New e-mail scams - TV Licensing and DVLA

Today I received two very authentic looking e-mails..one from TV Licencing /TV Licensing Payment Return Confirmation..

saying..To Quote :- You have received this email to be notified that gov has issued a refund and you'll receive a full refund of £528.29 directly on your credit/debit card...To claim your refund, complete your request here

Payment Method: Online by Credit/Debit Card

If you will not complete the required form you will not be able to claim your refund online.

==============================

Another from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency..To Quote :- Our records show that you are not up-to-date with your vehicle tax.NlDkbzkJC?

This is a reminder (V11) and a ‘last chance’ warning letter from us.NlDkbzkJC?

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle today to avoid unpleasant consequences.

You must tax your vehicle even if you don’t have to pay anything, for example if you’re exempt because you’re disabled...

Before you start NlDkbzkJC?

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not renew your vehicle tax.

You’ll need the number plate (registration number) of the vehicle.NlDkbzkJC?

The first really is a joke...no-one receives money back for a tv licence..although some elderly people could be conned...and the scammers still need to learn English properly...The second could quite easily con someone into thinking the RFL is due especially since dispaying the disc ended....:cool:

You would probably get it delivered by post, not email though, and I would always suggest people contact the company about these kinds of things before doing anything, that way, you know for sure if it's fake or not!

Also, I don't think they'd use language like "unpleasant consequences" in an email about vehicle tax, it sounds like they are going to send the mob round to kneecap you if you don't pay...

The first really is a joke...no-one receives money back for a tv licence

You do if you cancel.

You do if you cancel.

Not £500+ though.

Not £500+ though.

Today’s Money Saving Expert dot com email says that if you’re in your early nineties and have (mistakenly) paid for a licence since 2000 you could theoretically claim up to £2500

Makes a change from the guy in Uganda wanting to put 1 million dollars in to my acount. :)

Also, I don't think they'd use language like "unpleasant consequences" in an email about vehicle tax, it sounds like they are going to send the mob round to kneecap you if you don't pay...

nice one

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Today I received two very authentic looking e-mails..one from TV Licencing /TV Licensing Payment Return Confirmation..

saying..To Quote :- You have received this email to be notified that gov has issued a refund and you'll receive a full refund of £528.29 directly on your credit/debit card...To claim your refund, complete your request here

Payment Method: Online by Credit/Debit Card

If you will not complete the required form you will not be able to claim your refund online.

==============================

Another from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency..To Quote :- Our records show that you are not up-to-date with your vehicle tax.NlDkbzkJC?

This is a reminder (V11) and a ‘last chance’ warning letter from us.NlDkbzkJC?

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle today to avoid unpleasant consequences.

You must tax your vehicle even if you don’t have to pay anything, for example if you’re exempt because you’re disabled...

Before you start NlDkbzkJC?

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not renew your vehicle tax.

You’ll need the number plate (registration number) of the vehicle.NlDkbzkJC?

The first really is a joke...no-one receives money back for a tv licence..although some elderly people could be conned...and the scammers still need to learn English properly...The second could quite easily con someone into thinking the RFL is due especially since dispaying the disc ended....:cool:

About learning to speak English, two different investigative TV shows over here have tracked down scammers in Nigeria, Mumbai and a couple of other locations far away from Canada. Some of these people are nothing more than telemarketing people who are moonlighting on telephone scams, others do it for a living. One thing is for sure there are lots of them.

Yesterday, I renewed my TV licence online and received an email confirming my payment had been processed and I was licenced. Today, I received what looked like an authentic email claiming to be from the licencing authority telling me my payment had been rejected by the bank and my licence would run out on Nov 5th so I should click on a link to renew it or they would prosecute me. I checked the licence number at the top of the email with my licence number and they were different so it was obviously a scam. If this happens to you, don't be taken in.

and I would always suggest people contact the company about these kinds of things before doing anything, that way, you know for sure if it's fake or not!

Or simply look at the URL at the top of the mail.

TV Licencing will be from tvlicensing.co.uk and anything to do with car tax, licences or MOTs will always come from gov.co.uk.