New Tesco Metro on Church St!

No idea !! What about you ?

When you consider that he believed that competition can lead to economic prosperity, it's not too difficult to work out what he'd have thought.

It was sold in an auction. You couldve gone & put a bid in and did what you liked with the building then.

I'm sorry, but that's really not a constructive attitude towards the use of buildings. What you're saying is basically whoever can splash the money to buy up land should then be able to do anything they want with it. Well obviously in the real world - not the world on Sheffield Forum - that just isn't practical.

The reason we have Development Control is because whilst market forces are fairly decent indicators of who wants what and where, it doesn't take in to account a lot of non-financial factors that have to be taken in to account. For example, a developer building a block of flats wouldn't care too much about what they look like from the outside so would probably leave it as bare concrete - but we shouldn't all have to live looking at that when we walk down the street, so that's where DC have to step in and enforce planning policies etc.

In this situation, I would argue the control here should have been on 'should this building be maintained for a use 'more appropriate' for it's stature as a building'. Since it's use as a bank is long consigned to history, I can otherwise see it as a high-end bar or a very high-end retailer. Instead, we have a Tesco.

Please don't think I'd rather this unit was empty or that I think it won't be successful - I'll be using it myself no doubt!! It's just this grand building is pretty much lost forever to this use class (the way planning works, it's unlikely to go back to being something else) so it's just a Tesco could have lived in a grottier building nearby quite successfully, whereas the uses I've mentioned above wouldn't.

Just to pick up on you 'why didn't you do it, then' argument;

I earn less than £20k p.a. so even if I managed to pick the unit up for £1 I'd still be pretty much bankrupted by submitting a planning application and having plans drawn up for whatever I wanted to do (£2,000 for an planning app fees I think?), let alone actually do any of it!!

So don't be silly. As for why another developer with money hasn't done what I think this unit should be used for, well, maybe there was - but this is Tesco we're talking about here. They want it, they got it.

So please try and give this whole thing a bit more thought clownshoes! Good to see it used, but the lost potential is saddening.

another consideration is that the building opposite are being turned into student "pods". Now do you think that having hundreds of student literally within twenty yards had something to do with Tesco opening an outlet that will sell alcohol?.

just you wait until the cathedral starts to get beer cans and uneaten food containers left around their new 3 million pound entrance. it will happen just you wait and see.

OMG SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL ARE A BUNCH OF COMMUNISTS WHO HATE BUSINESS AND WON'T LET NEW SHOPS OPEN IN THE CITY

...Sheffield City Council allow a small Tesco to open in the city centre...

SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL ARE IN THE POCKETS OF BIG BUSINESS ARE ARE RUINING OUR CITY BY ALLOWING COMMONERS SHOPS TO OPEN

Methinks the council can't win with some moaners.

I'm sorry, but that's really not a constructive attitude towards the use of buildings. What you're saying is basically whoever can splash the money to buy up land should then be able to do anything they want with it. Well obviously in the real world - not the world on Sheffield Forum - that just isn't practical.

The reason we have Development Control is because whilst market forces are fairly decent indicators of who wants what and where, it doesn't take in to account a lot of non-financial factors that have to be taken in to account. For example, a developer building a block of flats wouldn't care too much about what they look like from the outside so would probably leave it as bare concrete - but we shouldn't all have to live looking at that when we walk down the street, so that's where DC have to step in and enforce planning policies etc.

In this situation, I would argue the control here should have been on 'should this building be maintained for a use 'more appropriate' for it's stature as a building'. Since it's use as a bank is long consigned to history, I can otherwise see it as a high-end bar or a very high-end retailer. Instead, we have a Tesco.

Please don't think I'd rather this unit was empty or that I think it won't be successful - I'll be using it myself no doubt!! It's just this grand building is pretty much lost forever to this use class (the way planning works, it's unlikely to go back to being something else) so it's just a Tesco could have lived in a grottier building nearby quite successfully, whereas the uses I've mentioned above wouldn't.

I earn less than £20k p.a. so even if I managed to pick the unit up for £1 I'd still be pretty much bankrupted by submitting a planning application and having plans drawn up for whatever I wanted to do (£2,000 for an planning app fees I think?), let alone actually do any of it!!

So don't be silly. As for why another developer with money hasn't done what I think this unit should be used for, well, maybe there was - but this is Tesco we're talking about here. They want it, they got it.

So please try and give this whole thing a bit more thought clownshoes! Good to see it used, but the lost potential is saddening.

Excellent post pretty much what I

Meant

...Sheffield City Council allow a small Tesco to open in the city centre...

Methinks the council can't win with some moaners.

Just in case you're including me with that argument, I'd like to reiterate that isn't just as simple as, 'if the council planning department turn down an application, they must be anti-investment'. That is such a black and white way to see things. The council have more than just, 'will it bring money in to the city' to consider.

Again, I'm not furious about this - I'll be using this Tesco myself no doubt! But in terms of the ins and outs of development control, it just seems a shame that a potentially attractive restaurant/bar/high-end retailer won't be using this ornate unit. It's better than it being left to rot so it's more annoying because its just a testament to the way the world is at the moment.

---------- Post added 10-08-2013 at 15:41 ----------

That picture reminded me of another point; isn't just a very strange building for something like a Tesco...

From the link it sounds like they want a restaurant and a tesco express. Presumably the restaurant would take the 'interesting' features leaving tesco with the wide open space. A high end business is going to be tough sell for that particular building with all the public transport stops outside pretty perfect place for a shop though. Tesco are going to make a killing.

I think it will provide more jobs, anything that does that can't be bad right now.

I think it will provide more jobs, anything that does that can't be bad right now.

Working for Tesco is same thing as slavery. People get paid barely enough to survive and they have barely time left for themselves and family.

Well probably not - it will mean more jobs in this particular building but fewer jobs elsewhere as other businesses (there are a few small food shops in town) lose trade or close.

I dont know why its sad. As long as they dont paint the building fluorescent green then whats the problem.

People protest at Weatherspoons pubs going into old historic buildings but i think they have done more for renovation in this country than any other company in history.

My point is that its easy for you to come on the forum and complain that a unit thats been empty for over 5 years is not being used the way you feel it should be used for and that a supermarket who alot of people will appreciate is not good enough.

If you had put in a bid, over or equal to the winning bid that Tesco put in at auction then you would have a genuine issue. But you havent.

If you want to save historic buildings from being used for business that you deem suitable then get off your backside & do something about it.

Get a consortium together and buy the old post office building or the old court house before someone turns it into a supermarket or whatever other business you feel doesnt suit the city aesthetically in your opinion.

I would rather have a business in Sheffield that is generating jobs & revenue than an empty building that gets so dilapidated that it need to be torn down anyway. Jessops being a good example.

Edited by Clown Shoes