Are there more planes going over Sheffield?

Is anyone else noting constant rumbling from planes? Is this new, or is it just that now I've noticed it, I'm paying attention?

Seems that every few minutes a plane rumbles loudly over Sheffield at the moment.....

Is anyone else noting constant rumbling from planes? Is this new, or is it just that now I've noticed it, I'm paying attention?

Seems that every few minutes a plane rumbles loudly over Sheffield at the moment.....

Probably from Doncaster.

It is currently the peak season

See for yourself.

https://www.flightradar24.com

I was going to suggest the same myself, only I've got the app on my phone instead of using the website, which gives extra info. I have to say that working from home 2 days a week (where I have relative peace and quiet) I have definitely noticed an increase in noise over the last few months or so, though it's not particularly intrusive. Mostly the planes you hear (in west S10 at least) are Manchester planes taking off and heading east, as we're only about 10 mins flight time from Man airport takeoffs, at which point the planes are only 15k feet approx and climbing, and still on nearly full thrust. The A380s heading to Dubai and Abu Dhabi which take off about 9am or so are definitely the most audible, and I think there's another Dubai flight about 4pm or so as well which is quite obvious. Having said that, take off paths vary according to the prevailing wind direction and also to prevent local residents getting inundated week in week out, so you don't hear them every day.

I just think it's fascinating whenever I hear a plane overhead to be able to click on the map and see where it's come from and where it's heading. There are also some quite interesting flight stats from around the North See Oilfields as you can see all the helicopters. Also worth checking out is western Brazil and Peru with the 'Project Loon' balloons which provide an internet service to the remote Amazon areas, not to mention just how busy the skies are around the world's major airports.

That'll be South Yorkshire Police in their helicopter, perving on the residents in South Yorkshire ensuring that everyone is safe in their home ;)

Try this one. Shows military flights and business jets as well. Click on Global Radar View.https://global.adsbexchange.com

Try this one. Shows military flights and business jets as well. Click on Global Radar View.https://global.adsbexchange.com

Flight radar also shows some military aircraft and business aircraft.

Flight radar also shows some military aircraft and business aircraft.

I beg to differ. No military at all and details of business aircraft is blocked most of the time on FR24.

Probably from Doncaster.

It is currently the peak season

Doncaster has been getting increasingly busy the last two years. We have seen a lot of planes flying close to our house this year, significantly more than last year. We can see planes turning round to land or see them take off. If the wind is in the right direction we can hear the engines building up speed for take off.

By road we are twenty minutes, fourteen miles from the airport but as the crow flies, 'scuse the pun, much closer. Sometimes I have looked at the flight arrivals as planes didn't used to take of and land as frequently as they do now so early and so late.

We do see quite a lot of flights much higher up but I rarely check the flight details of those.