Goodbye to Uber??

TFL (Transport for London) have just announced they will not renew Uber's licence in the capital when it expires at the end of September.

Quite damning reasons too.

The beginning of the end??

TFL says their licence won't be renewed at the end of September.

Will Sheffield council do the same? Fairly damning reasons given RE customer safety.

Not the first city to take a stand against them, won't be the last.

Just go's to show if you run an operation as dodgy as theirs you'll eventually catch heat from the authorities.

I can see Uber going belly up, with the concept being successfully applied by someone with slightly better morals.

They don't need to be licensed in Sheffield in order to operate in Sheffield.

Guest makapaka
Not the first city to take a stand against them, won't be the last.

Just go's to show if you run an operation as dodgy as theirs you'll eventually catch heat from the authorities.

I can see Uber going belly up, with the concept being successfully applied by someone with slightly better morals.

Why is it dodgy? I’m not disagreeing with you - I’m genuinely interested - I don’t know much about Uber.

<deleted by user>

Edited by gribz
Deleted

Why is it dodgy? I’m not disagreeing with you - I’m genuinely interested - I don’t know much about Uber.

Until the courts forced them to Uber was not giving drivers holiday pay, pensions or other workers’ rights.

It has also been found to conduct insufficient criminal backround checks, failure to report serious criminal offences and use of software which prevents officials from regulation and enforcement against it's drivers.

Edited by geared

If 3.5 million Londoners are using Uber surely Transport for London would be better off making sure there is a tighter regulatory process for Uber and making sure they follow it rather than just shutting them down altogether.

It's worth noting that one of the plaintiffs in the court case against Uber re unfair employment practises has criticised this decision.

Has it just made 40,000 drivers unemployed?

Nah, they can still operate until Uber has exhausted all it's available appeals.

After that they'll probably just jump to Lyft or whoever moves fastest to fill Uber's shoes.

Guest makapaka
Until the courts forced them to Uber was not giving drivers holiday pay, pensions or other workers’ rights.

It has also been found to conduct insufficient criminal backround checks, failure to report serious criminal offences and use of software which prevents officials from regulation and enforcement against it's drivers.

Thanks - I do recall the workers rights issues thinking about it.

TFL (Transport for London) have just announced they will not renew Uber's licence in the capital when it expires at the end of September.

Quite damning reasons too.

The beginning of the end??

they will appeal, its just the lefty council and lefty TFL not wanting private enterprises to flourish, no surprise that khan has stuck his 2 penneth in:roll:

almost guarantee they will get their licence in September.:love:

if not other firms with a similar business model like TAXIFY will take over.

Edited by nowt2pctoday