Charged over £14 for a custom charge ?

I have ordered from America before and never been charged extra for a custom charge, I ordered a CD and T-shirt from an official band website but this time, they are charging me over £14 just to get the parcel ! I did not notice anything on the website that there was going to be an extra charge, I had already paid for the shipping which was almost $14 (like always). Since when did the Royal Mail started to do this ?

You have to pay VAT and Duty on imports over a certain amount...it's not the RM charging you but Customs and Excise (or whatever they're called today)..RM may well have paid it for you but will want re-imbursing..

Maybe it was luck that your other orders got through without customs charge, It is not Royal Mail it is HM Customs

Royal mail and other couriers whack their own charge on top, to make abit of money out of you.

I've been in a similar spot, where the customs charges were a couple of quid and the courier 'fee' was a tenner :loopy:

Yes, I now understand that it's HM customs that have charged me and not Royal Mail. I have ordered at least 10 times to America before and never been charged this is what I can't understand they must be getting super strict with custom charge now days.

Yeah I'm guessing then I must have been very lucky before then.

RM will be charging you. Look at the document they sent you. I bet there's a "handling" charge. That has nothing to do with HM Customs. That's RM's greed.

A lot of people will put "gift" on the customs label which means you don't have to pay import duty.

I have ordered from America before and never been charged extra for a custom charge, I ordered a CD and T-shirt from an official band website but this time, they are charging me over £14 just to get the parcel ! I did not notice anything on the website that there was going to be an extra charge, I had already paid for the shipping which was almost $14 (like always). Since when did the Royal Mail started to do this ?

£8 of that is a Royal Mail handling fee.

If your parcel's value (including postage) is over £15, you stand a chance of being hit with import VAT. If the value is over £135, you can add customs duty to that. You've been lucky not to have had a parcel hit by customs before; not all parcels are examined, but they do seem to be cracking down a bit of late.

The change to the regs in January was that the value for 'gifts' was reduced from £40 to £36.

Good luck getting a non-shady shop to mark a purchase as a gift. Most say they won't in their T&Cs.

always get the shipper to mark it as "samples no commercial value" on the box / packet, ask them to supply a nominal invoice with $5.00 on it with the package.

no duty or vat will be charged.

always get the shipper to mark it as "samples no commercial value" on the box / packet, ask them to supply a nominal invoice with $5.00 on it with the package.

no duty or vat will be charged.

... and run the risk of being prosecuted.

A very small risk, but it is there nonetheless.

... and run the risk of being prosecuted.

A very small risk, but it is there nonetheless.

if its a single small item say from e-bay or similar no risk whatsover and its usually the freight handlers like royal mail , dhl, fed ex etc trying it on for an extra handling fee.