Council garage plots

has anyone been affected by council garage plot refurbishments/Got a letter early feb saying my garage would be demolished.only problem is that the council don,t own the garage as it,s mine.letter came last week giving me four weeks notice that i had to give up my plot and my garage would be knocked down.I contacted council only to be told that they will not pay compensation for my garage.

I have found out that they intend to spend thousands of pounds flattening garage,removing undergrowth and laying hardcore on a strip of land about 250 m long??

what a waste of money!

Are you getting a new built garage after? I can't see if you own the unit how they can legally serve you notice

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-to-knock-down-unsafe-garages-1-8334189

Is it one of these?

Not sure if this would come under compulsory purchase? Do you definitely own the garage and the land it sits on? The council may own the land even if you own the garage (leasehold)?

I would ask for this to be moved to the property board as you might get better responses on there. You could also seek legal advice.

It,s not one of the garages the star reported on,most of them are disused and unsafe.I can see why they want to pull these down but i rent a plot of land on elstree road where there used to be old tin garages but these have long gone.I asked if i could erect a sectional garage on site and was told that they had no problem with that.

They plan to make parking spots for local tenants but as most of people near me have driveways or park outside their homes.

You don't own the land you rent it. I suspect, but I think you need further advice, is that yes they could take down the garage however they would need to give the garage back to you. They would of course need to take reasonable care of the garage and not damage it. I guessing concrete sectional garage? Not sure how easy it would be to take down. If they can't take it down without damaging it then they should compensate you.

But what use is a garage if you have no where to put it. Not sure whether you could get compensation for the fact you can no longer have a garage there and you have paid for one which potentially you can't erect else where.

I would seek proper advice on this.

BTW who told you that you could erect a garage there? Was it the council and do you have proof?

Most likely the garage was built on land which OP does own. But verify ownership asap.

If OP owns the garage's site-land, whether as freeholder or leaseholder, the Council cannot demolish it unless:

a. it's leasehold and the lease says that they can; or

b. they declare a CPO, acquire it first, and demolish it second.

"i rent a plot of land on elstree road"

You need to talk to a lawyer, but I imagine that if you are renting the land then you can remove the building at your own cost and keep it or the council will demolish it on the day stated but it will be rubble. There may be other options hence talk to a lawyer.