VW Campervan's dead engine

I have a 1983 Vw transporter, (1900cc watercooled petrol engine) with a very sick engine, I have been trying to find a secondhand engine for it but without success. I was wondering if anyone new if I could put an Aircooled Engine in place of the watercooled? If so can you please let know whatever you might know about it.

OR if anyone has an engine that I could buy?

Cheers

Not an expert on this spannerman, but isn't the watercooled engine mounted at the front, whilst the aircooled version is mounted at the back?

This, if I'm correct, would entail differing transmission and involve remodelling the air intake, heating layout and associated ducting, gear linkages and a space to be found under the rear flooring.

May be wrong. My dad had a 1980 VW Transporter (Air cooled) and it was a complicated affair.

the engine is mounted at the front of the vehicle, if that is what you mean then no the engine is mounted in the rear.

Sorry spannerman.

I was confusing the newer models with the one you've got.

In that case the engine swap is straight forward, but the ducting for air cooling, including the intakes, is a complicated matter.

Thanks Markham for the info, just one thing if that's OK. can you fill me in on the ducting and air intake bizo.....?

Cheers

you don't know what the other suitable engines might be?

I know I ask a lot.... it's just that we have recently arrived from Australia and I don't know anybody and people in London are difficult to get advice from.

Cheers

Shayne

spannerman,

Try this and ask on this forum. It would be difficult for me to explain it all over the thread. I'm not an expert, but some of these guys may be.

Good luck with your conversion.:thumbsup:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=33 here where I've posted an enquiry entitle 'Watercooled to aircooled engine swap' on your behalf in the name of (markham), password (7stfnny5). :thumbsup:

Dear Markham,

Cheers for that, will let you know how I get on

It's a pleasure spannerman.

Have you used the link yet? There's been some response already, and they seem to know what they're talking about. It's a US site by the way.

Don't forget to use the username and password provided to log on.

Good hunting.:thumbsup:

Markham,

Once again thank you so much, have checked out the forum you posted on my behalf, some great info.

Have been away from computer for a few days, have had an Aussie out visiting!

Cheers!