Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

My names Terry Beckwith and I just discovered this site by accident and started to fill up with much nostalgia.I played with two bands in the Barnsley area round about 1961 to newyears eve 1962. The first band was the Nocturnes whom Zeke, the initiater of this topic played with,I can't remember all names but there was Zeke Fisher on rhythm, Rob Holland on bass Lew ? on lead and me singing and druming, there was also Gary Utley who ran the band and kind of managed us, all the lads were at Barnsley art college. For most of my time with them we had to bus it to gigs including all the equipment which if you imagine carting drums and amplifers on the back of a double decker bus it made for quite a sight!

The second band was Shane Terry and the Rustlers with Alan Wood on lead, Pete Wright on drums, Dennis Warner on bass and Mil? on rhythm and I myself being Shane Terry, all the lads were from Birdwell. This band were less ambitious than the Nocturnes but I had a good time playing in this group.

If I get any response from this post I can talk more.

Terry

Hi ,yes Kenny Slade is at Walkley,lives near a guy called James Scanlan,who's band is the Beat Merchants,currently playing in and around Sheffield.

Hi everyone, I used to play in a band called 'California Knights' in the late 1960's, we covered chart hits including Beach Boys, Four Seasons etc, played at Black Swan, Cavendish, and many WMC throughout south Yorkshire, would love to hear from anyone who saw us.

Hi Tez ,my name is Roy I didn't play in the Knights but I saw them and knew them.I remember Sean Piggott his brother Vin,Chell Morton and Roy Mcginley and also Phil Wright .I used to play in a band at that time called Big Ben and the Chimes,perhaps you heard of them.I am in good contact with Sean if you want me to relay any message to him.

can anyone help me get in touch with DAVE MERIDITH former keyboard player

wth the CFS BAND during the 70's

Hi did u manage to get in touch with Dave Meridith ? ...

---------- Post added 08-11-2017 at 22:00 ----------

Hi there, I'd also like to get in touch with Dave, we were in 'Clearway' together before Dave joined CFS.

After Dave left CFS we reformed 'Clearway' but have lost touch in recent years, I was best man at Dave's wedding and Val & I were Godparents to his daughter 'Becky'.

Hi did you manage to get in touch with Dave meridith ?

Frank White Band, Scott William Combo, Dene Marshall and the Deputies, Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Frankenstein's Monsters...

Anybody remeber any of them, or are you all too young!!

Dave Berry eh? The Crying Game! Only hit record he ever made wasn't it? I've still got a copy on a 45.

It's a little bit before my time this really, I was only a babe growing up in the 60's, but with two older brothers at home I got exposed to a lot of the 60's stuff. The Dave Berry record is a hand-me-down, from my big bruv.

My memory of him, apart from watching his name rotate on a 45 beneath the fluff-gathering stylus of my Dansette, was seeing him out on the town in the 1970's. He used to dress like Bela Lugosi and strut around the clubs and The Nursery Tavern. Folks would whisper, "that's Dave Berry!" because he was something of a celebrity figure. But he'd had his day by then in terms of fame I think?

Other bands I remember from my era would be "ABC" - who I think made the big time for a while - and a band called "The Push". A friend of mine was a drummer for them. Crackin' lad - with a slight resemblance to Ringo Starr.

Edited by DerbyTup

Dave Berry eh? The Crying Game! Only hit record he ever made wasn't it? I've still got a copy on a 45.

It's a little bit before my time this really, I was only a babe growing up in the 60's, but with two older brothers at home I got exposed to a lot of the 60's stuff. The Dave Berry record is a hand-me-down, from my big bruv.

My memory of him, apart from watching his name rotate on a 45 beneath the fluff-gathering stylus of my Dansette, was seeing him out on the town in the 1970's. He used to dress like Bela Lugosi and strut around the clubs and The Nursery Tavern. Folks would whisper, "that's Dave Berry!" because he was something of a celebrity figure. But he'd had his day by then in terms of fame I think?

Other bands I remember from my era would be "ABC" - who I think made the big time for a while - and a band called "The Push". A friend of mine was a drummer for them. Crackin' lad - with a slight resemblance to Ringo Starr.

He had another hit with a record called Mama,

He had another hit with a record called Mama,
........Memphis Tennesse,... Little Things!

Jimmy Crawford, anybody remember him

Jimmy Crawford, anybody remember him
......look on previous threads and posts!

Can remember I think California band saw them at smthywood wmc Also bands like wolves , Ian and the Cherokees

Dave berry appeared at cubley hall near Penistone about twenty years ago his act was mainly covers of free and bad company songs as you say fame passed him by in the sixties but he is still a good entertainer.