Sports/traditional karate sparring

I've concentrated on Go Ju ryu for several years now, but do miss sparring as the club I've trained with are ultra traditional ie. kata, bunkai, ergo no actual fighting . My karate is an eclectic combination of all sorts but mainly shukokai and Go ju ryu.

Does anyone know of a karate club I could guest at to do a bit of sparring ? I'd be willing to pay for membership and insurance cover etc.

I must be a bit choosy 'cos I've never really found a club that achieves a healthy balance in the various aspects of karate, they're either all sparring and fighting or kata focussed. It's actually sparring with a sporty emphasis I want so that rules out Go ju. I actually still train at a traditional club.

Cheers

Our club at Hillsborough Leisure Centre is traditional shukokai, it is run by 8th Dan Sensei Barry Nash. We always have a good combination of kihon, one step, pad work, sparring and kata in our classes. They are wednesdays and fridays, 6:15 - 7:45pm and we would be pleased to meet you. You can find info here http://www.hrkg.org.uk/

Cheers Danny thanks for the reply. Very kind of you

What about Kickboxing ? maybe not exactly what your looking for but i'm sure there's plenty of sparring to be had if thats what you want.

hi Ben thanks for the reply. It's a possibility but although it's good for fighting etc it will change my karate sparring, I do agree that it would be brilliant for conditioning. I may take up Danny's offer. It is a long shot that any club would just agree for someone just to come in for the sparring, it has implications for insurance etc.

cheers

Just out of curiosity which Gojuryu club do you train at ?

have a look at sheffield kick shotokan on facebook, one on one tuition by one of sheffields finest karateka a former british team member & champion ,classes tailord to suite wotever you want.

Don't train in Go-Ju any more. Not trained in Go Ju for 12 months prior to that trained at a club in Hoyland Barnsley for 3 years. First started in Go Ju with John Boyle Manchester and from 1986 onwards with Blaise Melise at Christchurch Pitsmoor, before the club moved to to Swallownest. Started with the EgKa then James Rousseau and the GKI.

Have had brief spells with Andy Barker. My main style has been Shukokai and has been divided between the SKU and SSKU.

Shotokan for 4 years and Wa-Do ryu between 1973 -1978.

I trained in Freestyle Sport Karate with Craig Burke for 4 years.

I'm a real hybrid. Throw in aikido, Lau Gar and Ju jitsu (briefly).

How about yourself Ben ?

Wow, maybe I should of started with where havent you trained lol.

Ive trained with the EGKA/IOGKF at Norton Dojo for around 4 or 5 years. I now currently train with TOGKA at the Burton Street Dojo, i've been there about a year.

I've also done kickboxing, Kapap and small amount BJJ

If you fancy coming down to train with the TOGKA i'm sure you would be more than welcome. It's a top club with a top Sensei.

We do some sparring however maybe not the sport variety your after.

http://www.sheffieldgojuryu.co.uk/index.html

New Karate club!

Makoto Karate Club

EVERYBODY WELCOME!

Every Thursday 6.30-7.30 and 7.30-8.30

FIRST LESSON FREE

2nd Dan Instructor

Wadsley Church Hall

Worral Road

S6 4BB

If you have any questions please get in contact.

Contact details:

or

or

[email protected]

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!