Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Why is the Football coverage so rubbish in England?

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic

01-01-2011, 21:57   #1
not wanted

Total Posts: 2,004
Radio 5 is almost unlistenable, Talksport commentators seem to be more interested in telling us that SKY have several HD channels rather than what is going off in the game, ITV really should just give up on sport altogether and stick to pop shows and praise the lord (other deities are available) for the fast forward button on MoTD.
_______
This old world may never change
The way it's been
And all the ways of war
Can't change it back again
01-01-2011, 21:59   #2
CorkerSWFC
Footy Fanatic

Total Posts: 36,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by not wanted View Post
Radio 5 is almost unlistenable, Talksport commentators seem to be more interested in telling us that SKY have several HD channels rather than what is going off in the game, ITV really should just give up on sport altogether and stick to pop shows and praise the lord (other deities are available) for the fast forward button on MoTD.
What pees me off with the BBC and the match of the day is it's so obvious they have watched the game before commentating on it.
Sky and ESPN are the bombay though for 20 odd quid a month it's essential.
_______
There's Only one Ben Wilson !!! Never forgotton
01-01-2011, 22:53   #3
shoreham4eva
Account Closed

Total Posts: 1,212
Give me BBC over ITV and Sky any day, If only for the actual analysis rather than 15 mins of adverts.
01-01-2011, 22:56   #4
CorkerSWFC
Footy Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreham4eva View Post
Give me BBC over ITV and Sky any day, If only for the actual analysis rather than 15 mins of adverts.
Must admit i still can't get my head round them going to a break when the players come out, that's a big part of the game if you think about non hand shakes etc lol.
_______
02-01-2011, 08:48   #5
alankearn

Total Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkerSWFC View Post
What pees me off with the BBC and the match of the day is it's so obvious they have watched the game before commentating on it.
Sky and ESPN are the bombay though for 20 odd quid a month it's essential.

Its worth £20 a month to listen to Jeff Stelling on Saturday afternoons. ESPN is crap I wont be renewing next season, to few top games for the extra £9 a month
02-01-2011, 09:07   #6
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,875
People should think back ( if they are old enough) before sky brought all the money into football the coverage was very poor …… now people are spoiled for choice ….. Sports bars showing 3 or 4 live games all at the same time

European football ............ that used to be the stuff of dreams, if they could get a satellite link, after all satellites were for scientists and weather men weren’t they now I am really showing my age.
02-01-2011, 11:53   #7
CorkerSWFC
Footy Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankearn View Post
Its worth £20 a month to listen to Jeff Stelling on Saturday afternoons. ESPN is crap I wont be renewing next season, to few top games for the extra £9 a month
I get ESPN lobbed in with my sky sports on virgin media m8.
_______
02-02-2018, 21:53   #8
Jim Hardie

Total Posts: 7,025
Anybody else fed up of so called expert summarisers on Sky, usually ex pro footballers, that don't know the laws of the game?

Andy Hinchcliffe tonight in the Bolton v Bristol City match:
"It was completely accidental, yes he clipped his heel but it isn't a foul"

What he should have said:
"He clipped his heel, yes it was completely accidental but it's still a foul"

Perhaps they should sit an exam before they get hired.
Rant over.
02-02-2018, 23:10   #9
stpetre
Account Closed

Total Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkerSWFC View Post
Must admit i still can't get my head round them going to a break when the players come out, that's a big part of the game if you think about non hand shakes etc lol.
Yes and what is it with those kids that come out with the teams ? They look like they're bored to death, doing it under threat and totally uninterested in what should be a highlight in their lives.
03-02-2018, 09:41   #10
Harrystottle

Total Posts: 1,595
Must admit, all this "nicey nicey" stuff before the game is just a pain. Kids, handshakes, daft mascots - it should all be binned.
04-02-2018, 12:54   #11
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,866
How many of the so called experts are failed managers?
04-02-2018, 14:34   #12
iansheff

Total Posts: 6,566
Why do the BBC show the goals from the Scottish Premier on the morning news headlines, how many people in England really care about the Scottish teams and their results?
Also the commentators when they say things like just about onside, a player is either onside or he isn't.

Last edited by iansheff; 04-02-2018 at 14:36.
04-02-2018, 15:56   #13
pintor

Total Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
As long as they 're ex Liverpool or London club nobody gets a look in, except a couple of scots, and what they can tell us about football isn't worth knowing!

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 16:02 ----------

Whilst we're on about it, what's with having a woman player on six nations rugby?, not a sexist commment but it must make Brayfield, Wilkinson & co roll their eyes!
04-02-2018, 17:58   #14
ukdobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintor View Post
As long as they 're ex Liverpool or London club nobody gets a look in, except a couple of scots, and what they can tell us about football isn't worth knowing!

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 16:02 ----------

Whilst we're on about it, what's with having a woman player on six nations rugby?, not a sexist commment but it must make Brayfield, Wilkinson & co roll their eyes!
Ben Sheperd interviewed a women rugby player last week and said I bet you could cut it in the men's game.ok course she could.
Got Rooney on Monday,tips how to pick a slapper up.

Last edited by ukdobby; 04-02-2018 at 18:29.
05-02-2018, 16:12   #15
pintor

Total Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrystottle View Post
Must admit, all this "nicey nicey" stuff before the game is just a pain. Kids, handshakes, daft mascots - it should all be binned.
F1 are going to replace grid girls with grid kids, 20 kids at each race standing on the grid!
11-02-2018, 12:35   #16
ukdobby

United match sky had 2 pundits,Brown and Grayson both failed managers telling us what the team's should do.
12-02-2018, 04:47   #17
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansheff View Post
Why do the BBC show the goals from the Scottish Premier on the morning news headlines, how many people in England really care about the Scottish teams and their results?
Also the commentators when they say things like just about onside, a player is either onside or he isn't.
I would have thought that the BBC reaches Scotland too and that Scottish people like to know how their teams went on as well.

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 23:50 ----------

Quote:
How many of the currently employed managers have been failed managers somewhere else? lol. I think it's quite a few.
12-02-2018, 06:47   #18
ukdobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
I would have thought that the BBC reaches Scotland too and that Scottish people like to know how their teams went on as well.

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 23:50 ----------

How many of the currently employed managers have been failed managers somewhere else? lol. I think it's quite a few.
I've mentioned a few times football is one of the few industries where failure is rewarded,running Carillions another.
12-02-2018, 16:08   #19
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 1,089
Quote:
I've mentioned a few times football is one of the few industries where failure is rewarded,running Carillions another.
All North American sports reward failure, the lower you finish in your league gets you the cream of the young and upcoming future stars in the following years 'draft'. Two of the last 3 World Series(baseball) winners did that for 5 years prior to their wins and finished up with fantastic teams with a few free agent add-ons. Teams often do this deliberately if they know they can't contend in any given year. Not much fun for the fans when they do this because it doesn't always work out in the end.
03-03-2018, 14:19   #20
ukdobby

Carragher commentating on today's game,what a load of tosh does he talk,him and Neville in room 101.
Reply To Topic