Yet Another Rogues Gallery Of Groomers Emerges

Seems to happen on a weekly basis and doesn't even warrent national headlines anymore but Oxfordshire police have made a number of arrests in Banbury relating to an Asian grooming gang (with what appears to be a British accomplice), the scale of these things is staggering.

Do you have a link for this, thanks

Seems to happen on a weekly basis and doesn't even warrent national headlines anymore but Oxfordshire police have made a number of arrests in Banbury relating to an Asian grooming gang (with what appears to be a British accomplice), the scale of these things is staggering.

wouldnt the "asians" be british too? if theyve lived here all their lives?

In name only Mel.

Do you have to eat pork to be proper British? :rolleyes:

That is a strange comment.

Don't people of asian origin eat pork then?

To be British would mean you have ancestry connected to the British isles. A British citizen is not the same thing. If I as a white British person moved to Japan, does that make me Japanese?

To be British would mean you have ancestry connected to the British isles. A British citizen is not the same thing. If I as a white British person moved to Japan, does that make me Japanese?

If you became a Japanese citizen then yes clearly. My partner is polish by birth but described herself as british having lived here for 10 years and being a UK citizen. In fact I'd say someone who chooses to move to another country, become a citizen (which in the UK is quite hard!) and spend their lives working and contributing here has more claims to being British than someone who just happened to drop out of their mothers womb here and had no choice in the matter. Going on ancestry would mean we are all Somali aren't we?

If you became a Japanese citizen then yes clearly. My partner is polish by birth but described herself as british having lived here for 10 years and being a UK citizen. In fact I'd say someone who chooses to move to another country, become a citizen (which in the UK is quite hard!) and spend their lives working and contributing here has more claims to being British than someone who just happened to drop out of their mothers womb here and had no choice in the matter. Going on ancestry would mean we are all Somali aren't we?

Not if you are an extraterrestrial time traveller you arent.

How someone describes themself and what they actually are can be very different. I understand the confusion, but as I said, to be a citizen of a country is not the same as being from that country. You are of the country but not from the country. Some countries such as Australia and the Americas are harder to determine as they are built from a majority immigrant population, but where a country is not, the above applies.

Your partner would be a naturalised British Citizen and the shorthand for this is to be simply called British, but this is misleading.

Edited by Berberis

How someone describes themself and what they actually are can be very different. I understand the confusion, but as I said, to be a citizen of a country is not the same as being from that country. You are of the country but not from the country. Some countries such as Australia and the Americas are harder to determine as they are built from a majority immigrant population, but where a country is not, the above applies.

Your partner would be a naturalised British Citizen and the shorthand for this is to be simply called British, but this is misleading.

I see your point but I don't agree or understand why we have terms for where people are genetically native from as opposed to where they decide to be a citizen of? I'm not trying to be difficult I just really don't understand this concept

I see your point but I don't agree or understand why we have terms for where people are genetically native from as opposed to where they decide to be a citizen of? I'm not trying to be difficult I just really don't understand this concept

It's also what everyone else thinks you. Going back to your Japanese example I could, in your world, clutching my my Japanese passport suggest to my Japanese friend that I, as a pasty faced former Englishman, am as Japanese as he is they probably exclaim Anata wa oppaidesu ka!!!