SHEFFIELD SHAMBLERS WALKING GROUP - All you need to know about us!

SHEFFIELD FORUM SHAMBLERS

"SOCIABLE WALKING FOR SOCIABLE PEOPLE"

Welcome to the Sheffield Forum Shamblers.

Do you enjoy walking but want to do this at a leisurely pace? Fed up with walking groups that want to “beat the clock” over the distance of the walk? Or maybe you are new to walking and fear that you won’t be able to “keep up” with experienced walkers? Then come and join THE SHEFFIELD FORUM SHAMBLERS! Details of all our walks and regular social events can be found in the ‘Monthly Diary’ sticky thread in the ‘Sheffield Walkers’ section.

Additional information is also available on our website http://www.shamblers.org.uk

Who are we?

We are a group of people of all ages and from every walk of life who enjoy walking and love having a good time. Pleasant company and a good sense of humour is essential on all our walks. Anyone looking for formal walks organised with military precision, qualified guides and strict codes of conduct, then this club is not for you!

Dogs are always welcome, but must be kept on a lead at all times.

Our walks

We offer weekly Sunday walks all year round which are usually around 6-8 miles in length.

Most Fridays we provide short 3-4 mile walks which normally end up with a café stop at the end. Occasional midweek evening walks are also provided for people who fancy a brisk walk somewhere in the suburbs of Sheffield, followed by a pub visit afterwards. These walks are normally 3-5 miles in length and last about 1.5 hours.

Our walking speed is usually @ 3 miles per hour and we walk as a social group - waiting until the slowest person has climbed over a stile to make sure that he or she is safe for instance.

Where we walk

Weekend walks normally take place around South Yorkshire and the Peak District, which have some of the most attractive villages and countryside in England.

Summer evening walks usually take place within the boundaries of Sheffield itself.

Regular stops are arranged to admire the views, the flora, fauna, birds and other wildlife. Sharing local information and any general knowledge about the countryside and walking in general is always encouraged.

Important information

Every person who chooses to join a walk is accepting that they are competent to complete the walk and that they are personally responsible for themselves and their own actions. They will be expected to wear appropriate clothing, suitable footwear and be required to bring a packed lunch and a drink. Anyone who the organisers feel is not adequately equipped for the walk will not be allowed to take part, for everyone’s safety.

On each walk there will be at least one Walk Leader who has been trained by Natural England and who is experienced in walk leading. As an organisation,The Sheffield Forum Shamblers are members of Walking for Health (WFI), a government backed organisation which promotes the benefits of walking for health reasons. As part of this organisation we are able to offer civil liability insurance cover to anyone who participates in any of our walks, subject to the successful completion of a health questionnaire prior to them joining the Shamblers. It is a requirement that all walkers complete the health questionnaire prior to walking with us.

Our walk leaders are not qualified, nor are they ‘experts’; they are just a group of amateur walkers sharing local knowledge and information amongst equals. As a group we do not provide any formal instruction or take any responsibility for the safety of participants, but we do provide a group of friendly people to enjoy walking in the countryside with!

Please be aware that if the weather is particularly unsociable (i.e. deep snow, ice, storms etc) a cancellation of the walk will be posted on the thread at the earliest opportunity, so please check on the Forum before setting out. The object of The Shamblers is to enjoy the walk – not to make it into an endurance test!

Joining the Shamblers

If you decide to become a `Shambler` you will receive regular newsletters, and will have the opportunity to join other members on regular social meetings which include themed nights, bowling nights, murder mystery parties, meals out, pub meets, birthday and Christmas parties, and weekends away to name but a few!

There is no charge for becoming a Shambler, nor for joining in any of our walks, but people will be encouraged to help with fundraising activities wherever possible. This is to help buy essential equipment like maps, compasses, guide books, first aid equipment, and also to help subsidise some social events.

If you are interested in joining The Shamblers either contact one of the organisers (see below), or post directly on to a walks thread. Come and join us – we are a friendly bunch of people.

SHEFFIELD FORUM SHAMBLERS

Head Shambler, Communications and Walks Organiser: Scoobz

Finances, Social Secretary: Hemlock

Secretary, New Members: Billysmum

Health and Safety: Hippiechick3

Walks Organiser, Fundraising: Village Owl

Edited by scoobz
changes to the organisation

Oh and we have a song. It goes.....Remember you're a Shambler! ( Wombles theme tune). But we only sing it at meetings so newbies are safe.

2 songs actually. (Clears throat).

All around, over ground, Shambling free

The Shamblers of Sheffield Forum are we

Making good use of the paths that we find

Losing our way or leaving others behind

Words courtesy of Hippiechick3. Further verses are welcome.

Edited by Hemlock
changing words of song

2 songs actually. (Clears throat).

Overground, overground Shambling free

The Shamblers of Sheffield Forum are we

Making good use of the paths that we find

Sometimes leaving some walkers behind

Words courtesy of Hippiechick3. Further verses are welcome.

Oh I see -my rendition of the whole song not good enough now eh? :mad:(:D)

BTW - you've got the words wrong anyway!!:hihi:

Oh I see -my rendition of the whole song not good enough now eh? :mad:(:D)

BTW - you've got the words wrong anyway!!:hihi:

I wanted to let a bit out at a time, and secretly was hoping for a better version of the other verses. And you can always correct my mental recollection of the ditty,Old Woman, you've got the powers!

I wanted to let a bit out at a time, and secretly was hoping for a better version of the other verses. And you can always correct my mental recollection of the ditty,Old Woman, you've got the powers!

Ooooh you can be so hurtful!:hihi:

I think they were really good (that's MY version - not yours:D) You've probably forgotton how good they were with your mental recollection being so poor:o

I thought hemlock's verses were grand piano. I, for one, am very happy to be a sheffield shambler. Hi ho, hi ho it's off to walk we go.

:)

Thank you for the vote of confidence Zippy!:D

I thought hemlock's verses were grand piano. I, for one, am very happy to be a sheffield shambler. Hi ho, hi ho it's off to walk we go.

:)

Sccobs = grumpy dwarf?

OooooO this sounds like one for me... was always told I was a shamble!

Would be interested in joining group.. But may require lift with some one every now and then. Also if group leader gets intouch can help with maps etc .

regards

Andrew

Would be interested in joining group.. But may require lift with some one every now and then. Also if group leader gets intouch can help with maps etc .

regards

Andrew

Hi Lohtse,

I'm one of the walk co-ordinators for the Sheffield Shamblers walks, and you'd be made most welcome if you decided to come along on a walk. You'll find us all a very social, friendly and welcoming group.

Regarding needing a lift now and again, we do run a car sharing pool to most walks. We ask those who can offer lifts and those who need them to post on the walk thread and then they sort it out between themselves via pm etc.

Hopefully we'll see you on a walk with us soon,maybe evening this coming Sunday; and I'll get our new members officer to get in touch with you soon.

Edited by scoobz
wording - legal reasons