Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

24-06-2017, 18:48   #61
stpetre

Total Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Rotherhammers LOL
I've had stuff from Rotherham chip shops and no complaints there. Having worked in the London area many times, their 'fisheries' included items like 'Savaloys' and 'Faggots' (the food kind), they weren't keen on mushy peas tho', perhaps a northern thing ?
24-06-2017, 19:25   #62
andrejuan

Total Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyedges View Post
I remember the one at the top shops on Lowedges in the 1970's. Must admit I always thought the owner was a bloke. Can picture him now. Receding hair at the front. Used to go in there when the Grennell Mower called time.
If I remember correctly, the Son of the woman who owned it took over when she retired? I think she was Mrs Harris or Harrison.
_______
audi alteram partem
26-06-2017, 15:03   #63
scousemouse

Total Posts: 2,001
I worked at Parkhill 'the pavement' at a hairdressers, Fridays were fish and chip days, we went to Mrs Fox on South Lane (?) this was in the early 60,s
26-06-2017, 16:51   #64
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetre View Post
I've had stuff from Rotherham chip shops and no complaints there. Having worked in the London area many times, their 'fisheries' included items like 'Savaloys' and 'Faggots' (the food kind), they weren't keen on mushy peas tho', perhaps a northern thing ?
The reason I said Rotherhammers was in answer to the post about fish slices. I initially grew up in the Rotherham area, loosely( Catciffe and Brinsworth) and recall a few people referring to fish cakes as fish slices especially my grandmother. Mind you she was originally from Ilkeston in Derbyshire and maybe she picked that up there.
Concerning " faggots" people here in Canada are skeptical when I tell them that it is a kind of meatball in the UK lol

Last edited by TORONTONY; 26-06-2017 at 16:56.
26-06-2017, 17:03   #65
hillsbro

Total Posts: 6,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by focemal View Post
Heard someone today talking about a fish slice as opposed to a fishcake. These people clearly need Sheffield education!!
The same applies to Lincolnshire folk. Proper fishcakes are hard to find in Lincolnshire but when you do find a chippy that sells them they call them fritters. What we call rissoles they call fishcakes. Funny lot in Lincolnshire...
_______
Live like you mean it.
26-06-2017, 17:55   #66
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsbro View Post
The same applies to Lincolnshire folk. Proper fishcakes are hard to find in Lincolnshire but when you do find a chippy that sells them they call them fritters. What we call rissoles they call fishcakes. Funny lot in Lincolnshire...
Actually fishcakes is the most common term for what we called rissoles After all a rissole is really any form of minced meat or fish encrusted in bread crumbs and deep fried. If you buy them frozen. they are called fishcakes. I think this is why some people called our popular chippy fishcakes, fish slices, so as to distinguish the two. After all they are 2 slices of potato with a piece of fish in the middle, battered and deep fried. Fancy a couple right now, actually. Fat chance of that over here though.

Last edited by TORONTONY; 26-06-2017 at 17:57.
26-06-2017, 20:00   #67
beechnut

Total Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Actually fishcakes is the most common term for what we called rissoles ....
Not in Sheffield chippies it isn't.
_______

26-06-2017, 21:38   #68
jaffa1

Total Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechnut View Post
Not in Sheffield chippies it isn't.
I'll go along with that one. In Sheffield a fishcake is two slices of potato with fish in the middle then dipped in batter and fried. A rissole is .....well a rissole of course. It's been like that since Sheffield had its first chippy I suggest.
27-06-2017, 15:05   #69
hobinfoot

Total Posts: 305
Torries on Grimsthorpe Rd in the 60s. You could get good fish & chips from a lot of places back then because they were fried in dripping.
27-06-2017, 15:29   #70
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa1 View Post
I'll go along with that one. In Sheffield a fishcake is two slices of potato with fish in the middle then dipped in batter and fried. A rissole is .....well a rissole of course. It's been like that since Sheffield had its first chippy I suggest.
Well as rissole is a French word,, may I suggest some Frenchman was the first to open a chip shop in Sheffield, as they are called fishcakes everywhere else . LOL
27-06-2017, 15:45   #71
allwednesday

Total Posts: 1,042
Take a drive over to the chip inn at whitwell been over today from Beighton well worth the drive! proper thick fish cakes and nice white fish inside! also great chips and mushy pea! this is not your average chippy its really good
_______
Praise or grumble
29-06-2017, 19:00   #72
windswept

Total Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwednesday View Post
Take a drive over to the chip inn at whitwell been over today from Beighton well worth the drive! proper thick fish cakes and nice white fish inside! also great chips and mushy pea! this is not your average chippy its really good
If anyone is ever in the Bury area,there is a Chippy in Ramsbottom called the Wayward Tyke.It's original owner was from Yorkshire and he taught the present owner how to cook fish,chips and mushy peas the proper way,he still uses Dripping and makes really good proper fish cakes.So if you are ever over there bear it in mind you won't be disappointed
29-06-2017, 23:01   #73
sedith

Total Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyedges View Post
I remember the one at the top shops on Lowedges in the 1970's. Must admit I always thought the owner was a bloke. Can picture him now. Receding hair at the front. Used to go in there when the Grennell Mower called time.
Yeh, I remember that guy with the receeding hair who was in the chip shop.
I went out with a girl, Wendy, who worked in the Lowedges Chippy, I use to go in the Mower then have some fish and chips on the way back home. I use to go in and order fishcake and chips wrapped, she use to give me three lots of cod and chips, enough for me and my parents. Mum and dad use to get a bit fed up with me getting them out of bed at 11pm to have a fish and chip supper ... not very often they refused, ha, ha!! We lived in the maisonettes at the back of the chip shop, so they were still hot when I got home. Happy Days!!
Where I live chip shops are mainly a lunchtime affair, most shut at 8pm, even though I live by the coast in a holiday town. They all seem to want kebabs and the like when they have had a skinfull!
I couldn't imagine polishing off fish and chips at 11pm after a load of beer ...
funny how habits change ... probably for the better considering the health issues with eating a load of fried food just before going to bed?
_______
The Devil made me do it!
30-06-2017, 01:30   #74
WarPig

Total Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwednesday View Post
The owner is a member on here.
01-07-2017, 22:45   #75
Walkley

Total Posts: 10
No contest. The best fish/chips was Bestall`s on Bolover Street. It was a husband and wife operation and they worked well as a team. He did the cooking and she did the serving. Every night there was a queue that went right out of the store.
With the building of the Arts Block at the university the place was demolished and I heard they moved to the Ecclesall area.
Anyhow the best chippy.
01-07-2017, 23:53   #76
johnlittle

Total Posts: 52
Does anyone recall a fish & chip shop on Hucklow Road
from over 60 years ago or am I imagining it? It was basically the front room of a terraced house and was a few doors away from my grandparents. Seem to recall it from about the time of Saturday nights at the Roxy picture house followed by a fish supper. Simple pleasures!
02-07-2017, 08:53   #77
Asaw

Total Posts: 1,172
Send a message via MSN to Asaw
Forgot who owned it. The chippy was at the junction of Somerville terrace and whitehouse lane on the early 60's really enjoyed there scollops walking back from the speedway on a thursday
02-07-2017, 09:25   #78
hillsbro

Total Posts: 6,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaw View Post
Forgot who owned it...
Listed in Kelly's as Arthur Rodgers.
_______
Live like you mean it.
02-07-2017, 12:51   #79
johnlittle

Total Posts: 52
In fact, the one I recall was in my memory actually on Wheldrake Rd, where my grandparents lived, off Hucklow Rd itself. Apologies but I am thinking back to perhaps mid 1950s and time plays tricks. As a ten year old boy, a frozen 'joystick' lolly at the cinema followed by the chips and fish seemed like the perfect treat!
Reply To Topic