Sign in to follow this  

Sky TV, Broadband and telephone line

wonder if any of you guys know whether i need to keep my BT line. I have broadband and digital sky tv and know that my BT line was required in the first instance - installation purposes etc but the thing is i don't use my landline for any other purpose as i use my mobile

can i disconnect my BT line but retain my broadband service and am i 'required' to keep it to be able to receive sky tv (i'm not bothered about losing any of the digital services on sky)

i'm essentially paying line rental on a phone line i just don't use :(

I am pretty sure that you will need BT line (a) for your broadband and (b) definitely you need it for sky, although we cancelled sky and after the first couple of weeks never miss it.

but i thought that you only needed the land line to use the digital services?

i've had sky a few months but surely it would still work normally apart from not being able to use their interactive stuff?

need a definitive answer on the broadband thing

or i could just call them up! but that's be too easy :roll:

Hey come on don't start getting all clever !! lol...go on try it and see how long it takes to get through.

yes plus i'd have to phone up BT, Plusnet and Sky! which would basically mean that that's my weekend buggered!

Check your sky contract...apparently they can fine you £150 if your phone line isnt connected to the box 24/7

You'll need to keep your BT line active for your broadband. I'm also pretty sure that in your contract with Sky it'll state that you must keep the box connected to an operational landline. Quite if/when/how they'd ever notice you disconnected it (and what they'd do if they found it) is another question?

I too would ditch my landline if it weren't for needing broadband. Am still waiting for one of my neighbours to install a nice unsecure wireless access point that I can piggyback ;)

Although, having thought about it, might see if any of my neighbours want to share the cost of a legit "shared" broadband wireless access point. Dare say there's some nasty clauses in the various contracts (BT, ISP etc) that would prevent me from doing so....

cheers guys :thumbsup:

but looks like i'm buggered whatever way i look at it! :(

People seem awfully confused about the skybox phone line thing:

New subs: Phoneline has to be kept in for 12mths (they call the box every week or month to check its still at the same phone number)

Mirror Subs (ie. moving an old box upstairs): phoneline HAS to be in the phonesocket all the time, sky check this often to make sure you havent given your box/cheap mirror sub to someone else.

Sky are just a devious set of sdratsab and the best thing for them is to unplug the box and tell em to stick it where the sun don't shine. I had a full blown row with them a while back and it finished up where I hemmed in one of their vans on my drive until I got some sense from them...it worked as well ...lol...still cancelled the DD and left the buggas to moan at me then ..funny how they wanted to be friends after the DD was cancelled......No Sky = £40 odd a month saved = over £500 per year extra spendos for holidays.

Phoneline has to be kept in for 12mths (they call the box every week or month to check its still at the same phone number)

They may well check it, but they didn't do anything when I had it unplugged for 2 and a half years! And yes, it was a genuine mistake - I never used any of the Box Office or other interactive online services, so I didn't notice!

And at least this didn't happen to me!

Originally posted by slh73

Check your sky contract...apparently they can fine you £150 if your phone line isnt connected to the box 24/7

Only for the first year, as soon as that was up, we unplugged ours. No more accidental digital services using the phone line now!!