Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

Hi, I just picked up this thread. I went to Springfield school in the 50's and 60's moving to Tapton in 1964. I lived in Milton Street, in the same yard as my cousins the Holmes family, someone mentioned Bob and Dave. I was also in the cubs and scouts at St Silas. I was christened at the church by the Rev Haythornthwaite.

Friends around the area were Graham Leary who went later to Greystones school, and Paul Slingsby who went on to Waltheof. Where are they now I wonder?

Amazing place to grow up, happy days. If anyone remembers me, Paul Dale, love to hear.

Hi Paul

I guess we must have just missed each other as I was also cristened by Rev Haythornthwaite and went to Springfield, as well as St silas cubs and Scouts. I was at the school from 1955 to 1962. However I don't remember your name. I wrote a while back about some of the people that I knew so if you take a look back on this tread you might have known them as well. By the way, I'm David Tunley.

All this talk of St Silas cubs, does anyone remember when Joy Senior was Akela?

Highnote,

I certainly have many happy memories of Joy Senior who lead the cubs while I was there, and she lived on Upper Hanover st which was quite close to Aberdeen Street where I lived. When I moved up to the scouts the leaders there were Ron Jones, "Mac" Macdonald and Ken? Horsfied.

Hi David

You must have been 2 years above me, I left Springfield in 64 to go to Tapton. I remember Akela of course but not her real name. The scout leader was called 'Skipper' who worked for a cardboard company. Every summer we alternated camp between Fraisthorpe near Bridlington and North Wales, travelling in the back of his van. Wouldn't be allowed now! A senior scout who helped run the troop was Ray Goodlad, who I think lived up Gleadless. I played snare drum in the scout band, St Georges day parade was always a treat. I left the scouts around 65/66 as the pubs in Sheffield and the Top Rank on Tuesday nights were becoming more exciting!

hiya, i don't think so as terry had an older brother, terry lived on bath street next door to the deardons at one side and old mr hancock who was a rabbit breeder of note at the time at the other, dougie ridge lived a few doors away at the top of thomas lane, barry piercy lived on headford st, mike farmer lived in thomas st, tony ball lived on egerton st round the bottom of dean lane, derek walker lived down clarence st, and david baldwin lived on broomhall st just a spit away from our school.

while at school did any of you after 1950 ish ever see the coal fossils ,there were leaves and such imprinted in small pieces of coal the story was that when he was 16

Arnold(Arnie)Highfield found them at the mine he had started work at. and took them to the school for the pupils to see.

Hi just picked up thread. I lived on Hodgson Street but went to Springfield School 1947/56 Michael Farmer, Cyril Haymen and Terry Siddons were part of my group of friends and we had a great time together. Sad to say Cyril passed away last month (small world-he married my Husbands cousin so kept in touch with him despite having moved to Leicestershire on marrying in 1964) Remember vividly first day at school when Miss Tate, along with her hair tight in a very tight bun, was so kind to me while I was holding on tightly to Mum's hand and yelling my head off. Also remember Miss Hall and Miss Lusby (later Mrs Parrish) Mr Kinman was Headmaster early on but Mr Holdsworth came along later and recommended me for a newly opening Commercial College at Woodseats and I have him to thank for a long,happy and successful career at a Secretary and Recruitment Officer with a big textile company in Coventry Happy days

springfield rd school 1957 8 9

hiya,just found a thread and photo's showing pupils from 1947. there are one or two i remember althow i am around 4 years younger one name is joy senior harland seniors sister, there is denis bartholomew, brian humphries dick sterling,amongst others,

i just tapped in springfield school class photographs 1947.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 19:10 ----------

highnote hello since i last made contact with you i have found a few more photo's on web, thought i would mention to you there are one or two faces i remember but one will be of interest to you as your sister joy is on it. i typed in springfield school pupil photographs 1947.

Edited by willybite

Hi just picked up thread. I lived on Hodgson Street but went to Springfield School 1947/56 Michael Farmer, Cyril Haymen and Terry Siddons were part of my group of friends and we had a great time together. Sad to say Cyril passed away last month (small world-he married my Husbands cousin so kept in touch with him despite having moved to Leicestershire on marrying in 1964) Remember vividly first day at school when Miss Tate, along with her hair tight in a very tight bun, was so kind to me while I was holding on tightly to Mum's hand and yelling my head off. Also remember Miss Hall and Miss Lusby (later Mrs Parrish) Mr Kinman was Headmaster early on but Mr Holdsworth came along later and recommended me for a newly opening Commercial College at Woodseats and I have him to thank for a long,happy and successful career at a Secretary and Recruitment Officer with a big textile company in Coventry Happy days

hiya springfieldi, is this right hope so,well i have been trying to find the football team photo to pass its location to michael farmer who i found on facebook, michael i've known all his life the way i found him was very strange when i saw his photo he had altered but still had the same smile, anyway back to the photo of michael,cyril hayman,dougie ridge.barry piercy,etc have you any idea where to find it on a website, many thanks. i went to springfield school but i'm 4 years older than you, will pass on this letter to michael

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 09:17 ----------

hiya highnote, just this morning i have been looking at school photo's and your sister was in the group i didn't know joy as she wa 3 years olders older than me but i did remember one or two others perhaps you can help me, a photo donated by maureen brown nee flood, of the school football team around 1950, it was of michael farmer, barry piercy,terry siddons.dougie ridge,horace parker etc

Edited by willybite

I Parked my car in Wellington St yesterday and walked to Bramall Lane (not for the Football) so I thought I would take a bit of a detour and bore my wife with the sights of my childhood, or those that are left.

At the end of Wellington Street was where Graham Wathen lived. Past Milton Street where Richard Saunderson used to live. Then up Fitzwilliam Street to the old school. Pleased to say that it looks pretty much the same, with the exception of the "playground" next to it. John Ward lived across the road on Cavendish Street, and round the corner on Boston Street was where Miss Watson, my piano teacher, tried in vain to force some music into me. Obviously the houses opposite the school are no longer there, and the sweetshop was sadly missing.

At the top of Fitzwilliam Street, on Convent Walk, was where Rosalind Proctor, my first girlfriend lived. We were only 4 at the time so it's safe to assume that her taste in boys was pretty poor. I was in the cubs with her brother, Jonathan, and we spent many happy days bob-a-jobbing

Up Broomspring Lane and across the main road to where Steve Marshall used to live, and near to John Crookes' house on Filey Street. The old Hanover Methodist church building has gone and been replaced by a "modern" version.

Down Hanover street and passed the house of Joy Senior who was our cub mistress, then past the off licence where Joy Laxen lived. Almost next door was the St Silas church hall which was used to the Scout and Cub meetings. I seem to remember that the caretaker was Ron Wilson. Opposite was the Doctor's on Clarke Street. In those days I didn't go as often as I do now so I can't remember his name.

St. Silas church is still there but looking a bit sorry for itself. The clergy during my time there were Derek Hayward, Hugh Buckingham and Martin Phillips.

Down William Street to the Star pictures, and over the road to the Saspirella shop which have all now gone.

Hopefully some of those names and places might have triggered some memories. Please accept my apologies if this is a bit rambling, and especially if my memory has started to fail me after all these years.

Would love to hear any other memories of the area, and what happened to any of the people.

Hi

I was interested in your post because it brought back many memories and included me! Joy Laxen :)

Regards

Joy

Hi

I was interested in your post because it brought back many memories and included me! Joy Laxen :)

Regards

Joy

I've just reread this post about the church, walked past it a few weeks ago it now flats shame but at least it has been renovated and not falling into ruin

Hi, just discovered this site, probably off thread but I lived on Upper Hanover street next to the Co-op and opposite the Laxen's off licence and the post office in the mid /late fifties to about 1962 when, as an 8 year old I moved away. I remember it as almost village like, quiet and a bit faded and really nice people.

[/color]

Hi, just discovered this site, probably off thread but I lived on Upper Hanover street next to the Co-op and opposite the Laxen's off licence and the post office in the mid /late fifties to about 1962 when, as an 8 year old I moved away. I remember it as almost village like, quiet and a bit faded and really nice people.

Hello Mickeyr

I remember the co-op and the houses by it.One of my father's friends lived

there but I cannot remember his name. I shall ask my mother - 95 and still going strong with an amazing memory!

I don't remember the area as quiet? The Upper Hanover Street I remember was a busy main road. Do you remember "Brown's" shop - a general store next door to the off license and "Pinders" - a very good bakery shop. Both Brown's and Pinder's had massive built in bread ovens in the back rooms of their shops. Further down on your side of the road was a big laundry.

I remember that the post office was reported as burgled twice when I lived on Upper Hanover Street. On one occasion the burglar had broken into the empty flat above the post office, made a hole in the floor , lowered a plank so that he could get down in to the post office. He got caught because he couldn't get back up his plank. On the other occasion I remember vaguely that the post office manager faked a break in and tied himself up!

Edited by pjo77