Tennant brothers exchange brewery

Was Eric Wilson a chap who was in a wheelchair? apologies if not but the name reminded me of someone who worked in the bottling office in the 1960s

I worked as a contractor at Whitbread's, Lady's Bridge mid-'70s/ early '80s. I worked for Roy Allott and his assistant Peter Morfitt. Recall Fred Layton, (lived in Dronfield I think). Martin the electrician who had a Volvo, Steve Wilson, dad ran the Devonshire on Herries Road. An 'engineer' who went on to work at Bassett's, Alan Ford ? The painters. brothers Ronnie and Pete Norie with Hedley Kelsey and Brian Buxton. In the bottling hall, Engineers shop : Don Bryan, Eric who's dad ran the Wincobank Hotel. Also, Winnie Matthews, John Higgins (RIP those two), Jim McKenna, who moved to brewery site near Preston. Tommy Taylor and his brother-in-law Bruce and more, who's names I don't remember

Edited by stpetre
add

I remember working on the loading bay in about 1965 with a team of ladies who assembled the dray loads, the superviser lady was called Ivy Strutt.

The "girls" were really tough when lifting cases of pint bottles and quarts of cider all in wooden crates before plastics came along.

In the office we had Les Garforth, Jack Ford, Horace Barlow who were the foremen.

Upstairs were Harry and Sammy Rudge who ran Transport as Foremen.

stpetre

Thanks for Winnie and John's names. I'm starting to go through some old photos so I can give them to the Breweries History Society, and was trying to remember everyone there during the last few years when I was there

Cheers

Dick

Hi I have found a 1 pint brown glass beer bottle with Tennants   written in raised letters on the side times two,  and it has its original   screw top with the following written  on it. 
Tennants Bro Ltd. Sheffield around its outer ring.

and Exchange  W Brewery 1928 in its centre area.

will this be the beers selling year as I have read that the Brewary opened  up in 1840 - 1860 circa so I think that rules out the opening year! 
regards Paul Pawson.

On 03/03/2024 at 16:58, Pawson said:

Hi I have found a 1 pint brown glass beer bottle with Tennants   written in raised letters on the side times two,  and it has its original   screw top with the following written  on it. 
Tennants Bro Ltd. Sheffield around its outer ring.

and Exchange  W Brewery 1928 in its centre area.

will this be the beers selling year as I have read that the Brewary opened  up in 1840 - 1860 circa so I think that rules out the opening year! 
regards Paul Pawson.

I have a few Tennants bottles, although tbh I know little about them. Having done a bit of digging it seems the screw top didn't come into use until late Victorian times. Judging by their advertisements in the Sheffield press, 1898 was the first year they advertised as offering bottled beer. Apparently the kind of moulding marks and lines can help date it, perhaps the 28 does, but I can't say. 

Perhaps this site may help. 

https://www.britishbottleforum.co.uk/webpage/

The old brewery is up for sale under  Commercial Property section on the Rightmove website. 

Was that the brewery that was near Ladys  bridge on the Wicker : I used to love the smell of it when I came into town .

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, martin441 said:

Was that the brewery that was near Ladys  bridge on the Wicker : I used to love the smell of it when I came into town .

Yes it was and Duncan Gilmour's brewery was on the other side of Bridge Street nearer to Snig Hill.

Edited by St Petre
add

Tennants super was a nice drink