Advice on living in Hillsborough

Currently looking at buying a house in Sheffield and we've seen a few we like in the Hillsborough Park area. I know nothing about this part of Sheffield and wondered if anyone could shed any light on what it's like, are there any nice pubs/restaurants/local independent shops that are any good. Also is is noisy/safe at night etc etc?

Thanks

You've get everything you could possibly want.

Cheers S6

Currently looking at buying a house in Sheffield and we've seen a few we like in the Hillsborough Park area. I know nothing about this part of Sheffield and wondered if anyone could shed any light on what it's like, are there any nice pubs/restaurants/local independent shops that are any good. Also is is noisy/safe at night etc etc?

Thanks

Hillsborough has been a good place to live for us in the past 10 years. The area around the park is nice enough and the park itself is great to have on the doorstep.

Shopping wise we are getting a better selection, especially with Kilner Way and Sainsbury's opening recently. Hillsborough shopping centre is OK, nothing special really, but it has some nice coffee shops and plenty of low cost stores.

Pubs - there are a few that are worth trying, mainly away from the main drag towards Wadsley. The ones in Hillsborough itself are not worth the hassle.

Restaurants - hearing good things about the Two States (South Indian), but to be fair, for us when we want to go out, it is usually a case of hopping on a tram and going to the city which only takes 15 minutes or so and you are right in the thick of it.

All in all, if Hillsborough fits your budget/needs - go ahead, it is a good enough place to live. Be aware that we have had a bit more crime in recent years, so locking doors at night is a definite.

You've get everything you could possibly want.

Cheers S6

Pretty much yes.

A downside is parking.

We've lived fairly near Hillsborough park for almost 12 years. As tzijlstra says, it's got plenty to offer. Fortunately, our road doesn't have many parking problems except on match days, but that's a minor issue. Being on the tram route was one of our reasons for choosing the area.

One of those places that should be nicer than it is. Decent housing stock, good transport links and big shopping street but...all a bit scruffy with quite high levels of deprivation and crime. It's better than lots of the north and east of the city but still not where I'd choose.

realy?

where are those high levels of deprivation and crime in hillsborough?

never spotted them.

It's maybe the fact it's the town centre for the bits of North Sheffield that have higher levels of deprivation. A lot of people visit Hillsbro for shopping, drinking and leisure who live in less affluent areas not far away. I'm mostly the opposite - I live nearby but go to other areas for most things.

One of those places that should be nicer than it is. Decent housing stock, good transport links and big shopping street but...all a bit scruffy with quite high levels of deprivation and crime. It's better than lots of the north and east of the city but still not where I'd choose.

Are you sure you are speaking about Hillsborough ?

We have lived in Hillsborough for over 30 years and I know for a fact that it has a high population of hard working ,professional people and if our road is anything to go by it's attracting even more professionals !

It's maybe the fact it's the town centre for the bits of North Sheffield that have higher levels of deprivation. A lot of people visit Hillsbro for shopping, drinking and leisure who live in less affluent areas not far away. I'm mostly the opposite - I live nearby but go to other areas for most things.

Hmmmm I have lived in the "north of sheffield" all my life and would invite you to come and show me the high level of deprivation that you talk about …. I often work away from home for long periods of time and yet my home has Never been broken into or damaged , my vehicle is often left unattended for weeks yet according to my cctv is still sat on my drive , and my children play outdoors without fear of being assaulted or robbed …… you sir are talking out of your backside !!

Hmmmm I have lived in the "north of sheffield" all my life and would invite you to come and show me the high level of deprivation that you talk about …. I often work away from home for long periods of time and yet my home has Never been broken into or damaged , my vehicle is often left unattended for weeks yet according to my cctv is still sat on my drive , and my children play outdoors without fear of being assaulted or robbed …… you sir are talking out of your backside !!

If that's you in the picture dale1966, then that could possibly explain a lot. Good deterant for crime, being built like a brick crap house! :hihi:

Thanks

I've lived in lower Walkley and now Wadsley, so Hillsborough has for the past 15 years been the closest area with shops, pubs, etc...

To actually answer your questions, there are a few reasonable restaurants, but I've only eaten out in Hillsborough when I had no other options really.

There are no nice pubs IMO. In Hillsborough centre the pubs are rough.

Not sure what kind of independent shops you're looking for, there are some, but you'll be buying a carpet or perhaps a new fireplace.

The shopping is okay for essentials or household items, and there are plenty of supermarkets nearby, but if you want clothing or to browse then you'll need to go into town.

That said, it's a great area to live, the tram link is very convenient, town isn't far away, a taxi home is cheap, commuting to the city centre is very easy, there's several large parks and you're only a few minutes away from the peak district.

---------- Post added 22-12-2016 at 09:57 ----------

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

He's absolutely correct, zoom in on Parsons cross, it's at the highest level of social deprivation the scale goes to.

It's more of a North West thing IMO though, the north east has areas with the same deprivation level as Dore, (being the lowest level), such as Worral, Wadsley and Loxley.

Hillsborough centre itself has a middle level of deprivation.

Edited by Cyclone

Got the chance to move into Taplin Rad, a little further up from the shops, where the roads kinks round, near oaklands rd , maybe wrong, but up that way...seems OK..any thoughts appreciated...