Greystones sec mod school

Does anybody have any recollections of school life, pupils and teachers

at Greystones during 1951 - 1956 ?

1943 the only school where boys and girls sat in the same class,so far ahead of its time,i have fond memory of this school

A friend of mine, Martin Simpson, went to Greystones from 1952 to 57. Haven't seen him for over 40 years.

Went to Greystones 1954 to its closure as an Intermediate School in 1956.

Mr Reeman was headmaster and Deputy Miss Hopwood who taught Music and Needlework,a fearsome teacher who terrified me.She only died a few years ago,well in her nineties.I still have copies of The Martlet school magazine with lots of signatures on the back.It was tradition at the end of the academic year to get the leavers to sign the magazine.

In 2004 a book was launched about the school for its centenury.I went back for this ,first time since 1956 and it brought back many happy memories.I dont think it was promoted enough,there did'nt seem all that many there and certainly no one I recognised and I never saw the book on sale in the local bookshops.

Hi Audrey F. I was at Greystones school around that period and remember Mr Reeman and had the same fear of Miss Hopwood!!! Also have Martlets & would like to get in touch with you. My name was Marilyn Hasler. Do you remember me?

Hi Marylin

I remember the name but can't put a face to you.Maybe we were in different years. The school closed at the end of my 3rd year.King Ecgberts just was'nt the same.I opted to join the Commercial class i.e.4c.I would have preferred Science but the form mistress for Science option was Miss Baxter and just as scarry as Miss Hopwood.

Do you remember the Ranch House and all that marching we had to practice prior to Sports Day and the rehersals for Speech Day.

I see you're new to this Forum so if you want to contact me you can click on my user name and choose PM option

Regards

Audrey[nee Radford]

Hi Audrey,

I was very excited to get a reply from you. unfortunately I have to have 10 postings before I can use the personal method. We are having major work at home and every room is upside down and I can't remember where my Martlets are. I wanted to look and find the date of the one I am pictured in. It is probably 1954 and I'm in the netball team and I seem to remember your name from netball. Am i right? I did go to King Ecgberts but don't have the same recall as you!! Kitty used to put the fear of God into me , just like Miss Hopwood. I couldn't believe she died recently, she used to live with Miss Baxter on Carterknowle Road.I would like to email you on a personal level in the future. I'm not brilliant with computers and haven't been on the net very long. I found that my class had a reunion this April but unfortunately I was away. A few names from my year Norma Wilson, Christine & Sylvia Brown (twins) Pearl Methley, Anne Bronks, Elaine Ibbotson, Christine Marriott to name a few. I live in Ilkeston in Derbyshire, it's about 7miles from Nottingham. I often come to Sheffield as I have a sister living there. Look forward to your next contact. Marilyn Cam ( nee Hasler)

Hello Ilkeston

I have tried to contact you tonight via the address you gave me on

Friends Reunited regarding the signed Martlet and other Greystones

memories. Tony

Hi Tony,

I haven't had anything through on friends reunited, but if you want to get in touch with me my email address is john.cam2@ntlworld.com

Hope to hear from you again. Marilyn

Hi Marylin, You have mentioned me - Ann Hill (nee Bronks) and the re-union

you missed. Just to let you and others who may be interested know that Norma Wilson, Chris and Sylvia Brown, Beryl Marriott, Yvonne Rowland and Chrissie Ireson all went on a cruise for our 60th birthday and we are all off

again in June next year for our 65th. Except Pearl because she has to look

after her Mum. We have been in touch for many years now and meet about

twice a year. Anyone who wants to join our luncheon club will be most

welcome. (Marilyn - I even remember your address 218 Tullibardine Road!

and your birhday is the day after mine! Look forward to seeing you sometime. Ann Hill JP (nee Bronks)

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your email, it was great to hear from you. I always remembered your birthday was March 20th but wouldn't know your address although I did go to your house for tea once. I think it was to Parson Cross. It would be great to meet you sometime and catch up.I bet you had a great time all together on your 60th and I'm sure on the 65th too!!! How did you all manage to keep in touch originally . Do you live in the same area? I've missed out on all the fun so it seems. All best wishes Marilyn (Maz)

hi, just rang my mum to confirm dates, she went there from 1948 till 1655 does any one know her? Elaine Chapman was her name then, she lived on Murray Road.or her older sister Pamela?