Guilty with out being charged

I think a lot of the fault lies with the CPS, who decide whether to prosecute or not, and IMO don't always get it right.

The problem with the CPS is that it is 'target driven' which means that they will only put something forward for prosecution that has a chance of success above a certain cut off percentage.

That leads to the very unsatisfactory situation where many victims of crime are told by the police that there is enough evidence to show beyond doubt that the perpetrator is guilty but the CPS will not authorise a prosecution because a conviction cannot be guaranteed.

This leads to an equally unsatisfactory situation where there is a level of criminality where the perpetrators know that even if the crime is investigated fully, it is highly unlikely that they will ever see the inside of a courtroom.

If the accusation is made by a female then trial by media is fine in my book.

why just female

---------- Post added 12-10-2018 at 02:04 ----------

So i wounder why the majority on here were so against Kavanaugh? Was it more against Trump, was it a case of throwing a man under the bus to prove a point.

Edited by phil752

The problem with the CPS is that it is 'target driven' which means that they will only put something forward for prosecution that has a chance of success above a certain cut off percentage.

That leads to the very unsatisfactory situation where many victims of crime are told by the police that there is enough evidence to show beyond doubt that the perpetrator is guilty but the CPS will not authorise a prosecution because a conviction cannot be guaranteed.

This leads to an equally unsatisfactory situation where there is a level of criminality where the perpetrators know that even if the crime is investigated fully, it is highly unlikely that they will ever see the inside of a courtroom.

Why am I not surprised ....

So basically forget the jury, the CPS decides whether someone is guilty, because they are the only ones they put forward. There must be thousands of borderline cases that never even see the light of day.

No wonder crime is a growing industry. It seems to be the only thing that pays these days.

So basically forget the jury, the CPS decides whether someone is guilty, because they are the only ones they put forward. There must be thousands of borderline cases that never even see the light of day.

No wonder crime is a growing industry. It seems to be the only thing that pays these days.

so you are in agreement that Kavanaugh, was more a reaction against Trump than his innocence.

so you are in agreement that Kavanaugh, was more a reaction against Trump than his innocence.

I know nothing of Kavannnaugh except his name. Not been following the story.

So basically forget the jury, the CPS decides whether someone is guilty, because they are the only ones they put forward.

Worse than that, the police do!

Because the threshold for prosecution has become so high, the police themselves are now filing cases without the CPS ever seeing them, as they assume that they won't be taken any further. :mad:

I know nothing of Kavannnaugh except his name. Not been following the story.

gosh you must be the only one

The argument is not as simple as that.

Trump has appointed and attempted to appoint hundreds of people to political positions since his inauguration with little or no public comment.

Trump has publicly said that he doesn't have a problem with sexual assaults on women. He publicly endorses Roy Moore in Senate elections after many allegations of underage sexual assault were made against him. Then he nominates a judge for the Supreme Court who happens to have a number of allegations of sexual offending against him.

So right from the start, he is seen as 'Trump's kind of guy', and when 'very compelling' testimony (Trump's own words) is given against him as well as further allegations against him and his close friend, who is accused of organising 'rape parties' in his youth, there is a very strong ring of truth about the accusations.

Are you really saying that any Trump nomination for the Supreme Court would face the same allegations?

Either way, everybody is presumed not guilty unless and until convicted.

So anonymity is important unless there's at least a charge laid against the accused; some countries maintain it even up conviction.