Supertram Bus link

I live in Stocksbridge and I use the Bus link to Middlewood quite often; its a good service and I enjoy using it.

However, there are too many times when it arrives at Middlewood just as the tram is leaving. Also the same in reverse; The tram arrives at the terminus just

as the Bus is leaving. I thought that these two transport modes , run by the same Company, are supposed to work in tandem and not the reverse.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

They are different parts of the same company. I know they have to run to time, but it's annoying.

i use the middlewood tram link on thurs and friday...all too often do the buses run irregular ...some times i have seen 3 arriving together but more often two....one day the driver pulled in at 9.20 ,the bus driver got off and disappeared...the next bus drove in and i asked him what time he was due out..he said 9.32. so when first bus driver came back at 9,30 i asked him what time he was due out...he said 9.22 but he had been stuck in traffic....when i said we all had seen him come in at 9.20 he just blanked me and refused to talk...i would have been less annoyed if he had said he had gone for fag instead of lying

I live in Stocksbridge and I use the Bus link to Middlewood quite often; its a good service and I enjoy using it.

However, there are too many times when it arrives at Middlewood just as the tram is leaving. Also the same in reverse; The tram arrives at the terminus just

as the Bus is leaving. I thought that these two transport modes , run by the same Company, are supposed to work in tandem and not the reverse.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I think this is something that will never be perfect. Sometimes the bus gets a clear run and arrives at Middlewood earlier than scheduled and you see the earlier tram departing. On the other hand there has been delays to the bus over the last week or two due to roadworks, generally when the trams are on a 10 minute interval service it is viewed it is better for the tram to leave on time - remember at the other end of the line passengers want to make connections with trains at Meadowhall - as by the time the bus has driven round to the bus stop and passengers have started getting off, the next tram has already come in and ready to board.

Going the other way, trams can get stuck in traffic at Hillsborough corner, buses can also be delayed by traffic, potentially with drivers late for their break that may be legally required (maximum safe driving hours and all that). However at times when both bus and tram is running every 10 minutes it isn't that disruptive to journeys and to wait for delayed passengers would actually cause bigger knock on effects.

Evenings and Sundays when the service is every 20 minutes then trams/buses are more likely to wait for connetions within reason.

now the stupid lights have gone in stocksbridge it might get back to normal abit. it's been a nightmare trying to run to time when we are having to wait in sometimes 3 sets of temporary lights. when it first started we got 10 minutes stack fromm getting there to leaving but now it can be as little as 2 minutes, no good if theres alot of traffic or lights on the route

I used to live at Stocksbridge, and to be honest, I didn't find it that bad. It was rare that I was waiting for the bus or tram, and it if I was it wasn't for very long.

I think the road resurfacing project is going to be operating in the Stocksbridge area for a while, so probably more delays and temp lights to come.

Ongoing work at the new retail area probably hasn't helped either???

If the tram is returning to Middlewood - why would the ST Link bus leave the terminus to go to Stocksbridge before the tram got there? Doesn't make sense.

If the tram is returning to Middlewood - why would the ST Link bus leave the terminus to go to Stocksbridge before the tram got there? Doesn't make sense.

It would want to leave on time so it got to Stocksbridge to pick up the next lot of passengers on time....

Incidentally every Sunday in August the SupertramLink bus is included in the Supertram Summer Sunday special offer - £1 all day travel.

In my experience every driver I ask says he/she is on time and either the bus behind or in front is to blame. We live on Manchester Road and use the Ash Lane stop, we are used to 2, 3 or even 4 buses coming at once. I have mobility issues and waiting ages for a bus aint my idea of fun. I have been wondering if Stagecoach could run buses from each direction throughout the day rather than relying on the buses timing running from the P and D

I used to live at Stocksbridge, and to be honest, I didn't find it that bad. It was rare that I was waiting for the bus or tram, and it if I was it wasn't for very long.

I agree I rarely find there to be a problem, and when there is it's due to temp lights/roadworks or general queues of traffic on Middlewood Road at rush hour, which there isn't much they can do about.

I think the road resurfacing project is going to be operating in the Stocksbridge area for a while, so probably more delays and temp lights to come.

Ongoing work at the new retail area probably hasn't helped either???

They need to resurface Manchester Road as it goes through Wharncliffe Side, it is terrible, mind you they'll probably do it now I've moved :hihi:

Must be terrible on a road bike.