Wilf Green Ltd, Halfway

I recently strolled down Main Rooad at Ridgeway, and on the left side of the road are some long neglected (why) allotments, atween the Queens and Swan battle cruisers (boozers). In passing I saw a flash of white through the hawthorn trees with some writing upon it. Me, being a nosey sod I wanted to know what it was (is). Not being able to read all the lettering because of the dense hedge, I decided to go into the run down allotments to take a proper pike to cure my curiosity. What I found was an old trailer with it's tyres surprisingly still inflated, and the writing on the trailer was :-

SIMSON

Wilf Green Ltd

MZ House

New St.

Halfway Tel-Sheffield 488500

The other bit of writing on it was (is) - Motorcycles On The Move.

I presume the trailer was used as a garden shed. Do any of you know about Wilf Green Ltd and it's history?

I recently strolled down Main Rooad at Ridgeway, and on the left side of the road are some long neglected (why) allotments, atween the Queens and Swan battle cruisers (boozers). In passing I saw a flash of white through the hawthorn trees with some writing upon it. Me, being a nosey sod I wanted to know what it was (is). Not being able to read all the lettering because of the dense hedge, I decided to go into the run down allotments to take a proper pike to cure my curiosity. What I found was an old trailer with it's tyres surprisingly still inflated, and the writing on the trailer was :-

SIMSON

Wilf Green Ltd

MZ House

New St.

Halfway Tel-Sheffield 488500

The other bit of writing on it was (is) - Motorcycles On The Move.

I presume the trailer was used as a garden shed. Do any of you know about Wilf Green Ltd and it's history?

Wilf Green Motor Cycles, used to be on Abbeydale Rd, I think they moved out to Beighton mid 70's.

He started out on Abbeydale Road, dealing in mainly british bikes for around 20 years. He started selling some East German imports in the 60's and became the importer for MZ motorcycles in the UK from the early 70's on.

He moved the business out to a new unit at Holbrook in the 80's, remaining there until the mid 90's.

zakes

do you know if this trailer is still there/ id like to photograph it for the MZ riders mag?

please contact me on [email protected]

I used to work at wilf greens from 1987 to 1989 near mosborough I got sacked lol

Wilf was a great bloke, he knew more about motorbikes than anyone I have ever known. I used his shop on Abbeydale Road all the time in the 60's. I remember him diagnosing engine problems by listening from the upstairs parts department window and he was always right. They delivered bikes on a sidecar outfit, flat platform, I think it was the same one used for his grass track bikes.

When he imported MZ's he had a place on Queens Road.

Here is a link to a picture of that one.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u06968&prevUrl=

He started out on Abbeydale Road, dealing in mainly british bikes for around 20 years. .

I bought my first "BIG" bike from there around 1965-66 after passing my test.It was a (green).1958 BSA.B31,350cc..for £69.00.Wish I still had it now :(:(:(

Wilf was a great bloke, he knew more about motorbikes than anyone I have ever known. I used his shop on Abbeydale Road all the time in the 60's. I remember him diagnosing engine problems by listening from the upstairs parts department window and he was always right. They delivered bikes on a sidecar outfit, flat platform, I think it was the same one used for his grass track bikes.

When he imported MZ's he had a place on Queens Road.

Here is a link to a picture of that one.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u06968&prevUrl=

thanks for that..trying to get stuff together for article in MZ riders magazine..can I use this quote from you??

thanks for that..trying to get stuff together for article in MZ riders magazine..can I use this quote from you??

Do people still rife mz's ???

of course..they are built to last!! google them or look on facebook. very active club and local branches.great local connection with wilf green.

No problem.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 00:14 ----------

After the demise of British bikes the only decent bike I had was an MZ, I did try one Japanese bike but thought it was rubbish, built out of monkey metal and no fun to ride.

Bought my Rocket Gold Star from Wilf Green about 1968. I found this You Tube - a doco on Royal Enfield (runs for 1/2 hour or so) which features Wilf, shows what an interesting character he is.