68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

Yes I heard Jeremy Hunt saying they are going invest in m.h. nurses, however since 2010 there are 6.5 thousand fewer mental health nurses...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39836506

:huh:

What this government promises, and what it actually does, often bear no relation to each other.

I'll believe it when it happens...

Yes I heard Jeremy Hunt saying they are going invest in m.h. nurses, however since 2010 there are 6.5 thousand fewer mental health nurses...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39836506

:huh:

And a nurse is is just a nurse and earns peanuts. Cheap solution.

If it had been the will of government homelessness would have been solved before either of us were born - dodgy taxes or not (and labours history on corporate tax avoidance isn't stellar either - for balance) - if that's even possible. A fair chunk of homeless people have pretty severe mental illness, drug abuse issues etc etc - unless you are going to lock them all up, they will end on the street at some point.

I wasn't praising Labour, but they generally at least don't spend their time demonising and attacking the poor in society in order to make life easier for the corporations. They're financially inept, and just as authoritarian as the conservatives, I disagree with a lot of what they did and would like to do, but attacking the poor and disabled relentlessly whilst waging a campaign of disinformation, that's a conservative trait.

According to tonight's news there are now 68,000 homeless in Britain, a huge increase on previous figures.

...What is wrong with this country...?

As the weather gets colder, no news about our countries growing problem.

Just Googling the numbers

Manchester, rough sleepers - 2013 > 70

2016 > 189

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/number-people-sleeping-rough-greater-12504539

I understand that councils count rough sleepers, but how hard is that, I am sure that they try to get somewhere undercover and out of sight.

I am not scapegoating migrants. I am using common sense and simple maths.

If there is a housing crisis and we need to build over 300,000 homes over the next 10 years to keep up with demand. Why would we allow 500,000 people into the country each year?

And, we dont have enough schools, hospital beds, public resources, police, prisons, energy resources, waste management....our country is crumbling under the pressure to keep up with our population explosion.

What is this constant aim to increase the population of this country? We are a tiny island with over 3 times the population of Australia.

Do the maths.....they dont add up.

And im sick of people talking about migrants doing the jobs other dont want to do. If you stop letting in people by the millions then we only require so many jobs.

Again.....SIMPLE MATHS :roll:

Because a lot of migrants are skilled and are able to pay their own way. Why should the failures of society be given housing on a plate.

I find it funny how people assume housing as an entitlement. If you don’t work enough to put a roof over your own head then stay at home. Go complain elsewhere, I would rather my tax money be spent on other things than give people what I earned. Life is unfair, deal with it.

If you had any idea how the demographics of this country’s population works, then you’ll know that it isn’t the population as a whole that’s the problem we are facing. It’s the fact we have an accelerating aging population. We need the population to grow to increase the younger demographic.

Because a lot of migrants are skilled and are able to pay their own way. Why should the failures of society be given housing on a plate.

I find it funny how people assume housing as an entitlement. If you don’t work enough to put a roof over your own head then stay at home. Go complain elsewhere, I would rather my tax money be spent on other things than give people what I earned. Life is unfair, deal with it.

If you had any idea how the demographics of this country’s population works, then you’ll know that it isn’t the population as a whole that’s the problem we are facing. It’s the fact we have an accelerating aging population. We need the population to grow to increase the younger demographic.

Absolutely spot on.

Quote ez8004: We need the population to grow to increase the younger demographic.

What happens when the ‘younger demographic’ grows old? Do we then import more younger folk, bearing in mind that life expectancy is increasing? Where does it end? Every green field built on so that we cannot feed the nation? Every road gridlocked? Your logic is flawed. The biggest problem this world has is burgeoning population putting too much pressure on the earth’s resources.

What happens when the ‘younger demographic’ grows old? Do we then import more younger folk, bearing in mind that life expectancy is increasing? Where does it end? Every green field built on so that we cannot feed the nation? Every road gridlocked? Your logic is flawed. The biggest problem this world has is burgeoning population putting too much pressure on the earth’s resources.

Yeah. Prince William just told that to the whole world, while he continues to keep puting the missus in the club.

Even David Attenborough says our biggest threat is a rising population.

https://futurism.com/david-attenborough-if-we-dont-limit-our-population-growth-the-natural-world-will/

Edited by area 51

Your entire argument is completely idiotic because you have no idea what the status is with regards to the world population.

Go look up the term “peak child”. Go educate yourself instead of spouting nonsense. Do you genuinely think that life expectancy is just going to climb forever? It is already plateauing. There is a very definitive limit to what the world population can be. Also, do you have ANY idea where the largest increase in population is going to be? Let me start you off, it isn’t Europe or North America. In fact, the overall European population is forecast to be static till 2100.

What a cretinous post.

Lots of people who you call 'failures,' have already contributed to the nations wealth. Though some, through a variety of reasons can't.

Yes life is unfair, and the tone you take suggest that's how you like it. Well God help you if you become disabled & need care.

Government's role, in my opinion, should not exacerbate unfairness, but seek to make society more civilised.

There is nothing funny about this. I'm not sure it's a' sense of entitlement' that is motivating people, but even you have to admit that a roof over your head is a necessary, basic essential in life. When even the lowest rents exceed earnings, you are going to have a problem.

Do you consider public and essential workers in London as 'failures?' Many of them cannot afford to live in or near London on their earnings. Yes, they can move elsewhere, but who, then, is going to provide the essential services for Londoners? Do you see we have a problem?

This problem (low wages / high rents) is now permeating all areas of the country. You're right, it's not fair, but is not the fault of immigrants or the elderly. When you have lots of people in need of affordable homes; a ready supply of empty flats and houses; and unaffordable rents, then market forces are not working. Then what is needed is government intervention and rent control.