) wanted cash back.

After they refused she stood outside the shop and told anyone who was going to enter, what they had done. They eventually relented and gave her the money back. :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone :)

Update

I went back to the shop again last night, just before closing time, bet they love me! and asked to speak directly with the Manger, he was there behind the counter, I said I came in the other day and brought these shoes in etc. I showed him my credit card statement and the details of the puchase and he said did you get them from here then? I said yes it shows it here _____ at Mosborough, he said ohh is that this store then? & he's the manager?????

He looked at them and said, well you shoud have waterproofed them when you first bought them with dubbing, I said I wasn't told that when I bought them, he said I can't answer that, I wasn't hear then. He said well I'll have to phone our customer care line then, (that's all) so I said when are you going to phone it? He said I will phone in the morning. So I said do you want me to leave the shoes here then? (He wasn't very forth coming). He said yes ok. I said well aren't you going to take my details then? So he took them and said the area manager was coming aswell in the morning, I said when are you going to phone me then? He said I'll ring you tomorrow. (It's a good job one of us was assertive).

Anyway he rang back this morning and just said that your new shoes are waiting for you! So I'm going to pick them up next week :)

Problem solved, and I didn't even have to mention Trading Standards or anything.

Least u got it sorted :)

Some shops are complete menace when refunding items. If an item is faulty, you are entitled to a full cash refund regardless of your payment method.