St.Matthias School

I went to St. Matthias school. Left in '51. So did my sister. Beresford was the Headmaster.

Sigimund

don't remember them,

but it was a long time ago :):)

st.m. was a good school,we the girls- when the 3 schools were joined at greystones we knew more than the other 2 schools.for instance we girls used to do all kinds of dancing at st.m. the others never had that.

Sadly Fred Kent died a few months ago.

cheers from west oz.

Hi - my name's Andy Strafford and I attended St Matthias school between 1955-1961. There I've admitted it - didn't learn too much but fond memories.

I only recall the following pupils:- Jimmy Harrop, Kenneth Luckman, David Fairbrother, Susan Bownes, Susan Greaves and Carol Smith. I remember Carol Smith particularly as she was the girl who the headmistress (I thought it was a Mrs Beresford) took great pleasure in haranguing on a regular basis at morning assembly. I'm sure my last teacher was Mrs Williams but I've had so many they all tend to blur.

My strangest and strongest recollection is of the two, small, dumpy dinner

ladies. I can still see them in their green 'pinnies' digging out mashed potato from the aluminium serving pots with their bare hands and eating it as if it was the normal thing to do!!

As for educational standards.....the school rated D minus for the three R's and an A plus for Religious Education.

Bye the way, does anyone have or know how I may obtain images of either St Matthias School or St Matthias Church (Summerfield Street) because despite my best efforts I can't locate any.

Are there any ex pupils out there who attended St.Matthias School 1947-1957

My mum, Judy Hickman taught there in 1948.... I have a wonderful class photo I will post

Hi

Yes i would like to see the class photo.

Kind regards.

Yorkyhells

I can't see how to attach a picture!!

Hope you Succeed sorry i can't help you.

Kind regards

Yorkyhells

I went to St Matthias between 1959 1962 We lived on Cemetery Road,I remember the headmistress Mrs Benson and also Miss Talent,Miss Scholey and Mrs Tasker,for some reason the smell of Hyacinths always remind me of the old school I went to school with Georgina Harrop Susan Batty,Paul Schofield Trevor Davidson and Larry Ibbotson to name a few

Does anyone out there know where the records for this school are kept? I have family who went to this school back in the 1920s and am trying to local school records to try to find out more info. I have tried Sheffield Indexers but this school isn't listed.

Grannypat

Went there all my school life 1943 to 1953. Infant teachers Miss Hawksworth and Miss Linstead, others Mrs Ellis,Mrs Harrison,Mr Watson,Mr Crawshaw, Mr Roach, Mr Beresford, Headmaster, may have been more I cant remember, its been a long time. Hope this helps. Plenty of cane knocking around in those days,given to both sexes !

Anyone attend St.Matthias school 1947-1957