Settling an argument! Winstons.

I also remeber Winstones on Spital Hill it was just after the East House pub on the righthand side as you were going away from town towards Burngreave Road.

Men's reasonably priced clothing and accessories but it wasn't Barney Goodman's.

Sure wasn't. Being a teenager, I used to shop there but the quality of the stuff was awful. After a few short months the black drainpipe trousers I wore became threadbare.:o

Sure wasn't. Being a teenager, I used to shop there but the quality of the stuff was awful. After a few short months the black drainpipe trousers I wore became threadbare.:o

The worst quality was Bunnys in the entrance to the Norfolk Market hall.When Jailhouse Rock came out me and my mate went to Bunnys and bought a black jean jacket and some black jeans.These added to a pair of black suede shoes made us extremely cool.Worn over a white tee shirt with the obligatory neck chain and we were the bees knees( or so we thought).

Nah then Stunmon, as I have plenty of time on my hands, here is Winstons from a different angle in 1974. If you have any further alleged arguments then feel free to ask me for photos, seeing that Hillsbro has been fired, and that’s a first.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 21:53 ----------

Here are two more shots of Winstons. One shot is the same as the photo Mickyboy kindly put on, but slightly lower down the hill with different people. The second shot shows only half of the Winston shop, but highlights the café next-door, Paramount. Here and Here. 1973 and 1972.

--

Padders mentioned the Paramount photo bought back memories for him. I wonder if he ever eated the speciality of the house. A doorstep sized Red & White streaky bacon sandwich, with a generous splodge of Red sauce. The sandwich then cut through with a very Sharp Blade-d knife. Yummy.

--

I remember one of my visits to the Paramount during the early 70s. I had gone in for one of dem famous bacon sarnies, and a cuppa char. Whilst there, I got chatting to a female customer sat at the table next to the window. During our conversation, I noted we had the same interests (including sex) as each other. Having polished off my gut-busting doorstep sarnie, I wiped mi gob with one of those ultra-soft serviettes the Paramount always had. Suddenly, my co-conversationess grabbed me, and we were immediately locked in a wild passionate kiss. I was certainly not going to be complaining about the girl’s oral assault on me. After all, we both were on Snog Hill. This is a made-up story, a falsehood. LOL. Two much time on my hands (wrist).

Remember those luminous socks that fellas wore in the late 50s? I bought mine from Winstons. One day, our Latin teacher at High Storrs GS stopped his lesson to point out to everyone that he was finding it hard to continue because he was dazzled by the socks that soft ayperth (insert real name) was wearing.:hihi:

I seem to remember Winstons on Snig Hill had a display window and possibly an entrance in one of the passage ways leading to the Hole in the Road. I bought a pair of snazzy pin striped flared trousers from them.