Manor Council School

Have any sheffield forum wallas happen to have parents in their eighties who attended Manor School 1930 to 1936 Ask them ?

Have any sheffield forum wallas happen to have parents in their eighties who attended Manor School 1930 to 1936 Ask them ?

Are you referring to the school on City Road, Prince Edward School at the Manor Top, Stand House School, or Pipworth Road School, all these on the Manor Estate?

Manor Council School was situated at thecorner of City Rd and Manor lane Thanks for your interest

Milted

Manor Council School was situated at thecorner of City Rd and Manor lane Thanks for your interest

Milted

Doesnt that school have a name tablet that reads INTAKE SCHOOL and before somebody tells me Intake is down Mansfield Rd, I know that ! but my Mother did tell me that City Rd Cemetery was originally called INTAKE CEMETERY.

Not the era you're looking for, but I was there from 55 to 60.

Any help?

to Philip As you say friend, I was a bit before your time But I thank you for your interest I looked in on the old infants playground in Manor lane the other day, All boarded up and rather sad Still time marches on they say With kind regards Milted

Memory test:

Mrs Swift, Headmistress

Some of teachers: Mrs Diamond, Mr Hughes and Mr Midgely afraid that's the limit I can go to since I left in 1960.

Remember there were 2 entrances, one or boys and other for girls, we were naturally separated.

Both entrances were up ramps and no way were you allowed to go in the wrong one.

For meals you had to go to the canteen in the Infants school which was across the playground and alongside City Road.

There used to be a pig farm over the wall at the bottom of the playground and everybody was s*it scared to climb over and fetch any balls back.

I started at Manor council school in1927 There were three schools The infants, the big girls( Miss Horner) and the big boys ( Mr jackson) I left in1937 to go to the junior Technical School on West St Long long time ago

I went to Manor Lane School 1947-51. During the first couple of years that I was there, there was just the old Victorian style building at the corner of City Rd and Manor Lane. Headmistress I believe was Miss Horner. Then, around '49, they built a new building across the yard from the old one. The higher elementary grades moved into that one, with the lower grades continuing in the old one. I believe Miss Horner carried on as Headmistress of the old school. But wasn't there a new headmistress for the new school? Miss Mooney is a name that seems to ring a bell. Anyone know if I'm right? Also, when do you think that school was built? My guess would be very early 1900s.

Doesnt that school have a name tablet that reads INTAKE SCHOOL and before somebody tells me Intake is down Mansfield Rd, I know that ! but my Mother did tell me that City Rd Cemetery was originally called INTAKE CEMETERY.

Intake school is at intake. it's a school-board school about the same age as the original Manor Lodge School. Intake Cemetery is at Intake, and has been for donkeys years.

I went to Manor Lane School 1947-51. During the first couple of years that I was there, there was just the old Victorian style building at the corner of City Rd and Manor Lane. Headmistress I believe was Miss Horner. Then, around '49, they built a new building across the yard from the old one. The higher elementary grades moved into that one, with the lower grades continuing in the old one. I believe Miss Horner carried on as Headmistress of the old school. But wasn't there a new headmistress for the new school? Miss Mooney is a name that seems to ring a bell. Anyone know if I'm right? Also, when do you think that school was built? My guess would be very early 1900s.

I looked this up last time I was in Sheffield and Mis Horner was headmistress at that school from the 1920s to the early 1950s, so my earlier posting was incorrect. She continued in he position after the new building was opened. Still don't know the age of that school though.