Fairthorn children's home at Dore

I spent a week at Fairthhorn in the early 1930,s From what i remember of it it was then at Redmires,right next to the moors I still remember a song we sang

Fairthorn by the sea

Fairthorn by the sea

Its lovely in the sunshine

just the place for me

Beware of Mr Clements

Beware of matron too

they will lock you in the garage

and slap your how do you do

It must have done me some good as my health wasnt very good those days am now 81 and fit as a fiddle

Hi Kingfisher, you are right Fairthorn Lodge were at Redmires, My aunt mrs emma pearson were matron there and then went to fairthorn at Dore, she lived and farmed Hallfield Farm with my uncle Tom at totley just below Fairthone.Shepherd2005.

i lived in darnall in the 60s and i went to fairthorn 2 or 3 times i was 9 years old i remember going for walks into the woods and being told witches used to be there years ago also went on walks up a road called long line now i know why it was called that it seemed to go on forever if memory serves me correctly we was put on number 50 bus on trippet lane what a different world dore was compared to darnall happy times that was 60 years ago seems like yesterday :love::love::love::love:

I went to Fairthorn in 1955 for two weeks and it was Mr & Mrs Chumbley who were in charge. I remember their son Peter but can`t recall their daughter`s name. I remember feeling homesick at first as it was the first time I`d stayed away from home. We played games indoors and out, had visitors at weekends, went to the tuck shop, had a few mini concerts and went for long walks. The food was good and I think the head cook`s name was Mrs Ollerenshaw. I recall having bread & dripping and cocoa at suppertime and porridge for breakfast. I was in the blue room and a girl in our room pulled a bit of fluff from the blanket and tossed it across the beds like a ball. She was caught by a `carer` and it resulted in us all having to put 6d in the funds toward new bedding.

I was sent to fairthorn due to ill health I think it was 1959, I recall I was very upset because I was put in the green bedroom, a colour I hated! While I was there it was very hot, and I had bad hay fever, the man who ran the place took me to the doctors for tablets to help with the sneezing. I never really settled and was homesick so only lasted 8days and mum had to come and fetch me home. Does anyone know when it closed as a convalescent home?

Hi there.

We believe our gran was in the Fairthorne Childrens Home in the late 1930's or early 1940's . I would like to know if there was records or registers anywhere of the children in the home. Her name was Marjorie Joyce Dunn and she married Arthur James Edwards on the 30 July 1945. They then left and boarded a ship for South Africa.

Can anyone assist me as to where I can look for more information?

Thankyou.

Gayl:)

Threads merged. Only one thread per topic please.

I was here for a month in the mid sixtys,there was a family in charge at that time with two or three daughters,I remember miss judith. and I was in charge of the pink room. there was a roundabout in the garden that we were not supposed to go on as rabbitts lived under it.but me and a mate stood on it and we got the slipper, and I trapped my fingers in the door on the way out.We had fancy dress competitions (I was Liberace).and got a shock off the electric fence on our way to church on sundays.I have photos from my stay there.did'nt like being away from my family.

Dear Herbiegrass - I have information about you post that may be of interest to you. I am a new member so can't PM you direct. If you PM me I will send you my Email address and contact you directly.

Kind regards

Basil162

hi I went to fairthorne. along with my brothers.it was a big rambling house .with dorms which were different colours, and you were placed in one of these . it was for poor or underweight children.we had long walks and activities in the countryside walking for hours on nature trails etc.gave you a hearty appetite. food was a plenty which was great news for us.we had a job everyday to do ie cleaning gardening etc.visits were on a sunday. my dad used to come with a few bob or fruit sweets buns to put in yre bank to b eaten during the week.there was a lot of under privilage children there. we came from Attercliffe which was mostly slum housing in the 60s.so it was a nice break for us and our parents.although I got upset at first and tried to get the bus home on my own.looking back it served a purpose and I enjoyed my time there.very strict rules and everyone stuck to them.

What a place fairthorn never liked it bad memories You go all people from South Yorkshire there

What a place fairthorn never liked it bad memories You go all people from South Yorkshire there

I never knew anyone from outer Sheffield go there in the 50s or 60s, is there any particular reason why you didn't like it? Have you got the right place in mind?

If it was fairthorn think it was out in Derbyshire,castelton way I went for a week there were people from Womwell ,and Barnsley it was the place I did not like wanted to get get back home but mayed me stop for the week

This topic is very interesting. Does anyone else have additional information about the original site located near Redmires Reservoirs?