Charged over £14 for a custom charge ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a big problem with downloads or streaming but it's nice to see someone buying records! :)

I dont stream, but i do download the odd one that i cant buy, or freebies. But vinyl has been a big obsession of mine, since i was like 10/11, buying police singles on popex and adam and the ants singles as they came out, then massively into punk, buying a few "dance" 12"s too in the early rave days, Gong and Hawkwind lps

even when it went out of fashion, i was still buying vinyl, mainly second hand tho as there wasnt many brand new ones coming out, one or two punk labels were but.....now i seem to be in fashion again Oo

I also have tons and tons of cds mind.

Like the OP I have bought several things from China and never been charged a customs fee/bill, I'm expecting a parcel from china any day now, will let you know if there are charges this time.

The parcel arrived from China today, import duty free.

Think i worked out who the parcel is from i need to pay customs to, a 90s indie psychedelic band (i think from america) called Pinapples.

They were doing a give away of 4 free records, so i might give it a miss paying £17 to the mail and not to the band, hopefully the parcel will go back to the band, not a lot ill miss really, apart from not having 4 slabs of vinyl :(

If it's from outside the EU and worth more than £15 , you have to pay import VAT.

It's right you should. If you can buy a t-shirt from the USA worth £20 and it be sold at £20, but a UK seller selling the same £20 t-shirst has to add VAT on as he sells it = £24 , it puts him at a massive disadvantage.

All couriers - Post Office, DHL , whover add a 'handing charge' because they are doing the import paperwork, collecting the money for HMRC, and that costs them manpower and admin.

If it's from outside the EU and worth more than £15 , you have to pay import VAT.

All couriers - Post Office, DHL , whover add a 'handing charge' because they are doing the import paperwork, collecting the money for HMRC, and that costs them manpower and admin.

I have bought lots of stuff from the States..(m/cycle parts etc) it depends on how the seller ships them..if they come by ......

USPS Priority Mail International..Standard Shipping...then VAT is payable on the total amount i.e..price of the item plus the shipping charge,the item(s) come to the Royal Mail and there is an extra charge added for handling...used to be £8...all payments have to be made before delivery or pick-up....on the other hand lots use the Global Shipping Programme..using this method there are No additional import charges on delivery including payments to R/Mail...all costs are upfront to see...I have used this method myself lots of times when i have bought/sold items oversea's....delivery charges are usually less too...:cool:

I have bought lots of stuff from the States..(m/cycle parts etc) it depends on how the seller ships them..if they come by ......

USPS Priority Mail International..Standard Shipping...then VAT is payable on the total amount i.e..price of the item plus the shipping charge,the item(s) come to the Royal Mail and there is an extra charge added for handling...used to be £8...all payments have to be made before delivery or pick-up....on the other hand lots use the Global Shipping Programme..using this method there are No additional import charges on delivery including payments to R/Mail...all costs are upfront to see...I have used this method myself lots of times when i have bought/sold items oversea's....delivery charges are usually less too...:cool:

That's better, as it's clear to see before buying. It makes price comparison easier too.

The playing field is uneven though. I sell to the usa and australia, they don't charge import duty coming from us to them, until value is £500 ish.

That's better, as it's clear to see before buying. It makes price comparison easier too.

The playing field is uneven though. I sell to the usa and australia, they don't charge import duty coming from us to them, until value is £500 ish.

I sell thro' E-Bay using the Global Shipping Programme and send via Hermes,..the package (tracked) is taken to a UK shipping depot (GSP) at Lichfield/Staffs and from there it is shipped internationally,when it is shipped GSP provide all the tracking details,just to add i have never had a problem with either,.. for hundreds of items...but...i s'pose there is always a first time...:cool:;)