Gold label down again

just saw the post about thought on Fray Bentos and it reminded me about something a lot more serious-- noticed at Christmas that "Whitbreads"

GOLD LABEL NOW IS ONLY 7.5% avb----this must have slipped in recently as I have had some in the past year at 8.5%

in the good old days when I believe it was 13.5% it is only just a shandy in relative strength terms----criminal adulteration----cheers

used to be the drink of choice when I was a lad and skint. Could be bought for 20p a bottle. This was the 70's mind :) Pretty much out of it for a quid happy days. I seem to remember that it was advertised then as having the same strength as a double scotch

gold label from most places cost£1.45 a can---330ml-now

in 1981-it was 50p in a pub for the 1/3of a pint bottle

and it was made in Sheffield.

Yes it was at Lady'sbridge, you could get it on draught in the pub before I left Sheffield, which I liked because I didn't like Trophy bitter. Cans of Gold Label were the only thing I drank at home,except for my homebrew. Wish you could get it where I live now, even if the alc .content is lower

I used to love Gold Label Barley Wine in the early 90s. I knew the strength used to be higher back then but I thought it was 11.5%?

Grinning now as I remember the wording on those small cans 'Very Strong Special Beer' which was so enticing back in the day! Mind you it did actually taste nice.

I do remember when it was sold in pubs in those strange size little bottles which I suppose haven't been available in a pub for years now.

I used to love Gold Label Barley Wine in the early 90s. I knew the strength used to be higher back then but I thought it was 11.5%?

Grinning now as I remember the wording on those small cans 'Very Strong Special Beer' which was so enticing back in the day! Mind you it did actually taste nice.

I do remember when it was sold in pubs in those strange size little bottles which I suppose haven't been available in a pub for years now.

As 'Tennant's Barley Wine' was sold in their pubs, I seem to recall a similar brew called "Old Ale" in Stones' houses, thought it might be a 'John Smith's' product but not in a Stones' pub tho'.

I remember having five bottles of it when I was seventeen and staggering home,it was a lot stronger than beer as I soon realised.

As 'Tennant's Barley Wine' was sold in their pubs, I seem to recall a similar brew called "Old Ale" in Stones' houses, thought it might be a 'John Smith's' product but not in a Stones' pub tho'.

Most breweries had their own version of barley wine, can only remember Triple A, think it could have been Tetley's or John Smith's. I think it was at the Blue Bell on High Street where I saw it, maybe, maybe not LOL

Most breweries had their own version of barley wine, can only remember Triple A, think it could have been Tetley's or John Smith's...
Yes, Triple A was Tetley's. The John Smiths equivalent was Magnet Old Ale, darker in colour.

Most breweries had their own version of barley wine, can only remember Triple A, think it could have been Tetley's or John Smith's. I think it was at the Blue Bell on High Street where I saw it, maybe, maybe not LOL

I think the 'Old Blue Bell' on High Street was a John Smith's place, the draught beer anyway.