St Barnabas School, Cecil Road

Did anyone on the forum go to this junior school? I think it was demolished in the earley 1980s. It was a great little school but not many people seem to have heard of it, be great to know anyone else's memories.

Edited by only_me
St Barnabas not Barnabus.

Hi Only_Me

Are you sure that you've got the correct name for the school. I seem to remember that the school on Cecil Road was called "Cecil Road School", and St Barnabas school was on Alderson Road - a small Church of England school. If I am correct, St Barnabas school is still there - now the showroom of the Discount Bed company.

Hi Only_Me

Are you sure that you've got the correct name for the school. I seem to remember that the school on Cecil Road was called "Cecil Road School", and St Barnabas school was on Alderson Road - a small Church of England school. If I am correct, St Barnabas school is still there - now the showroom of the Discount Bed company.

Yes i am pretty sure, both schools came under the parish of St Barnabus church. Both schools used to share a bus to go to Abbeydale grange to use their sports ground together (at least while i was there)

Both the Alderson road and Cecil road schools were CofE primary schools affiliated to the parish church of St. Barnabas. I think that because the Alderson road school was the earlier it got the 'official' parish title.

In fact the St Barnabas parish Sunday school was held in Cecil road.

I seem to remember going to the cub scouts at alderson rd school, maybe early 1970's

It certainly was called St Barnabas. Like Alderson road school, it was a parish school to the church.

I remember it being comparatively small-ish, blackened, and grimy-looking.

It was demolished earlier than the 1980s, (but not very much earlier, TBH) as it was knocked down in about 1978, as our houses on Mount Pleasant Road were still there when the school, and the surrounding houses on Sitwell, Sheringham and Cecil roads were demolished.

We moved out in April 1979, and our houses were demolished shortly after. (perhaps summer 79?)

Thanks P/T i think most of the buildings were soot or grimey looking in those days. If memory serves me correctly most of the large buildings ie schools librarys church halls in the area were cleaned (sand blasted) I bet if the school was there now it would look small in comparison to say sharrow, but it looked big to me in those days. I can also recall the school centenary celerbrations around 1972 and the fun we had. Happy memories :)

In the late 60's and very early seventies, i do remember a lot of local schools such as Carbrook school, and Sharrow Lane school being sandblasted clean (the town hall even had the treatment!) but they were built in stone.

(one of my childhood memories was being about three years old, maybe less, and being walked past carbrook School as it was being sandblasted, and getting extremely upset because some of the grit blew into my eye, which hurt like heck!)

I think that st barnabas on cecil road looked grimy because it was built in the same red brick as the houses around it.

In the late 60's and very early seventies, i do remember a lot of local schools such as Carbrook school, and Sharrow Lane school being sandblasted clean (the town hall even had the treatment!) but they were built in stone.

(one of my childhood memories was being about three years old, maybe less, and being walked past carbrook School as it was being sandblasted, and getting extremely upset because some of the grit blew into my eye, which hurt like heck!)

I think that st barnabas on cecil road looked grimy because it was built in the same red brick as the houses around it.

I always thought it was built in stone but could be wrong as its so long ago, but i do remember the high brick wall that went round the playground fronting cecil and horner road.

i was one of the last pupils there before it closed about 1981.

Not before one of the classrooms caught fire during the summer holidays and nearly burnt the whole school down.They turned it into a language learning centre for a few years now its a bed warehouse.bought our young un a bed there once, weird going back inside seemed so small but still has all the wood cladding all around.

LONG LIVE MR TREECE AND HIS SIZE NINE TRAINER---OUCH.

viva las vegas!!!

My grandmother went there! She was born in 1891! I have some old photos which I can scan and send to anyone who would like them.

i was one of the last pupils there before it closed about 1981.

Not before one of the classrooms caught fire during the summer holidays and nearly burnt the whole school down.They turned it into a language learning centre for a few years now its a bed warehouse.bought our young un a bed there once, weird going back inside seemed so small but still has all the wood cladding all around.

LONG LIVE MR TREECE AND HIS SIZE NINE TRAINER---OUCH.

viva las vegas!!!

nozzer, unfortunately, it's the other St Barnabas School we were talking about, on Cecil Road, not the one over on Alderson Road (which Is, indeed a bed shop, now)

I'm still wracking my brains to remember the material the school on Cecil Road was built in, whether it was brick or stone. I remember, very well, the high wall, and how dark and grimy looking it was.

in 1978/9 the first phase of the clearance happened. The top half of Mount Pleasant Road was demolished, and I remember a temporary path through toward Vincent road. We moved out in April 1979, and the remainder of our street was demolished later that Summer.