Sign in to follow this  

Conifers

Does anyone know if there is a legal height for conifers to be allowed to grow too before they have to be cut ? My neighbour planted some of these damned things beside my driveway and they are now getting to over ten feet and she refuses to trim them as she wants to let them grow. They are beginning to get so wide as to scratch my car and I am worried in case they damage my drive which is concrete so not easy to repair. Any help would be much appreciated.

owdlad.

The law on this is to be changed (I don't know if it's on the statute book as yet)

As far as I remember the maximum height in domestic situations will/is 2metres.

She may as well cut them back now rather than wait until it's enforcable by law and also a much bigger and expensive job.

Under law you can cut off any branches overhanging your property (on a level with the boundary, not back to the trunk)

These branches are your neighbours property so you would have to drop them onto her property after cutting

Thanks Ned

The law is still on the drawing board, and will probably not come into force until the Autumn at the earliest.

The office of Deputy Prime Minister has something on his web site so with a bit of luck there should be something I can do legally as there is no way she will move it unless forced by law.Just in case you want to look here's a link.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_urbanpolicy/documents/page/odpm_urbpol_608046.pdf

owdlad.

Jeez! How long does it take to Government to sort these things out? It's going to be 10 years at that rate.

I am sure that a garden fence can't be over 2metres in height. Why can't they amend the law to state fences and hedges?

Ned Ned don't forget we are talking government here.