"I didn't know you cared" - Sheffield filming locations?

Very interesting 'steve parry.' So, was The Bargemans Comfort in the series known really as The Red House at the time? I would love to see what it looks like from within, but i suppose the filming of the inside of The Bargeman's Comfort was really a studio set and not actually inside the pub.

Edited by Joe9T

I wish I could, cannot think of 4 more things to post about to hit the 5 Post hurdle!

See my PM please Joe90

Paul

Hi parlau,

I saw your Google Earth list of locations and I was wondering if the location on Carterknowle Rd for was definate?

Would you know which episodes actually had scenes shot in that particular location?

:)

Series 2 had scenes of Smithy Wood WMC on Smithy Wood, just off the bottom of Woodseats Rd.

Would love to know the road shown, where Carter had his night of passion with Linda Preston in Series 2.

Hi parlau,

I saw your Google Earth list of locations and I was wondering if the location on Carterknowle Rd for was definite?

Would you know which episodes actually had scenes shot in that particular location?

:)

I got all the locations from scouring this forum and have noted that Peter Tinniswood lived there and the house was used for some inside shots.

I am glad this thread is still alive :)

Paul

I got all the locations from scouring this forum and have noted that Peter Tinniswood lived there and the house was used for some inside shots.

I am glad this thread is still alive :)

Paul

Where you have placed the pin on Carterknowle Rd, for Tinniswood's house, on Google Earth, is that the exact house or is that just for the road?

I still watch the series and sometimes prefer the first two series and then the last two.

I think my fave series is series 3, where Mort goes to the doctors and finding he has only six months to live, and Les takes up the house work, whilst Annie does a days graft at Dinky Bakery.

It is an approximate position until further news, I got the place from previous posts here by Plain Talker and algy.

I have had the box set bought for Christmas, I recognise many of the locations as we have a narrow boat. We moor in Sheffield and pass through the locks whenever we go cruising the canals.

Anita Carey who played Pat was considered to be a bit of hot totty :hihi: in my day....

Mick

I believe some of the filming was done round ecclesall road[/s]

if my memory serves me right some scenes were filmed in and around rabone chestermans works on pomona street

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 20:33 ----------

did anybody work there in the 1969 to 1974 i served my apprentiship in the toolroom foreman named ernest dunn

Hi there,

I've just joined this site tonight in hope that all the great fans of "I didn't know you cared" are still out there! I watched the entire series in the 70's on BBC and finally got the DVD box set last week.

What a joy to watch it all again! fantastic!

Since then I've been reading through this forum and it's wonderful to see so many fans.

I've had great fun looking for the locations on Google maps and plan to visit Sheffield soon.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to the forum, I was able to find practically every location.

Sad to see so many of the old pubs gone. I feel like Uncle Mort did now!! But sure we cant stop progress and change I suppose.

I've often wondered if anyone set up a website with "Then and Now" photos and info of the locations used?

On 01/03/2007 at 15:11, PCInfield said:

Sorry to disagree,but the bowling green is at High Hazels.The pavilion has changed but the greens are still there and in use.

On 23/07/2008 at 22:36, Bilge said:

Good god Carter. I've finally got the box-set. Sheer poetry. Uncle Mort has always been a hero of mine. My late dad loved him too and sort of modelled himself on him! So it's nice to see him again.

Is there a fan's website yet Joe9T/Mario78?

On 03/10/2010 at 14:29, PCInfield said:

They are at Swinton.

If you go through Swinton on the train you can see them,on the right-hand side if you're going from Sheffield to Leeds.

Having just watched all 27 episodes, I had to research the locations.

Hope you like my finding.

And Big Thanks to all that started the topic.

Enjoy 8).

Filming Locations as they appear in ‘I Didn’t Know You Cared’.

Open sequence introducing Anita Carey as Pat. I thought this was an easy one.  

Crookes Rd passing the top of Roslin Rd.

(Was it that easy no one mentioned it before?).

Wardsend Cemetery, situated on the hillside of Shirecliffe and stretching all the way down to Coopers car spares at Hillsborough (and the original entrance into the cemetery). This picture from 1958 couldn’t have been far off the same location used for the opening ‘Funeral scene’ in episode 1.

See the source image

Unused since the 1970’s and finally closed in 1988 Wardsend was left neglected until a ‘Friends of’ society came to the rescue. Check out the various ‘Guided Walks’ and ‘Fungi finding events on the link below.

Events – Friends of Wardsend Cemetery (wordpress.com)

Mort’s Allotment, episode 1, Brincliffe edge (entrance on Archer Lane).

‘Google maps’ clearly show the roads inside the ‘Allotment’ and the ‘Corner plot’ used for Mort’s Allotment.

As kids, we played in a ‘Railway carriage’ on allotments at Greenhill, before they built houses on the land.

It’s hard to believe, the land where the Chancet Wood estate is now, was all allotments.

The question as to how hefty Railway carriages often ended up in the middle of allotments, away from any substantial road, has always puzzled, but ‘hey Ho’ we enjoyed the times we spent in ours.

The Brandon’s family home, 25 Endcliffe Rise Rd. Straight away, the Brandon’s house had me puzzled. I could see Brocco Bank at the bottom of the road, and despite knowing the area couldn’t recall a house with a Passage (Ginnel) that led directly underneath any of the houses (Anyone know of any others in Sheffield?).

Canal scenes (Sheffield). From above and keeping Shepcote lane to your right, the Canal system can easily be followed with Google maps. Lock House Walk off Shepcote Lane will take you down to Trinity Locks and Marina. There are three rail bridges crossing the canal further down from the Marina, all have locks next to them so finding the actual filming location shouldn’t be that hard.

53 Huntley Rd, Ecclesall, Pat’s Mothers House. Little change, the front gate has disappeared, and in the 40 + years since filming a hedge has made an appearance.

125-127 Club Garden Rd Temperance bar (corner of Salmon St) This was never a ‘Temperance bar’, says Grocers in 1972 Kelly’s directory, but I can never remember the shop ever being open.

Myrtle Inn, Heeley. Bit of a misnomer as the pub was actually on Alexandra Rd (No 33), Eric Staniforth landlord (?). I can remember the cast being in the area, but told they didn’t film inside the pub.

Linda’s House. (Where Carter gets lucky) I’m going to offer up an educated guess here. So many houses and roads were demolished at that time together with the scene being filmed in the dark its near on impossible to be sure (But I think I’ve got it).

The houses remind me of my mates house on Montague St, but Montague St only had houses on one side.

Pembroke St the next road on ran parallel with Montague St but had houses on both sides.

See the source image

Check out the footage (Series 1 episode 4 part 5 on YouTube)

Allowing for the top half of the street being demolished down to where the car is parked, the road is of a same gradient, the streetlamp on the left being the one the taxi pass’s and the streetlamp further down being where Carter swings himself around - “Am I right? – don’t answer that”.

Masborough station. Happy daze getting off the train from Sheffield, pint in’t Prince of Wales, down t’ Queens Hotel for another, make our way through town and up to Clifton Hall for an evening of Rock n roll.

Pat and Carter’s new house. Dronfield Woodhouse has been suggested, I’m not convinced and will cover why later.

Turbine Terrace. (Napier St). In the background scenes, taken from inside the derelict house, the spare land is where the terrace houses have been demolished, and the houses on the skyline are those of Cemetery Road.

New opening scene. Series 3.

I’m almost sure the ‘new Pat’ is turning on to Wharf Rd at Tinsley.

So much has changed around the area, but if you were heading into Templeborough and turned on to Wharf Rd, then left, back on yourself (as she is doing) you would be in a direct line with the cooling towers and the Railway Catenary would be explained by those of the railway running along the other side of the river Don.

(I had to look up ‘Catenary’). I only recognised it because there was a car spares, I used regularly back then in the block of shops just around the corner.

Radbone and Chestermans. Pomona St. I think it’s reasonable to assume the interior ‘workplace’ footage was inside Chestermans, while the outside shots speak for themselves.

The Prince. Pomona St.

& The Rising Sun. Pomona St. Yep! the two pubs filmed for the ‘mystery tour outing’ were bang opposite Chestermans, and just as close together as they looked on screen. Never drank in ‘the Prince’ (the Rising Sun and the Pomona were easier for getting served underage :blush:).

55 Huntley Rd, Ecclesall.  Back to Huntley Rd for Carter and Pat's meeting with her mother’s neighbour, Mrs Mansfield. (Stalybridge / Congleton / Tunstall) 🤣.

High Hazels Park. Bowling green. Permission was given for the ‘disused’ bowling green to be adapted for ‘dog training’ in 2021.

54 Endcliffe Rise Rd. Back to Endcliffe Rise Rd. for Mort’s doctors.

Frog walk. Running (probably the best thing to do in an evening) down from the top of Cemetery Rd (by the gas-lamp) to Cemetery Avenue where it crosses Porter Brook. The right fork of Frog Walk leads to Sharrow Vale Rd, having passed the ‘Snuff Mill Pond on the right-hand side. A little further on, Stalker Walk continues the journey of Porter Brook to where a Police box stood at the bottom of Montague St.

Shop’s at Sharrow vale.

Ecclesall bakery, Corner of Hickmott Rd and Neil Rd.

Porter Cottage public house. Corner of Sharrow Vale Rd and Meadow Terrace.

Bendix self-service launderette, also Sharrow Vale Rd.

Tesco’s Ecclesall Rd. Before there was one on every corner, this was the biggest supermarket in the area.

Did you know the green roof of the flats above Tesco’s is actually copper (would take some Basso and elbow grease)?

Faulkners Snooker Hall, 16 Cambridge St.  We used Langton’s more at Heeley or the YMCA on Broomhall Rd.

(You could open the curtains instead of feeding the meter).

27 Endcliffe Rise Rd, Back to Endcliffe Rise for Linda’s moving next door to the Brandon’s.

Smithy Wood Working Men’s Club, Smithy Wood Rd, Woodseats. The interior shots were definitely not that of the Club. The Garages further up and opposite the club is where ‘Top Gear filmed the excellent ‘Top Gear Reliant Robin’ episode.

Ecclesall Rd Shops. 343 Gardaner watch makers, Findley hardware, Taj Mahal. Collegiate Campus opposite.

Anti-Natal clinic. Possibly Nether Edge but more likely Jessops. (And our Lass would know :blush:).

Canal basin Victoria Quay, Wow! has that place changed since we used to collect sheds from there.

I remember the guy who wouldn’t move / pay his mooring fees for the boat he’d built and kept under the delipidated Warehouse.

Crich Tramway Museum, Crich Derbyshire. The place has improved a lot from the time ‘I didn’t know you cared’ was filmed there. The tall wall standing on its own with no windows or interior when they first arrive was actually the front facia of the ‘Derby Assembly Building’. Architectural salvaged, brought brick by brick to Crich and eventually reassembled into the rather impressive building that is there today, as was the ‘Old World’ Stoke on Trent Public house ‘The Red Lion’ after being rescued from the demolition man’s wrecking ball. Absolutely love the ‘glazed’ brick frontage to the pub. Not been? – put it on your bucket list – got a classic car / motorcycle? You can park for nothing – you have to stop for a while but ‘Hey Ho’! Check for opening times. Ride on as many trams as you like, as often as you want all day + free 12 month return for a year if you’ve paid full price for a ticket. Sounds good? It is.

Take time to visit the nearby ‘Foresters war memorial’ climb the steps of the tower for excellent views.

Bargeman and Comfort / Canal and Picnic. Dun St, Swinton (Mexborough). The second pub, ‘the Ship’ has long gone. The woodyard, Waddington’s is still there, but the lock gates used in the filming (the one Cartland’s pushing looked rotten then) are no longer there and the canal is blocked from that point.

Bookies, 64 Sharrow St, (corner of Salmon St). Kelly’s says Grocers in 72, but again cannot remember it ever being open as a shop when we lived nearby.

Despite the filming making it look like ‘The Bargeman and Comfort’ is only across the bridge (Les says “20 yards”), there is, in fact a distance of 16 miles (long lens camera?) 🤣.

City general. (After Pat’s crash) This has to be Jessops Hospital. Again, Mrs Rocker should know :blush: . The ‘Tower Blocks’ of Netherthorpe can clearly be seen in the background through the windows.

St Andrews Church, St Andrews Rd. Nether edge. Unfortunately, now gone (bet they couldn’t pull it down quick enough to make way for the posh apartments built on the site now).

Right! I haven’t included the house Pat and Carter planned to buy on the new housing estate, because I am convinced this is not Dronfield Woodhouse as suggested. I’ve checked the whole Dronfield Woodhouse area without success (Google maps, etc). The topography and type of houses just don’t match up with anything there now (Someone prove me wrong – or tell me where they are - please).

The Cooling towers caused trouble for some reason in the early replies. While camera angles and the 3rd smaller tower looking bigger or not even there at all, added to the confusion. The towers were in fact built in 1937, but left off ordinance survey maps, because it was felt they would have made good markers for bombers aiming for Sheffield’s steel mills should  war break out.

That’s the Locations, so what about the characters and program itself?

The ‘comedic’ writing is excellent with each of the actors getting a share of the limelight throughout, and is only marred by the embarrassing use, or overuse of one liner’s.

Uncle Stavely’s “I heard that – Pardon” or Pat’s mothers, “Am I right – don’t answer that” work well the first time, but by the time its been spouted five or six times within half an hour, the novelty wears off.

The introduction of racism in the later episodes is mild compared to other programs around that time, but could well have done without it.

As annoying as the first Cartland, Stephen Rea, was, for not taking more notice of the lovely Anita Carey (Pat) (now aged 74), I’m in the camp that both the 1st Cartland and 1st Pat were better than their replacements in series three.

I’d have liked, to have seen, a lot more of the ‘three Aunts from Glossop’ and would love to know how Linda’s baby (Natalie Maslan) got on in life.

So that's it.

If you haven't watched the series, YouTube have the full episodes all in one place.

Go on catch a piece of 70's Sheffield.

With Google maps you don't even have to get out of your armchair 🙃.

Keep safe 8) .

Enjoy.

Flags out, Bunting up, free bar (Padders paying)

🏁 🚩 🏳️ 🏴‍☠️ 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻 🏳️ 🏴‍☠️ 🏁 🚩 🍺 🍺🍺 🥃🥃 🍺🍺 🍺 :banana:

I Found Pat & Carters house :thumbsup:

Fosey was right back in #79,  It was Dronfield Woodhouse. (4 Marston Close S18 8RX)

Reason I couldn't find it ?

They'ed changed the windows 🤣 🤣 .

The 'Estate type' 'windows down to the floor', as seen in the link below have been replaced at some point, the large trees are no more and the the first house has had an extension built at some point. 

I Didn't Know You Cared Series 2 Episode 2 Pt 2 - YouTube

Compared to below 

Google - Google Maps

So there you go puzzle solved.

Not sure what happened to Yootha' the original instigator of this topic or her plans for a 'I didn't know you cared' appreciation website.

Where ever you are Yootha - thank you .

I think I have covered all the locations now.

While I am sure Pembroke St is correct for Linda Preston's house, I think the scene after Carter gets lucky :blush:  is some where else (the lamp post is of an older design) (how anal anorak does that sound :blush: )  but with filming at night etc it wouldn't be unexpected the filming of both scenes wouldn't have been filmed at different locations.

Rocker, one happy bunny 8).

Just finishing off reading Tillisons book of the same title.

You'll have to wait for the synopsis 🥴.