Sign in to follow this  

Compatibility of Macs

As my old thinkpad is on it's last legs, i'm considering upgrading to an iBook. However, I'm not sure how compatible they are with Microsoft products. My main issue would be Microsoft office. Would i be able to use word files on both PC and Mac for example. Also are mp3s compatible as i have a rather large number of mp3s and would like to transfer them.

As I said, i am only considering my options at the moment, so would welcome any advice on my questions or on iMacs/iBooks generally. Pros and cons etc.

Thanks in advance.

Can't comment about the mp3s but i work on a ibook

with latest version of OS X and microsoft office and

i've never had any problems working with office docs

from PCs or the other way round.

A thousand times better than in the old days.

The revolution will not be televised.

Mind you, mine's a bit flimsy but maybe that's laptops in general. They won't take being dropped off bar stools! for example - although it didn't break it completely - just the cd drive. Good stuff.

S

Originally posted by Andy78

As my old thinkpad is on it's last legs, i'm considering upgrading to an iBook. However, I'm not sure how compatible they are with Microsoft products. My main issue would be Microsoft office. Would i be able to use word files on both PC and Mac for example. Also are mp3s compatible as i have a rather large number of mp3s and would like to transfer them.

As I said, i am only considering my options at the moment, so would welcome any advice on my questions or on iMacs/iBooks generally. Pros and cons etc.

Thanks in advance.

MP3s should be no problem at all. Common file format regardless of OS.

Nomme

The main problem with Macs is that software for them is nowhere near as widely available as it should be, meaning you'd be hard pressed to walk into somewhere like PC World or any other high street computer shop and walk out with Mac software.

I'm sure there are sites on the net where you can get stuff from though so all is not lost.

As for MS software working on a Mac, AFAIK it's simply a case of trial and error, try a few bits to see if they work... There should be specific Mac versions though of the main MS Office apps like Word et al, as mentioned in the above paragraph you'll have to scout around on the net, sites like dabs.com etc, to see what you can come up with.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the advice so far. My thinkpad has been dropped many times, had beer spilt on it and even been sat on (not by me). It's still going somehow, but it is old and getting slow.

The availability of software is something else I was thinking about. I have noticed that Mac software is rare to see. Hopefully that will change as they are becoming more popular.

Originally posted by Rich

The main problem with Macs is that software for them is nowhere near as widely available as it should be, meaning you'd be hard pressed to walk into somewhere like PC World or any other high street computer shop and walk out with Mac software.

I'm sure there are sites on the net where you can get stuff from though so all is not lost.

As for MS software working on a Mac, AFAIK it's simply a case of trial and error, try a few bits to see if they work... There should be specific Mac versions though of the main MS Office apps like Word et al, as mentioned in the above paragraph you'll have to scout around on the net, sites like dabs.com etc, to see what you can come up with.

Hope that helps :)

Mac Microsoft Office is head and shoulders above the PC version - likewise entourage is better than outlook.

Interestingly MIcrsoft mac software is developed in the uk

Most mac users buy software either mail order or off the net so availability is not a problem.

Mac office and PC office are interoperable.

If you want to buy mac software, Cole Bros is a good source, likewise they have very mac knowledgeable staff in there (and that monster TFT display too)

LIkewise Mac/windoze networking is a snap under OSX

Cheers Phan and everyone else. It'll be while until I can afford an iBook, so that will give me time to go and have a play in Cole bros. Hopefully my thinkpad will last until then, though it has developed a screen fault since starting this thread. screen keeps going white requiring a tapping on the underside to make it come back on. Can't be healthy.

I have had problems tranfering between PC/MAC but that was because it was a document written in Spanish. It does have problems transfering accented characters for some reason and some characters don't exists between the two although XP OS probably addressed this particular problem.

Someone once told me the the font point size can be in decimal places on MAC whilst the PC is whole numbers (Integers). I am not so sure if this is true or has any implications to a document. If it is the case, stick with whole numbers unless it never going to be ported to a PC. Other than that, you should be fine.

I have to say that my favourite laptops have all been thinkpads. The one I'm typing on here was bought off of eBay for about 200 squid.

IMO they're more robust that iBooks, but as far as software goes you shouldn't have too many problems. Some web e-mails don't render properly in the Mac version of Outlook, but as far as I know other MSOffice files render OK.

The other major impact is on your wallet....

Joe

I have got to admit, my thinkpad has taken a kicking over the years, and it's still trying it's hardest to survive. It's also tiny, which is nice!

I'd probably be looking at ebay whatever i end up buying. As long as I end up with a decent laptop that will last sometime.

john, being the mono lingual fella that I am, the language side of things shouldn't be a problem.

I like the Sheffield forum, everyone is so helpful, well at least the helpful ones are.

thanks again all.